• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackTheRipper

Reaction score
I tried searching, but I didn't get any good results.

If some of you NYCers don't mind revealing your secrets, where are some good places to thrift in NYC?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One good thing lately.

A pair of brown herringbone tweed trousers, bespoke. Fishtail back. Fully lined.

No label but flat front and tapered leg suggest a 60s make.

Everything is very nicely done. The heel guard is leather.

They fit well and seem to be the proper length.

I'll try them out when the weather gets colder.

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
Went to one of my local thrifts today and they have so much inventory right now that they held a "$10 Bag Sale" - you got a trash bag, paid $10 and filled it up with ANY clothing. I pretty much ransacked anything with a name brand from suits, shirts, sport coats, trousers, and ties. I was going to pick up a nice BB suit anyways for $6, so I'm a fan of the "Bag Sale"

They're restocking the racks and holding it every day until Saturday too!

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Wish they'd do something like that around here! Clothing finds have been really scarce lately, but I did pick up a nice batch of records from the thrift today that some fellow vinyl enthusiasts may appreciate. All seem to be original pressing with the original inner sleeves. No split seams, writing, trashed LPs - all in VG-VG+ conditon. It's tough to find early Elvis because everyone and their brother grabs them when they see them. I've been collecting for 10+ years and this is the first I've seen of his first two LPs at any garage sale/thrift. 45s: - Trashmen: Real Live Doll/Dancing With Santa LPs: Elvis Presley: Elvis Elvis Presley: S/T (still has the original plastic sleeve, before they switched to paper). Elvis Presley: Elvis is Back Little Richard: S/T on Specialty Ricky Nelson: Ricky
DSC01099.jpg
DSC01100.jpg

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
...Clothing finds have been really scarce lately, but I did pick up a nice batch of records from the thrift today that some fellow vinyl enthusiasts may appreciate...

I know almost nothing about old records but even I can grasp that a monster find!
worship2.gif

Coal_Mining_Polak

Reaction score
^^Wish they'd do something like that around here!

Clothing finds have been really scarce lately, but I did pick up a nice batch of records from the thrift today that some fellow vinyl enthusiasts may appreciate. All seem to be original pressing with the original inner sleeves. No split seams, writing, trashed LPs - all in VG-VG+ conditon. It's tough to find early Elvis because everyone and their brother grabs them when they see them. I've been collecting for 10+ years and this is the first I've seen of his first two LPs at any garage sale/thrift.

45s:
- Trashmen: Real Live Doll/Dancing With Santa

LPs:

Elvis Presley: Elvis
Elvis Presley: S/T (still has the original plastic sleeve, before they switched to paper).
Elvis Presley: Elvis is Back
Little Richard: S/T on Specialty
Ricky Nelson: Ricky

Great finds, I can't help but think of "London Calling" though whenever I see albums with that title color scheme
laugh.gif

idrinkwater

Reaction score
FIRST, I'M NEW HERE. SECOND, I APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE FOR TYPING IN ALL CAPS. TODAY IS THE ANNIVERSARY OF THE DEATH OF BILLY MAYS, AND I'M PAYING HOMAGE TO HIM BY YELLING.

I'VE FOUND SOME GOOD STUFF LATELY:
-TWEED BB SPORT COAT
-BB TRENCH COAT (ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS)
-DIOR TRENCH COAT
-POLO PR TWEED SPORT COAT
-HARRIS TWEED COAT
DEFIANTLY THE BEST -ALDEN FULL STRAP SLIP ON (9.5)

kdk_1480.jpg

kdk_1481.jpg

AGAIN, SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS. I REALIZE THAT I DON'T SOUND TOO INTELLIGENT, BUT IT'S FOR A GOOD CAUSE.

CasmirRadon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by idrinkwater
...TODAY IS THE ANNIVERSARY OF THE DEATH OF BILLY MAYS, AND I'M PAYING HOMAGE TO HIM BY YELLING...

This is awesome.

Also those Alden's are a great find, color me envious (considering those are my size)

lynch_king

Reaction score
Originally Posted by idrinkwater
FIRST, I'M NEW HERE. SECOND, I APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE FOR TYPING IN ALL CAPS. TODAY IS THE ANNIVERSARY OF THE DEATH OF BILLY MAYS, AND I'M PAYING HOMAGE TO HIM BY YELLING.

I'VE FOUND SOME GOOD STUFF LATELY:
-TWEED BB SPORT COAT
-BB TRENCH COAT (ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS)
-DIOR TRENCH COAT
-POLO PR TWEED SPORT COAT
-HARRIS TWEED COAT
DEFIANTLY THE BEST -ALDEN FULL STRAP SLIP ON (9.5)

AGAIN, SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS. I REALIZE THAT I DON'T SOUND TOO INTELLIGENT, BUT IT'S FOR A GOOD CAUSE.

anypics of the Dior trench?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DSC01100.jpg

Dayton's (Minneapolis) purchased Schuneman's (St. Paul) around 1960.

It was on Sixth and Wabasha.

Before my time, but my mother would point it out when we went downtown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads