• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

pdsf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
It looks cheap because it is cheap because Kenneth Cole is ****.

I really wish this thread didn't only have two modes, trashy ****** noob bags and $1000 boring jet/rach bags.

While I disagree that Rach's bags are boring (never seen Jet's), your observation likely points to the overall market landscape - there are lots of crappy bags + lovely bags that most of us can't afford. Reasonably priced bags that are well designed and made are not that easy to find, IMHO. If anyone wants to go into business with me to change that, let me know
smile.gif

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MS007
The leather looks cheap, but this could be the photo. Have never handled kenneth cole bags myself. Good deal, besides that.

I had this kenneth cole bag, I sold it on eBay for $25. It's a piece of crap.

Matte Male

Reaction score
There was a post on a style blog a couple of months ago about a company making leather messenger bags out of NYC and they did it completely carbon free, the guys just had a portable crate that all of their tools and materials were in and they worked in donated space using only daylight.

I can't remember the brand or blog it was one, anyone have any idea?

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matte Male
There was a post on a style blog a couple of months ago about a company making leather messenger bags out of NYC and they did it completely carbon free, the guys just had a portable crate that all of their tools and materials were in and they worked in donated space using only daylight. I can't remember the brand or blog it was one, anyone have any idea?
Wow this is terribly hipster

Matte Male

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
Wow this is terribly hipster
True, and I don't plan on buying one as IIRC they were somewhere between 300-400, I just wanted to show someone else. They were quite nice though and I would consider it if I had the money to spend on one.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdsf
Reasonably priced bags that are well designed and made are not that easy to find, IMHO. If anyone wants to go into business with me to change that, let me know
smile.gif

This is one area (as with many!) where the Japanese have us beat. They have lots of excellent bags at all price points. There are also lots of smaller artisinal leather makers that do really nice stuff for quite reasonable pricing, minimal or no branding, and excellent service. For $150-200, which in the USA basically will get you either something used or a new piece of crap, you can get quite a few decent options in Japan. For $300-400, you can get an incredibly well made bag that will last forever. Every summer when I continue to be amazed at the selection of brands, styles, and quality at various pricepoints.

I have no idea why we in the States have been so slow to realize that men will use a bag for more than a briefcase, and even then want something a little more interesting than what your Insurance Salesman would carry to your door.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
This is one area (as with many!) where the Japanese have us beat. They have lots of excellent bags at all price points. There are also lots of smaller artisinal leather makers that do really nice stuff for quite reasonable pricing, minimal or no branding, and excellent service. For $150-200, which in the USA basically will get you either something used or a new piece of crap, you can get quite a few decent options in Japan.

You mentioned Lin-ku before, which other brands?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
You mentioned Lin-ku before, which other brands?

Some of the names are really awful (after all, they are designed for the Japanese domestic market), but the bags are nice:

Porter (usual suspect!)

Bravura Del T
Somme
Baggy Port (awful name! But really quite interesting bags)
Sazaby
Aniary
Lagasha
Stefano Mano
Fujitaka
Isetan Men`s
LED Bites
Master Piece
Indeed

If you want to do a search for them, I would advise typing `Bag` in Japanese followed by the brand name. Otherwise, for example, `indeed` will give you a million sites. bag is バッグ if you want to cut/paste for ease.

Murdoc

Reaction score
I'm not sure what a rucksack is(old time backpack? Did Daniel Plainview have something similar?) but I like the design, the white one is pretty nice, but agree about the dirtiness.

I might be tempted for the black or brown.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads