• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic1

Reaction score
Tom,

Will you be reordering the Chromexcel NST boot with Commando sole again? You stocked it in brown and black, I think on the barrie or plaza last. That was such a great casual boot...

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magic1
Tom,

Will you be reordering the Chromexcel NST boot with Commando sole again? You stocked it in brown and black, I think on the barrie or plaza last. That was such a great casual boot...

Yes, most definitely! It was on preorder #17 I believe. The black version was one of my all time favorite boots.

mbrokerny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreatHighway
sorry if this has been posted, but heres a good video about shell cordovan
smile.gif

Great video, bet it smells pretty bad in that factory
eek.gif

mpcec

Reaction score
Quick question concerning lasts/ sizes. Will all boots made on the Barrie last fit the same? For example If I went and tried on some Alden boots (Barrie last) in NYC, should I be the same size in those as I would be for the Context Tankers (also on Barrie last), or might they be tagged differently?

Probably a stupid question.

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mpcec
Quick question concerning lasts/ sizes. Will all boots made on the Barrie last fit the same? For example If I went and tried on some Alden boots (Barrie last) in NYC, should I be the same size in those as I would be for the Context Tankers (also on Barrie last), or might they be tagged differently?

Probably a stupid question.

I don't think the city where the boot is sold makes a difference, but my Barrie lasted NST cordovan boots fit tighter than my Barrie lasted chukkas and shoes, all in the same size, for what it's worth.

mpcec

Reaction score
Yeah I mean... I didn't mean the city. I just meant that if Alden is making a boot for Blackbird/ Context/ Whoever, is sizing still consistent with the lasts, or might Blackbird/ Context/ Whoever choose to tag the sizes differently... like make an Alden 9 into a 10 for example.

Appreciate the advice, will make sure when I try on boots its the same type of leather as well.

Magic1

Reaction score
I think that in theory, all shoes/boots made on the same last, fit the same, with the exception of cordovan. I think cordovan shoes/boots tend to be slightly bigger fitting.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mpcec
Yeah I mean... I didn't mean the city. I just meant that if Alden is making a boot for Blackbird/ Context/ Whoever, is sizing still consistent with the lasts, or might Blackbird/ Context/ Whoever choose to tag the sizes differently... like make an Alden 9 into a 10 for example.

Appreciate the advice, will make sure when I try on boots its the same type of leather as well.

Alden says what size the shoes are, not the retailer.

BUT, different styles do affect the fit of a shoe or boot- even when it is the same size and last. They fit pretty close but not exact. I believe the type of leather could slightly affect the fit but it is more so the actual style and shape of the shoe.

JonB27

Reaction score
Will be out in Bev Hills shopping tomorrow, where exactly is Leather Soul BH? want to pick up a couple boots?

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spats
I don't think the city where the boot is sold makes a difference, but my Barrie lasted NST cordovan boots fit tighter than my Barrie lasted chukkas and shoes, all in the same size, for what it's worth.
I cannot prove it but the boots on the Barrie last look smaller than the shoes on the Barrie last. I do not feel a difference on the inside but my boots look much more sleek.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magic1
I think that in theory, all shoes/boots made on the same last, fit the same, with the exception of cordovan. I think cordovan shoes/boots tend to be slightly bigger fitting.

the Natural indy boots and PTBs I saw yesterday (both barrie) were in 10 and 10.5, and they looked HUGE compared to my feet, which are a 10.5 on the barrie

LynahFaithful

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Yes, most definitely! It was on preorder #17 I believe. The black version was one of my all time favorite boots.

Tom,

Do you know when preorder 15 and 16 goodies will be delivered?

Thanks.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonfoote303
I believe the type of leather could slightly affect the fit but it is more so the actual style and shape of the shoe.

This is 100% true in my opinion. I have three pair of Aldens - one in Calf and two in Shell - which differ by .5 in length one letter width or both (so 8D and 7.5C and 7C). The smaller shoes are Shell. The difference between the 8D and 7.5C is almost meaningless. To contrast the difference between the shell pairs - sized 7C and 7.5C - is obvious and dramatic.

Due to this experiment, I'm firmly in the "one width down for shell" camp.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JonB27
Will be out in Bev Hills shopping tomorrow, where exactly is Leather Soul BH? want to pick up a couple boots?

Corner of Rodeo and Little Santa Monica, across Missoni.

Originally Posted by LynahFaithful
Tom,

Do you know when preorder 15 and 16 goodies will be delivered?

Thanks.

Which shoe did you order again?

Originally Posted by Joenobody0
This is 100% true in my opinion. I have three pair of Aldens - one in Calf and two in Shell - which differ by .5 in length one letter width or both (so 8D and 7.5C and 7C). The smaller shoes are Shell. The difference between the 8D and 7.5C is almost meaningless. To contrast the difference between the shell pairs - sized 7C and 7.5C - is obvious and dramatic.

Due to this experiment, I'm firmly in the "one width down for shell" camp.

Type of leather, makeup of shoe-type of welt, sole, plain toe vs nst, etc, all will have some effect on the fit. I would say 90% of people don't adjust size because of it.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Type of leather, makeup of shoe-type of welt, sole, plain toe vs nst, etc, all will have some effect on the fit. I would say 90% of people don't adjust size because of it.

That's good to know. My (admittedly anecdotal) experience was all based on exactly the same style of shoe: same last, welt, etc. The only difference was size and material.

I'm sure there's also some variation in fit due to how tightly/well the shoe was lasted. Additionally, if you're not towards the extreme edge of width then changing material probably wouldn't make much difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads