• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are college athletics good or bad?

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KenRose
You are actually mistaken. The reason so many universities fund athletic programs is because they help the university make money. The program itself may lose money but as a whole they bring in more students because of it, resulting in increased revenues. This is a proven statistic. In fact, a direct correlation has been make with universities having a significant decline in male students when they cut their football program, or an identical increase when they add it.

that's not exactly a good argument, lol.

and i'm not technically mistaken at all, because even you just said that the programs lose money. that's the problem here.

let's not get into the marketing of college sports -- i simply don't care if the athletics are attracting more students. the point of a school is not to attract more students with football. it's to give students who want to learn the best possible education they can. this is common sense.

i know that what you're saying is true and is the status quo. this thread is all about whether or not the status quo is fine, or if something should be done about it.

PS: i'm not basing this off of anything but my own common sense -- but i think it goes without saying that kids would still go to college if all athletics suddenly dropped off the face of the earth. choosing one school over another because of a football team would obviously not be a factor anymore, so kids would choose the best school for their circumstances.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
let's not get into the marketing of college sports -- i simply don't care if the athletics are attracting more students. the point of a school is not to attract more students with football. it's to give students who want to learn the best possible education they can. this is common sense.

Woah woah woah....lolwut?

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
^^^ What about schools that don't have successful programs and still dumping money into athletics?

Your statement doesn't make sense. If they are making money for the school, then the school itself wouldn't be in crisis and having tuition hikes.

no, they athletics are not making money for the schools. thats a fact. you can count on both of your hands the amount of schools that actually profit from their athletic programs. i know ohio state is one. they actually buy **** for the school with that money, and that's great.

i didn't really understand his post, either.

but yeah, my university is a great example of what you're talking about here. it's a small university that has a football program that's...i don't remember the specific division but it's the one under division III or whatever. they just dump money into this stupid football program and fire teachers as a result. it's ridiculous.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got my under from Mizzou. But I spent a year at U missouri-kansas city. The university dumped 7 million dollars to build a soccer stadium for the soccer team when the team always had a losing record, while the tuition went up 15%. Made no sense at all.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sports are exciting to watch, but I think people care too much for athletics while in college when they should be focused on other things. just my opinion.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sports science is very advanced in the US as a result of college sports. Especially in power based sports. thats one advantage.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
i HATE college football. he was curious why. when it came down to it........
This is so full of wrong I don't know where to begin, but I'll sum it up: -Many, many schools make shitloads of money off of athletics. Texas pulls in $140 million or so with a budget of $95-100 million. That's about $40 million that gets put back into the academics or capital investment yearly. -Athletics make schools more attractive to potential students. -Better students make more lucrative alumni. -Richer alumni make better boosters. -Wash, rinse, repeat. So even if schools aren't making money directly from athletics (and many are), without athletics, substantial parts of their endowments are coming from people whose interest in the school would have been negligible without athletics. Athletics is a product and there is a market for it regardless if its offered by schools. If it's not, it will be offered (and the recipient of subsequent revenue) from another source.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
sports science is very advanced in the US as a result of college sports. Especially in power based sports. thats one advantage.
Because it helps, how, what?

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meh, I love me some athletics.
There is more to life than calc. And as Sh pointed out college sports help build the brand.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
Because it helps, how, what?

well im not going to get into an argument over the benefit of sports science because its not really something i care for alot.

but alot of sports lovers will question the value of arts and culture so you cant really take one away without removing the other.

and without sport or art humanity would be a boring state of existance.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well im not going to get into an argument over the benefit of sports science because its not really something i care for alot.

but alot of sports lovers will question the value of arts and culture so you cant really take one away without removing the other.

There's that.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
athletics are good. it's just that overdoing (or more accurately, overemphasizing) even a good thing can be bad. that, and completely shafting the players that are the prime source of value for these programs, but that's sending this thread spiraling in a different direction
devil.gif

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score

a lot is two words. (sorry, pet peeve)

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was having a discussion with a buddy about college football.

i HATE college football. he was curious why. when it came down to it, i hate college sports because universities end up losing money just to keep athletics going, and i feel like college athletics are just a huge clusterfuck that's taking away resources that could be spent on something that actually matters: like college. you know, like books and ****. learning. what college is actually supposed to be about.

few universities actually MAKE money off of their football programs.

what do you guys think?

If you are in college or have gone to college, you know that it is about MORE than just book-learning. It is a time to grow personally and socially. Also, it is a time to find out what you really want to do with your life by trying out a multitude of different things. Enjoying athletics is another aspect of college. College, frankly, would blow if there were no sporting events to attend or rivalries between schools.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads