• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
You might want to try some of the Italian brands. They are sized off your hip area and not the waist. Find a size that fits you well in the hips and have the waist taken in.

Thanks.

What brands might work for me? I'm just starting to build my wardrobe, so a mid range price point is where I want to be.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BeaconHillBoston
Thanks.

What brands might work for me? I'm just starting to build my wardrobe, so a mid range price point is where I want to be.

I really don't know what US prices are these days. Plus you really should try on different brands to see what works for you.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Help! I'm trying to track down a pair of Prada slip on shoes with a rubber sole but I can't find them anywhere. They're similar to this but the top of the shoe has no details at all and a more rounded toe - but the same sole. Is there anywhere online that gives a laundry list of all Prada shoes???
shm_pra_101.jpg

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am still looking for a gray trench coat w/a belt that ends mid thigh

I know there are vintage Burberry coats like this but they don't pop up often on Ebay. Any new + reasonably priced (<$400) options out there that I can walk into a store in NYC and buy?

jk42

Reaction score
I'm moving from California to the East Coast to attend law school. I just realized that my "winter wardrobe" of a half-dozen sweaters, a pair of wool socks, a lightweight flannel suit, and a lightweight rain coat probably won't do. Am I missing anything indispensable on this list?

1. Overcoat or Pea coat
2. Scarves
3. Cold weather hat
4. Gloves
5. Heavy flannel/tweed suit(s)

Also, will my nice shoes (shell, calf) get screwed-up from salted roads, slush, and all the other crap that they put on the ground during winter? If so, how do I avoid this?

Finally, do you use an umbrella in the winter, or just kind of trudge through the snow?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by click here
C&J Cardiff - yay or nay?
In general, that is a decently-made shoe in a traditional design. It's not suitable for dinner jackets or i-banking interviews, but it is suitable for plenty of other occasions.

whiskeybeard

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need to find something to wear for a summer/daytime/outdoor wedding. I'm hoping to get something that is both suitable for the occasion and, ideally, versatile enough to wear for other types of occasion, since as a cash-strapped grad student I don't have many dress clothes. (I do own one suit which I bought for interviews after college -- navy pinstripe -- but it clearly wouldn't work.)

So, for example, I'd prefer a lighter gray to something idiosyncratic like tan or cream. I wonder if people think this (in gray), or something like it, would be suitable. The color and cut look alright to me, but I wonder whether as wool it would be too warm for August outdoors. I also haven't heard much about the quality of Thierry Mugler suits, so any comments on that point would be welcome.

Thank you!

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiskeybeard
Hi guys,

I need to find something to wear for a summer/daytime/outdoor wedding. I'm hoping to get something that is both suitable for the occasion and, ideally, versatile enough to wear for other types of occasion, since as a cash-strapped grad student I don't have many dress clothes. (I do own one suit which I bought for interviews after college -- navy pinstripe -- but it clearly wouldn't work.)

So, for example, I'd prefer a lighter gray to something idiosyncratic like tan or cream. I wonder if people think this (in gray), or something like it, would be suitable. The color and cut look alright to me, but I wonder whether as wool it would be too warm for August outdoors. I also haven't heard much about the quality of Thierry Mugler suits, so any comments on that point would be welcome.

Thank you!

A suit in that shade of gray would be a nice choice for the wedding, and very versatile for life afterwards.

As for the wool, there are lighter and heavier weight wools. I would stick with a 3 season weight unless you're in a very hot part of the country if you want this to be usable at times other then summer.

hobscrk777

Reaction score
What are the sleeve lengths on Ralph Lauren custom fit dress shirts You can only choose the collar size online. Is there anyone or any place online that can provide more detailed measurements. I suppose I could email RL customer support, but I thought this might be faster.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkecherSale
Getting a great deal on Skechers shoes and apparel has never been easier... See how we offer major discounts on the HOTTEST Skecher apparrel of the new ...

Seriously? Even the bots advertising nike sneakers are better attempts then that. You're trying to sell knockoff sketchers?

Tipres

Reaction score
Two questions, really.

1. Does thread count affect breathability?
2. Is there a difference between terylene and regular polyester?

I'm currently a bit indecisive about which fabric to use for my MTM suit, although i've narrowed it down to two options, both marked as Spring/Autumn wear:
The first being a dark gray with narrow pinstripes that appear to be very light brown, almost white. It's 100% wool, Super 130.
The second consists of slim herringbone stripes, alternately in medium and dark gray and a very smooth feel. It's 80% wool and 20% terylene, but Super 180.

Now, I gather that poly blends tend to make you feel hotter, but are more wrinkle resistant. This is where I'd like to know if the higher thread count helps in any way. I actually prefer the second fabric, but is the polyester a deal breaker?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tipres
Two questions, really. 1. Does thread count affect breathability? 2. Is there a difference between terylene and regular polyester? I'm currently a bit indecisive about which fabric to use for my MTM suit, although i've narrowed it down to two options, both marked as Spring/Autumn wear: The first being a dark gray with narrow pinstripes that appear to be very light brown, almost white. It's 100% wool, Super 130. The second consists of slim herringbone stripes, alternately in medium and dark gray and a very smooth feel. It's 80% wool and 20% terylene, but Super 180. Now, I gather that poly blends tend to make you feel hotter, but are more wrinkle resistant. This is where I'd like to know if the higher thread count helps in any way. I actually prefer the second fabric, but is the polyester a deal breaker?
1) No. If you're talking about wool, it's the weave and the weight that matter and you should probably read the FAQ on super numbers. 2) Polyester is a class of polymers. Terylene is a trade name for a particular synthetic polyester. Why are you considering a poly-blend fabric for an MTM suit? Because it's cheaper? It's silly to go to the expense of MTM and then cheap out on the fabric.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads