• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this suede boot with the plantation crepe sole may be the most comfortable boot i've ever put on my feet

PeterParker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
This is 100% true in my opinion. I have three pair of Aldens - one in Calf and two in Shell - which differ by .5 in length one letter width or both (so 8D and 7.5C and 7C). The smaller shoes are Shell. The difference between the 8D and 7.5C is almost meaningless. To contrast the difference between the shell pairs - sized 7C and 7.5C - is obvious and dramatic. Due to this experiment, I'm firmly in the "one width down for shell" camp.
I can't make any sense of this. Shell fitting looser than calf somewhat makes sense since the cordovan leather is thinner than calf. But the comparison of sizes seems backwards. From my experience, going up a half-size in length is similar to going up a width, but what you are saying is going up a half size in length AND a width does not dramatically affect fit.
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Type of leather, makeup of shoe-type of welt, sole, plain toe vs nst, etc, all will have some effect on the fit. I would say 90% of people don't adjust size because of it.
Tom, please enlighten those of us who do not have the luxury of trying shoes on before purchasing how adjustments should be made for sizing for the aforementioned factors. If I were to guess, I'd say all things being equal (same size on same last): - Calf fits smaller than cordovan - Reverse welt fits smaller than regular close welt - Double leather/commando/crepe sole fits smaller than single leather sole - Mocc toe/NST fits smaller than plain toe How does one quantify these factors to adjust sizing? I can't imagine a single contributing factor warranting a change in size, but perhaps multiple factors would require a change in sizing. Apologies in advance for putting you on the spot; I know your sentiments about dispensing sizing advice via the internet, but any illumination on this would be much appreciated!

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PeterParker
But the comparison of sizes seems backwards. From my experience, going up a half-size in length is similar to going up a width, but what you are saying is going up a half size in length AND a width does not dramatically affect fit.

Sorry if I was unclear. What I'm saying is for this particular pair of shoes: 8D in calf looks and fits very similarly to a 7.5C in shell. It's clear they're not the same size, but the difference in width is nowhere near what I expected. Additionally a 7C in shell is very obviously smaller than a 7.5C in shell.

Steve Thomas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JonB27
Here are my AF53, like others have said for this particular last go down a 1/2 size

alden.jpg

Holy crap I have a new object of desire!!!!!!

JonB27

Reaction score
^^ I've had those for quite some time now and they get some decent use, I'll try to post up some more pics of them soon.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't make any sense of this. Shell fitting looser than calf somewhat makes sense since the cordovan leather is thinner than calf. But the comparison of sizes seems backwards. From my experience, going up a half-size in length is similar to going up a width, but what you are saying is going up a half size in length AND a width does not dramatically affect fit.

Tom, please enlighten those of us who do not have the luxury of trying shoes on before purchasing how adjustments should be made for sizing for the aforementioned factors.

If I were to guess, I'd say all things being equal (same size on same last):

- Calf fits smaller than cordovan
- Reverse welt fits smaller than regular close welt
- Double leather/commando/crepe sole fits smaller than single leather sole
- Mocc toe/NST fits smaller than plain toe

How does one quantify these factors to adjust sizing? I can't imagine a single contributing factor warranting a change in size, but perhaps multiple factors would require a change in sizing.

Apologies in advance for putting you on the spot; I know your sentiments about dispensing sizing advice via the internet, but any illumination on this would be much appreciated!

You are over thinking this and heading down the street to madness. If it were that easy than all of this information would be posted. I have several shoes on the Barrie last, with different welts, soles and made from different leathers. They all fit me the same size. You completely over looked the facts (Tom says 90% of people don't adjust size because of these factors) and went straight for your fears and preconceived notions.

Don't be that guy.

Walking Man

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I recently purchased the Ultimate Indy's and was wondering if anyone can give me any info on how durable they are in the rain? Thanks in advance.

PeterParker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
You are over thinking this and heading down the street to madness. If it were that easy than all of this information would be posted. I have several shoes on the Barrie last, with different welts, soles and made from different leathers. They all fit me the same size. You completely over looked the facts (Tom says 90% of people don't adjust size because of these factors) and went straight for your fears and preconceived notions.

Don't be that guy.

My bad. I interpreted Tom saying that 90% of people not adjusting size for those factors as a mistake, as in it was something that should be considered. But if that 90% is doing the sensible thing and sizing properly, that's a completely different story.

My paranoia can probably be explained by my anticipation of a pair of calf boots which I sized the same as my cordovan boots (although Barrie vs. Trubalance last). Sizing was not even a concern until the calf vs. cordovan, welt, sole, etc. topic was brought up.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My bad. I interpreted Tom saying that 90% of people not adjusting size for those factors as a mistake, as in it was something that should be considered. But if that 90% is doing the sensible thing and sizing properly, that's a completely different story.

My paranoia can probably be explained by my anticipation of a pair of calf boots which I sized the same as my cordovan boots (although Barrie vs. Trubalance last). Sizing was not even a concern until the calf vs. cordovan, welt, sole, etc. topic was brought up.

Well let us know if you have a problem but I doubt you will. I understand, reading this thread can make you second guess when you are waiting for sometimes months for a pair of shoes.

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Type of leather, makeup of shoe-type of welt, sole, plain toe vs nst, etc, all will have some effect on the fit. I would say 90% of people don't adjust size because of it.
Tom, could you please explain how and why do you think that the exterior patterns such as handsewn stitching as in NST or (perhaps?) machine stitching or (perhaps even?) perforations as in wingtip/longwing style may affect sizing? After all, IMHO, these are relative to the exterior look of shoes/boots and have, or more correctly, should nothing to do with the interior of shoes/boots and thus their sizing.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like I said, 90% of people don't adjust sizes based on style...

I don't really want to get too into this because I don't want to confuse people even more than they already are about Alden lasts! But, for examples sake...

I have a wingtip blucher...shell cordovan, regular welt that fits tighter than another version in suede with a reverse welt. I wear both in the same size without any complaints.

I also have a shell cordovan chukka that I can fit comfortably in but also have a shell cordovan NST blucher in the same size that is slightly tighter. I also wear both in the same size without any complaints.

What really messes me up is wearing my bespoke Cleverleys then trying on a pair of Aldens.

laugh.gif

itsjustadrian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Walking Man
Hi everybody. I recently purchased the Ultimate Indy's and was wondering if anyone can give me any info on how durable they are in the rain? Thanks in advance.

No rain damage on my Ultimate Kudus. But then again, they're oiled up so I imagine rain just slicks off. Also, the amount of rain in southern California is pitiful compared to other states so I don't know if my experiences have much weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads