• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
JL Powell are the ones who disappointed a bunch of guys with visions of discounted Edward Greens.
Their website doesn't reflect their actual inventory. I think people had the best luck phoning in orders rather than trying to order online.

Sad, but true. Excited to see the jodphurs in my size only to find that they were o/s.

sm31

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
... I think people had the best luck phoning in orders rather than trying to order online.
"Best luck" in what sense: not ordering what they don't have?

I ordered the suede chukkas yesterday, so guess at this point I'll just cross my fingers.

jsg28

Reaction score
I'm looking at some color #8 boots on the modified last and have seen a lot of dislike on these boards for this shape. What's the deal? To me (granted I haven't tried them on yet) they look great.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jsg28
I'm looking at some color #8 boots on the modified last and have seen a lot of dislike on these boards for this shape. What's the deal? To me (granted I haven't tried them on yet) they look great.
I've had the chance to try on a few pairs of shoes and boots on the Modified. If you're in NYC you can try or buy them at Moulded Shoe. The guys there are very knowledgeable and helpful. If I'm not mistaken, this is the only place in the USA where you can find the Modified last. The store is worth a visit for any Alden fan... It's like walking into a store out of the past. There are hundreds of crazy pairs of shoes lining the walls and a lot of them look like they've been there for decades. I found the Modified to be very comfortable and fit the shape of my foot quite well. I have a high instep and high arch and the Modified accommodated me perfectly. I take a 9E in the Barrie and Trubalance, and I fit a 9.5D Modified. That said, I thought the shoes looked a little weird and couldn't see myself really wearing them despite the comfort. When looking down at them, they give the illusion of being sort of awkwardly bent... especially in some of the cap-toed ones that I had my eye on. I do think that Moulded Shoe does come up with some handsome make-ups that would be great additions to a collection... They just weren't for me. I'd just make sure they fit you well and if the look doesn't bother you, go for it! They are Aldens after all.

darnold

Reaction score
Hey guys, I could use some helpful pointing. I'm just starting to build a reasonable shoe wardrobe and I'm looking at a few Aldens for a casual work shoe. I work in a "jeans acceptable" consulting environment and have been unhappy with my poor construction Ecco's... so I'm looking for versatile, well constructed shoes that will last. I've been eying: Tom's Hawaiian stomper or BB's ranger shoe, but I've got a Kudu Ultimate Indy on preorder and worry that the stompers would turn out to be redundant. Wishing a double leather soled chromexcel shoe was available somewhere. Ideas/suggestions?

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
umm.. how about Leather Soul's ranger shoe in #8 cordovan? They will turn slightly brownish over time and are quite unique. I like the blackbird shoes but hate their mark up on the price. I mean most Alden dealers here have special make ups but the prices are the same as the standard models in the same materials.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I got it to work for me. Ordered a pair of the jcrew Indy boots but ended up returning them due to a flaw inside the boot. Worked out well in the end as today I stopped into Context and what do I find....a pair of Roy boots in my size just sitting on the shelf. Had to get them and love the crepe sole.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
A question for those who have an Indy with a commando sole....

Do you wear your's in snow and if so how does it hold up?

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No Indy with commando but I have Tankers with that sole and it does fine in the winter.

obiter dictum

Reaction score
The Indy speedhooks really shred laces in no time. I read about it in this thread before buying, but I didn't realize it would be this bad.

Does anyone have a source for replacement laces? I'm having a hard time finding the right length/width waxed laces some of the specialty models use.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
We opened on 7/1. 9513 S. Santa Monica Blvd...corner of Rodeo and S. Santa Monica, right across Missoni.

oh **** i need to stop in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads