• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brand new, unworn Borrelli suede longwings for $80 with 20% off coupon. Filene's in N. Miami. They were hidden on a shelf and marked a size 6. My dad found them, they are a 9.

Mike

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was running late to work, so made the most of it and stopped by a store on my way in. Two T&A ties, and an Anderson & Sheppard tie (not sure who makes these for them?). They had half a dozen Hermes from the same donor, but at $50 each.

Waiting to meet someone in the evening I popped into another store just before closing - historically with a good hit ratio. I walked out with one green cord jacket by Benson, Perry & Whitley (Ian Fleming's tailor), perfect around the shoulders but a little too large around the bottom of the coat, and a green and cream cashmere houndstooth jacket from the same donor with no makers label in. Usual row quality. This fits better through the body but a little large through the upper chest. I'll probably leave it as it is and wear it with a sweater underneath.

All in all a good day.

Temujin

Reaction score
Saw a bunch of Mario Dessuti suits today, made in France. Unfortunately they were DB, which I don't care for, also a little small for me sz 40 I think. One was that "birds eye" (?) pattern, which I would really like to find in my size.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
How do you know who the donor was?

Because the cashier commented that he'd brought them all in at the weekend.

BBC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by floors to go
When finding unknown brands is it safe to assume higher end if they are fully canvased?

Depends on what you mean by "higher end", but generally speaking canvas does not suggest "higher end" by itself. For example, much of the Jos A Bank stuff up to around the early 1990s was fully canvassed, but I don't think you'd find many who would ever call JAB "high end" Fully canvas, like any single detail, is simply one part of the overall determination about the quality of a sport coat/suit jacket.

najpie

Reaction score
Do you guys buy anything that is a high-end label and is in decent condition? I mean I've seen some stuff on this thread I wouldn't let my dog wear. Do people on eBay buy it just because it's high-end, regardless of it's ugliness? Or do you people actually wear some of this stuff?

(I know there are some real gems on this thread, don't get me wrong... but I've seen some hideous ties and polos)

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by najpie
Do you guys buy anything that is a high-end label and is in decent condition? I mean I've seen some stuff on this thread I wouldn't let my dog wear. Do people on eBay buy it just because it's high-end, regardless of it's ugliness? Or do you people actually wear some of this stuff?

(I know there are some real gems on this thread, don't get me wrong... but I've seen some hideous ties and polos)

Fun Fact: Aesthetics are subjective!

Trotsky1940

Reaction score
-Pair of Church's made brown brogues for an old high shoe store in Seattle. I'd say 40s or 50s.

-BB Shirt, off white, brand new.

-Banana Republic striped shirt in my size

-Cowboy short sleeve shirt for streetwear. Pan Handle Slim is the brand.

Temujin

Reaction score
Anyone else notice how badly BB shirts wear on the sleeve cuff? The ones I see are in great condition other than that, which makes them so very leavable.
Originally Posted by Trotsky1940
-Pair of Church's made brown brogues for an old high shoe store in Seattle. I'd say 40s or 50s.

-BB Shirt, off white, brand new.

-Banana Republic striped shirt in my size

-Cowboy short sleeve shirt for streetwear. Pan Handle Slim is the brand.

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I found a really nice purple velvet Club Monaco blazer for $8, as well as a brand new H&M red gingham check blazer for $7. The H&M blazer still had the $129 price tag as well as the pockets and vent are still sewn shut.

Temujin

Reaction score
Today was a day of firsts for me: My first Hickey Freeman in my size, my first Armani in my size, my first of the mythical RLPL (my size LG, but not my style so it'll be up for trade), also a Canali suit in 40R, black windowpane, a pair of Zegna black pants, and finally some pocket squares for me. Almost forgot to mention a grey w/ print BB Makers tie, printed in England, looks older. The link to the photos is below. http://img8.imageshack.us/g/shoes779.jpg/

Trotsky1940

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Temujin
Anyone else notice how badly BB shirts wear on the sleeve cuff? The ones I see are in great condition other than that, which makes them so very leavable.

I haven't had any bad experience with this yet, however even if I did, I'd still buy them: I am literally 4 hours from anywhere and finding BB anything out here makes me jump for joy. I rarely find anything else anywhere near high end.

mat135ta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Temujin
Today was a day of firsts for me: My first Hickey Freeman in my size, my first Armani in my size, my first of the mythical RLPL (my size LG, but not my style so it'll be up for trade), also a Canali suit in 40R, black windowpane, a pair of Zegna black pants, and finally some pocket squares for me. Almost forgot to mention a grey w/ print BB Makers tie, printed in England, looks older. The link to the photos is below. http://img8.imageshack.us/g/shoes779.jpg/
Watch out for the Giorgio Armani Collezioni stuff. They are just everywhere and often overpriced by the staff who heard of Armani before. The quality is not very amazing. I don't recall I ever bought anything from the Collezioni line. The Black Label stuff, though, is really nice. But they are extremely rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads