1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, May 1, 2007.

1. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Go made to measure or bespoke.

Cheap answer: ModernTailor.com
    Mid-range answer: Local MTM (made to measure), CEGO if you're in NYC
    High-range answer: Charvet, Lanvin (do they still do bespoke shirts?)
    Beyond high-range answer: Kabbaz

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  2. Diversification

Diversification Well-Known Member

The back is plain. No pleats or darts. Sorry it took me so long to post this info.

1 person likes this.
  3. jamesny

jamesny Senior member

The shoulders and torso seem too loose.

4. collegeguy88

collegeguy88 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'm going to try ModernTailor first.

5. jiralnom

jiralnom New Member

haven't dug through but i'm looking for my perfect dress shirt with the following specifications:

-spread collar
    -tailored, slim fit (Brooks Brothers extra slim fit is perfect for me)
    -lack of chest pocket
    -side pleats or no pleats (no back center pleat)

i've looked into Charles Tyrwhitt's White Twill Non Iron Tailored Fit Dress Shirt, and found this shirt:

http://www.ctshirts.com/White-twill...=usgob||RG009WHT|||||||||||||#product_no_anch

Which is great except for the fact that it's a twill weave. I get hot easily and will be wearing this in the summer with a suit, so I'm not sure if twill weave will cause me to sweat like a pig.

Any recommendations??

6. Diversification

Diversification Well-Known Member

Although I've never used Modern Tailor or any of the other such options myself, I have read a bit about them. It's my understanding that if you send in a shirt that works perfectly on you they will just recreate that shirt's measurements with the material you select. From there I imagine you can add or subtract features like the ones your mentioned.

7. Tailor Dan

Tailor Dan Senior member

Looks a great shirt. Twill won't determine if it's thick. It may be a twill but reasonable in thickness. Best to check it on in store if possible. Would not recommend trying a shirt maker like the ones suggested recently unless referred by a friend or poster you trust. Trying them on the say of someone who has never tested them is not a good idea. http://gentlemansgent.blogspot.com/

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  8. aglass

aglass Well-Known Member

I was curious if anyone else here has to go an extra sleeve length up for BB ESF. I'm a 40" chest, 16" neck and 34" waist but I find that the 16x34 ESF's armholes are too high and it pulls the sleeves up my wrist and consequently wear a 35. Do any of you have this problem with BB or any other brands?

9. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

I have actually found inconsistency across BB ESF sleeve lengths. I normally wear a 35, but then I tried on an ESF in store that was a 34 and it was a very good fit. Then I ordered a number online in 34, and they ended up being too short. Probably should've returned them, but ended up wearing them out before really trying them on. So I think it could be a quality control thing. Although you're right, the arm holes are rather high, so could be an issue of your chest being a bit larger than the typical wearer of ESF.

10. conceited

conceited Member

I'm very lucky to have come across this thread, as I'm a big fan of slim fit clothing. So thanks to imageWIS for making the thread.

Just recently I ordered a slim t-shirt from Doublju via Amazon (XL [US Large]), and it fits very well (well, how I'd like it to); I actually have broad shoulders, so it's a tad tight, but I like it like that.

I have similar measurements to yours (40' chest, 30' waist). Gucci does appear to have a nice "v" shape to it, but I looked it up...

http://www.gucci.com/us/category/m/men_s_ready_to_wear#t_shirts___polos

and I'm not paying $230+ for one t-shirt. Hell, anything over 40 bucks for a t-shirt is pushing it, as far as I'm concerned.

I'll be browsing through here though for cheaper places. Thanks again for the thread.

11. 2eho

2eho Member

12. Midnight

Midnight Well-Known Member

13. Little Bird

Little Bird New Member

Newbie here. What would you recommend for an athletic fit polo shirt as follows. I need to have some embroidered with company logo. I'm tired of XL or XXL shirts that were designed for people with 46" waists.

- cotton, blend, etc. I'll be outside a lot so a wicking poly isn't bad but I don't like itchy poly.
    - 2 or 3 buttons
    - I'm a 46XL jacket and 36W. Sleeves should be fairly long, just above elbow. Prefer unbanded as I find banded sleeves to feel a bit constricting.

Thanks.

14. Fueled By Fire

Fueled By Fire New Member

I've tried a number of brands recommended here, but no luck. I'm 6'3 and 200 lbs and wear a 17' neck but only a 43' chest. I have a couple of Boss black labled dress shirts that fit very well, but want to try something different. Does anyone have any recommendations on a brand I can buy OTR? Or am I out of luck?

15. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Have you tried having a tailor trim the sides?

16. Midnight

Midnight Well-Known Member

For a 17 inch neck the narrowest shirts around the chest I know of are Thomas Pink. Both their Classic Fit and Slim Fit shirts are 45 inches. That's probably a little wider than you would like, but may be worth a try.

17. toade

toade Senior member

I like Boss Black label (slim) as well and have found Nordstrom Trim Fit to fit me well. A tiny bit larger than Boss Black, but not by too much, and much cheaper than Boss.

18. ustudent

ustudent Well-Known Member

Got the Brooks non-iron extra slim-fit just the other day, and I have to say, although it fits me better than all my other shirts, it's still a bit poofy (just a tiny bit). I'm just starting to build up my wardrobe so don't want to settle for that slight poofiness, what other brands can I try? What's slimmer OTR? Or is MTM the only other alternative?

19. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

Get the shirt taken in. Any half decent tailor can do it.

20. ustudent

ustudent Well-Known Member

Wondering if there are any other comparable brands that may be slimmer. If there are, I could just buy those instead of wasting money on alterations.

Also, the shirts a non-iron. guy at bb said alterations would mean it'll no longer be non-iron. true?

Thanks!