• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UltraMagnetical
Question regarding RL Purple Label suits? I thought they were made in Italy by Caruso....However I recently came across a few that say they were made in England? does anyone here know by whom and how long ago this wasy? Hows the quality and fit compared to the newer Caruso ones? Thanks

Im no RL expert, but I believe thats made by Chester Barrie.

justpflo

Reaction score
Noob question

But, what season is appropriate to wear Clarks original desert boots?
& how do you guys normally wear them? in the fall /spring.
for some reason I'm not a fan of wearing them out in warmer weather.

Beeswax Leather or Brown Suede?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peak and Pine
Tho not wildly popular any more ('cept with me maybe), consider wearing rubbers. They make them now in extremely thin rubber that can crunch up and fit easily into one o'coat pocket.
Safe sex is always advised - don't scrunch 'em up tho

BackgroundCheck

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm having my birthday party tomorrow at a laid back bistro. I'm turning 19 and I have no idea what to wear. Oh, and I'm a guy and I'm not super skinny, 5'9 and carrying a little baggage.

I'm thinking of wearing these jeans;
item_2_fcuk_denim_jea ns_60.jpg

and these shoes in red, not black;
puma-match-neon-ice-2.jpg

but I have no idea what to wear for the top. Especially when I'm hosting a birthday. I'm going shopping in a few hours and I'm hoping all of you could help out. :)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you must wear jeans dont wear bootcuts. It is your 19th birthday not your 14th birthday. Have them be dark indigo with no pre fading, or whiskering. You should try to get some flat from trousers, or dress pants. Wear a solid button down shirt, with or without button down collar, and get some leather soled shoes, like a pair of derbies, or maybe loafers, nothing with a square toe. Sneakers are never a good choice, unless you're playing tennis.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking to get a new pair of Allen Edmonds and I had my eye on a plain toe oxford called Sutter ($285) . I just realilzed that the sole of the shoe is rubber. Should I instead "upgrade" to the Leeds ($325) which has a leather sole?

I have a pair of TBNY Dominic with leather soles and I love them.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
I was looking to get a new pair of Allen Edmonds and I had my eye on a plain toe oxford called Sutter ($285) . I just realilzed that the sole of the shoe is rubber. Should I instead "upgrade" to the Leeds ($325) which has a leather sole?

I have a pair of TBNY Dominic with leather soles and I love them.

Get the leather sole ones unless you need some serious traction or comforts. However, AE should not be bought at full retail. $150-$200 new is relatively easy to find. Quick glance on ebay shows $225 if you're size 9D or 9.5C. 4 months ago there was a craze of $110 AE (new, though mostly seconds). That puts the price in perspective for you.

daruma

Reaction score
anyone have a picture of a good suit on someone who has very sloped shoulders?

bpm2000

Reaction score
hey all quick Q I just got a 36R jacket (jcrew ludlow) - looks good with out the button. Sleeve length, jacket length, etc all seem/feel good. However I think the shoulders are a tad tight - the lapel pops out off my chest when buttoned. Is it better to go a size up (and... alter the waist down) or try to get this jacket's shoulders let out a little (if there is even room to)? If I go up, should I go 38R or 38S? Size here: http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...1&d=1275341858 thx

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bpm2000
hey all quick Q

I just got a 36R jacket (jcrew ludlow) - looks good with out the button. Sleeve length, jacket length, etc all seem/feel good. However I think the shoulders are a tad tight - the lapel pops out off my chest when buttoned. Is it better to go a size up (and... alter the waist down) or try to get this jacket's shoulders let out a little (if there is even room to)?

If I go up, should I go 38R or 38S?
Size here: http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...1&d=1275341858

thx

Definitely go a size up and alter the waist. That's the only way.

KeatonCollar

Reaction score
If you know if you have hard water supplied to you house and you steam your clothes, do you still use the tap water or use exclusively filtered?

I got tired of buying filtered water at the store so I started using the tap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads