• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions.

princemaki

Reaction score
im new to apc and i have a question? Normally i get a pair of jeans 30x30. Planning to get 28 of nc but are 34 the only inseams availble or do i have to hem them to get it to 30

Krp480

Reaction score
Originally Posted by princemaki
im new to apc and i have a question? Normally i get a pair of jeans 30x30. Planning to get 28 of nc but are 34 the only inseams availble or do i have to hem them to get it to 30

Get the 34" inseam (I believe only one they have(?)) and just cuff it. Or let it stack, I wouldn't recommend getting it hemmed unless you must do it, or you are REALLY short.

princemaki

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Krp480
Get the 34" inseam (I believe only one they have(?)) and just cuff it. Or let it stack, I wouldn't recommend getting it hemmed unless you must do it, or you are REALLY short.

im about 5'6 would that be okay

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I got mine hemmed--cuffing/stacking breaks up your silouhette and makes you look shorter.

If i'm a 27 in NS's, but have fairly large thighs, should I grab a 28 in PS's?

Chie

Reaction score
I'm thinking about ordering a pair of APC NS, is its cut equivalent with Nudie SJ? Because I like the fitting look of Nudie SJ on their site.

Also, there's some other things I want to ask, first of, I read around and people say dry denim shrink a lot, but people usually buy 2 or 3 size down because they will stretch, what's going on here?

I don't want to turn up the hem and I don't want to stack whole bunch of denim about the shoes like a lot of people, so the best way is getting them hemmed, how much should I have them hemmed to? Most of my jeans are 28x30 and 30 inseam is just about right for me, I'm skinny, 5'7 and 110lbs.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chie
Also, there's some other things I want to ask, first of, I read around and people say dry denim shrink a lot, but people usually buy 2 or 3 size down because they will stretch, what's going on here?
a bit of shrink is inevitable, but you only really have to worry about it in unsanforized denim (or, shrink-to-fit denim, which can shrink a size or more), but APC denim is sanforized, so the shrinkage will be minimal. also, denim is a stretchy fabric (especially APC denim which is very stretchy) so any shrinkage you get in the waist and legs after washing will stretch back out again pretty quick.
I don't want to turn up the hem and I don't want to stack whole bunch of denim about the shoes like a lot of people, so the best way is getting them hemmed, how much should I have them hemmed to? Most of my jeans are 28x30 and 30 inseam is just about right for me, I'm skinny, 5'7 and 110lbs.
I've heard of peoples APC denim inseam shrinking anywhere from .5" to 2" in the wash, i'm pretty sure APC says it only shrinks .5" though. all depends on how you wash though. for instance, cold wash + hang dry is going to shrink less than hot wash + tumble dry. i dont have any personal experience here yet because I haven't washed my APC's yet. i'd also recommend cuffing them to the length you want, adding .5" to 1" and then probably hemming to that if you're going to hem them, rather than just taking them to a tailor and telling them to hem to a 30" inseam. just because your jeans are tagged 30 inseam doesn't really mean they're 30 inseam. for instance, all levis jeans i've ever owned have always ran an inch or more longer than the tagged inseam says, and i've also had jeans that said they were a 30 inseam and were more like 29.

Chie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by max_r
a bit of shrink is inevitable, but you only really have to worry about it in unsanforized denim (or, shrink-to-fit denim, which can shrink a size or more), but APC denim is sanforized, so the shrinkage will be minimal.

also, denim is a stretchy fabric (especially APC denim which is very stretchy) so any shrinkage you get in the waist and legs after washing will stretch back out again pretty quick.

I've heard of peoples APC denim inseam shrinking anywhere from .5" to 2" in the wash, i'm pretty sure APC says it only shrinks .5" though. all depends on how you wash though. for instance, cold wash + hang dry is going to shrink less than hot wash + tumble dry. i dont have any personal experience here yet because I haven't washed my APC's yet.

i'd also recommend cuffing them to the length you want, adding .5" to 1" and then probably hemming to that if you're going to hem them, rather than just taking them to a tailor and telling them to hem to a 30" inseam. just because your jeans are tagged 30 inseam doesn't really mean they're 30 inseam. for instance, all levis jeans i've ever owned have always ran an inch or more longer than the tagged inseam says, and i've also had jeans that said they were a 30 inseam and were more like 29.

Oh, I don't know that APCs are sanforized, my bad... I know it's off topic here but are Nudies sanforized, too?

I always cold wash and hang dry my clothes, so shrinkage maybe not a problem for me.

And great advice about hemming, I'll make sure to have mine hemmed that way, one extra inch will not be problem for me but four is.

Also, how much do you size down your APCs? I'm getting a pair of 26 (sizing down 2) is it ok?

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, I don't know that APCs are sanforized, my bad... I know it's off topic here but are Nudies sanforized, too? I always cold wash and hang dry my clothes, so shrinkage maybe not a problem for me. And great advice about hemming, I'll make sure to have mine hemmed that way, one extra inch will not be problem for me but four is. Also, how much do you size down your APCs? I'm getting a pair of 26 (sizing down 2) is it ok?
the quickest easiest way to size APC's (new standards to be specific as thats what I have) is to do this: measure around your body where you wear your jeans (usually this is on your hips or below). next, decide how you want them to fit. assuming you dont have super skinny or really big legs, size down 2" for a regular slim fit, 3" or 4" for a slimmer tighter fit. so, for example (this is what I did), if you measured 33 around where you wear your jeans, subtract 3" (or whatever) for a slim fit, so now you have 30", this is what you want your jeans to measure. since APC's are vanity sized (tagged size = 2 smaller than measured size) subtract two more from the 30", and you get 28. so you'd get a tagged size 28 if you measure 33" around where you wear your jeans. even if you dont size down they will stretch like two inches in the waist and be baggy. my 28's stretched 4" and now measure 34 in the waist, so they're pretty roomy. i dont need to wear a belt but if they get any bigger, or if i loose weight, i'll need a belt. stretching in the legs is less severe though, i've read they only stretch like an inch in the legs. mine stretched out to feel comfortable and roomy in the legs (took like a month until I could bend down comfortably), but i'm not sure how much they stretched, as i didn't measure them beforehand. for reference, this is how mine fit right now at around 3 months, maybe a bit more http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/9461/img1014u.jpg

Krp480

Reaction score
the quickest easiest way to size APC's (new standards to be specific as thats what I have) is to do this:

measure around your body where you wear your jeans (usually this is on your hips or below). next, decide how you want them to fit. assuming you dont have super skinny or really big legs, size down 2" for a regular slim fit, 3" or 4" for a slimmer tighter fit.

so, for example (this is what I did), if you measured 33 around where you wear your jeans, subtract 3" (or whatever) for a slim fit, so now you have 30", this is what you want your jeans to measure. since APC's are vanity sized (tagged size = 2 smaller than measured size) subtract two more from the 30", and you get 28. so you'd get a tagged size 28 if you measure 33" around where you wear your jeans.

even if you dont size down they will stretch like two inches in the waist and be baggy. my 28's stretched 4" and now measure 34 in the waist, so they're pretty roomy. i dont need to wear a belt but if they get any bigger, or if i loose weight, i'll need a belt. stretching in the legs is less severe though, i've read they only stretch like an inch in the legs. mine stretched out to feel comfortable and roomy in the legs (took like a month until I could bend down comfortably), but i'm not sure how much they stretched, as i didn't measure them beforehand.

for reference, this is how mine fit right now at around 3 months, maybe a bit more http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/9461/img1014u.jpg

How come my APC's (standards not new standards) they are a 25'' waist. I usually go for a 28"/29" waist depending on the jeans. How long will it take to stretch them? I barely get the 2nd to last top button buttoned, and then I have to use all my strength to get the top one buttoned... I am really skinny, but with them on I look fat. Anyways, my question is what is THE best way to stretch the waist? I have tried dampening them, doing squats, etc.. But am I going to just have to stick it out and just suck it up until they stretch a lot?

And did your stretch a lot in the first day? Or how long did it take?

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just wore mine and they stretched, stretched almost an inch in the first day, and by the end of the week (of daily wear all day long) they had stretched from 30" to like 32" or so, and then by the end of the month they had stretched to about 34" and were a bit loose in the waist.

if they wont stretch fast enough for you, you can try stretching them by other means. I had a pair of levis that woudn't stretch out any bigger and were still tight after like 3 months of wearing them, so i soaked the waistband, and jammed like 4 reams of paper in the waist, left it over night and got almost an inch out of it.

Krp480

Reaction score
i just wore mine and they stretched, stretched almost an inch in the first day, and by the end of the week (of daily wear all day long) they had stretched from 30" to like 32" or so, and then by the end of the month they had stretched to about 34" and were a bit loose in the waist.

if they wont stretch fast enough for you, you can try stretching them by other means. I had a pair of levis that woudn't stretch out any bigger and were still tight after like 3 months of wearing them, so i soaked the waistband, and jammed like 4 reams of paper in the waist, left it over night and got almost an inch out of it.

Alright, what is reams? I will try it though, do you mean like balls of paper? I hope it works though.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Krp480
Alright, what is reams? I will try it though, do you mean like balls of paper? I hope it works though.
paperreams.gif
I did it in university, i ran out of paper one semester so i stocked up when they were on sale at staples, which is why i had like 4 reams.
Originally Posted by shadrach
http://cgi.ebay.com/APC-jeans-new-st...#ht_500wt_1154 why?
wishful thinking. fades arent even that good, i've seen way more awesome looking worn out pairs sell on b&s for $50 or so

Krp480

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shadrach
but the thing is there are already 5 bids on that pair.

4(?) of which are the same exact bidder.

paperreams.gif

I did it in university, i ran out of paper one semester so i stocked up when they were on sale at staples, which is why i had like 4 reams.

Ohh. How did they fit you before? Could you even button them up? Cause I can button mine up but I am starting to get bruised
facepalm.gif
... It is that tight. I mean it is roughly at a 26" waist now if not 27".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads