• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JCHolmes

Reaction score
It takes a good 2 weeks to break them in. A better boot in my opinion is the Wolverine Addison 1000 Mile Boot. Easy break in.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JCHolmes
It takes a good 2 weeks to break them in. A better boot in my opinion is the Wolverine Addison 1000 Mile Boot. Easy break in.

Personally, I think the 2 boots serve different purposes. I use the LL Bean boot for every possible work activity from the occasional boiler room visits to the garden to going out to bars. It's versatile enough for me. I wouldn't even think about putting the Addison through all that ****, it's just way to pretty.

If you're talking purely wearing the boots for vanity purposes, yeah i suppose the addison is "better" in term of looks and leather quality.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't see them being tucked but i think you can pull it off if you have skinny legs. I'm thinking someone who wears a waist 28-30 could pull it off. I can't see any boot that comes equipped with speed hooks being worn tucked and looking good, but i could be proven wrong.

JackTheRipper

Reaction score
Yea I understand what you mean. I've been wanting a pair of Katahdins but recently wanted to buy a pair of tuckable boots.

Seel1138

Reaction score
I never understood the tucking obsession, but there is a photo on page 2 of this thread that shows them tucked.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
I got them before last winter and only got them into moderate use. I went with a size 11, which is typical for me with regards to dress shoes.
boot.jpg

rossi

Reaction score
How is the ruggedness of this compared to Blundstone or Timberland? (the only others I have experience with)

When my first pair of Timberlands were worn out I got Blundstone and until present those have been almost perfect: hard-wearing, supple, waterproof, tuck-able, easy to remove. Downside is that they're not pretty in any way and the sole is not replaceable. I use those for travel, hiking, rainy days, dirty work. Unfortunately on a hike not long ago I've had to go in them for several rainy days where they were soaked through, and now have dried very stiff and is starting to crack (don't know what I could have done to have prevented this).

I came here because of having read many times how good the katahdin is,
I am a bit torn between buying katahdin or new blundstones (I especially like the more elegant 62 & 63 models, with a more natural toeline, but with much less profile in the sole).

Is the goodyear-welting functionally as good as the injected rubber soles?

B_RAD

Reaction score
Some people say these fit TTS some say size down .5. How do they fit compared to red wing boots sizing. I wear a 9 in mostly everything and I wear 8.5D in Red Wings. Should I go half down like red wings or TTS?

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went with the same rw size. The rw's actually fit a bit looser.

rossi

Reaction score
Let me rephrase: are these workboots any good for hiking, and are they water resistant or waterproof?

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rossi
Let me rephrase: are these workboots any good for hiking, and are they water resistant or waterproof?

A few facts:

-These are leather workboots.
-Leather is not waterproof but can be made water resistant if treated with Sno-seal, mink oil, etc.

-These have flat soles.
-Most hikers want a lug sole for traction.

-These are nice looking boots.
-Blundstones are fugly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads