• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

GQ1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lrs3
Does anyone have a size comparison between H&M and BB ESF? Thanks

Pretty close size wise, miles apart quality wise
wink.gif

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aizan
are your pants low rise? boo shirts work best as either casual wear worn untucked or tucked into pants with a regular or high rise.

yeah, that is the problem. I've got a few pairs of higher-rise pants these should well with.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lrs3
Does anyone have a size comparison between H&M and BB ESF? Thanks

BB ESF is much slimmer. I have a few H&M dress shirts in size M that fit me perfectly. I ordered a 15.5 BB ESF and had to give it to my dad, who's skinnier than me, because it was just too small. Also, while BB ESF was too snug in the chest and shoulders, the waist was too large. I would not recommend BB ESF for athletic type bodies. Better to buy 5 H&M shirts.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bboysdontcryy
Frankly, I think one of the best -- if not only -- way to have a shirt fitted is to have it made-to-measure.

+100. With the time and effort that is spent trying on different brands, the fit, cut, fabric of each, its far better to go MTM: you get a much wider choice of styles and fabrics, you can have whatever cut/fit you want and since the fabric is usually much better than OTR, will last you a lot longer. I've seen people wear MTM shirts that look pretty new, but are 7-8 years old. Definitely a much better investment than OTR.

jamays00

Reaction score
how slim is a AA oxford? review on their website seem decent if you size down.
looks like I would wear a small. I am 5'11" 165

does uniqlo oxfords fit slimmer that those?

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
BB ESF is much slimmer. I have a few H&M dress shirts in size M that fit me perfectly. I ordered a 15.5 BB ESF and had to give it to my dad, who's skinnier than me, because it was just too small. Also, while BB ESF was too snug in the chest and shoulders, the waist was too large. I would not recommend BB ESF for athletic type bodies. Better to buy 5 H&M shirts.

I would.

I have a 42 inch chest and a 32 inch waist. Pretty developed shoulders, also. I'm not a huge guy or anything, but def athletic. BB extra slims fit me perfect. You have to size up one size. The larger waist comment shocks me. I own 3 extra slim sports shirt and 4 extra slim dress shirts and the waist is not big at all. Sure, they are not as trim as my MTM shirts, but pretty darn close.

I owned a few HM shirts when I was in college, and overall they were garbage (in my opinion). I'd size up and go BB x10000.

Aristocrat2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gregp
Does anyone know any retailers that have slim fit shirts with 38in sleeve length (and 16.5 neck) that sell online? The only one I've found are TM Lewins Windsor Slim Fit Shirt: http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/ProductList...dsorSemiFitted

Thanks!

Slim fit Eton shirts would be a good option. Their 16.5 neck has a sleeve length of 37" or if you go up to 17" neck, the sleeve length is 37 3/4. Their shirts look immaculate even after a full day of wear.

We sell them online at Robert Old at http://www.robertold.co.uk/acatalog/Eton_Shirts.html

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a guy with a thick neck but is slim elsewhere? I wear a 16-16.5", but I have a 38 chest and a 32 waist. Makes buying shirts freakin' impossible.

Aristocrat2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TKJTG
Any recommendations for a guy with a thick neck but is slim elsewhere? I wear a 16-16.5", but I have a 38 chest and a 32 waist. Makes buying shirts freakin' impossible.

What about made-to-measure shirts?

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TKJTG

Try the brooks brother extra slim fit. 16 1/2 - 35. keep in mind, aside from MTM, nothing is going to fit you perfectly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads