• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe care: timing and best products?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aluan
wearing suede in the rain is a bad idea anyway.

I prefer to wear suede shoes or boots in the rain.

Use a spray on them first and it only requires a quick brushing to clean them back up (and sometimes not even that).

ajv

Reaction score
IMHO, those are the best products to take care of your shoes. Follow the link below and check on the upper right hand side to have the site in english...

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
I always tree my shoes after wearing, for at least 24 hours. Shoes with matching trees keep theirs in, while the rest make do with three plastic ones that get rotated. Still trying to get more trees. When wet, I stuff them with newspaper until dry. All of my dress shoes are on rotation, and get at least 3-4 days off between wearings.

All of my new shoes now have toe taps installed - no topys.

I use wax polish, and after building up an acceptable shine I only touch it up after every 5-6 wearings or so. I find that there's enough of a protective layer of wax on them that I can brush off minor scuffs in a few seconds. For my AEs I use the matching AE-branded shoe cream. I've never waterproofed, but instead take precautions to wear rainy-day (ie, rubber-soled) dress shoes when it's wet, and I wear boots in the snow.

I've never conditioned my shoes before, but I have been experimenting with a product called Leather CPR, which supposedly restores and softens leather. I've used it on my cheapo Loake oxfords (CG leather), and found that the uppers are much more supple now. There were already deep creases behind the toe caps (due to 3 years of regular wear), but that might be because the shoes are a bit too wide for me across the ball, and the toebox is very roomy. We'll see if the product extends their lifespan.

Vox Populi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shuuy
I've spent 20 minutes looking at all the shoe care forums, and since I'm a dumb ivy league MBA'er, I need things spelled out for me (frequency, purpose, and products). Appreciate your help telling me where I'm good, or where I'm not. In return for your dragon wisdom, I'll update this top post to make this thread relevant.

Mandatory steps

Shoe Trees
- After every use
- Keeps insides of shoes dry, which prolongs the life.
- Shoe trees are pretty standard, so no real "best" product?

Cleaning and conditioning
- Weekly
- Takes off all the rain/dirt/grime / prevents the leather from cracking by "re-oiling" the leather
- Lexol is best
- Apply with a cotton rag (i.e., old t-shirt), let sit in, and wipe dry

Question: Is cleaning and conditioning two separate steps?

Polishing
- Weekly
- After leather is cleaned and conditioned, makes it shiny.
- Comes in either a paste or a cream. Cream-fans like how it gets "into" the leather
- Kiwi has a generally negative reputation, and Meltonian is generally favorable.
- Use a horsehair brush to rub into the shoe (either paste or cream), then use a big brush to rub-off any excess, then a cotton cloth to shine

Optional steps
Waterproofing
- After polishing
- After you've polished, you want to protect your precious from the elements
- If it's a spray can, then spray and wipe, otherwise use snoseal (wax). Some people like melting it, others use friction to warm)

Dying
- Very infrequently
- You want black to really be black, or you don't like the brown
- After cleaning, apply dye and follow instructions
- ??

Other key points
- Saddle soap tends to wreck delicate shoes

Recommended first purchase
- Shoe Trees
- Lexol Leather Conditioner
- Shoe Shine Kit w Melotonian Creams
Question: Am I missing anything else?

I would suggest that you follow the maker's instructions, old chap.

Grenson have useful guide on their website.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great list! Thanks for taking the initiative. Personally, I'd go crazy if I polished my shoes once a week. I generally give my collection a seasonal polish and do a few touch ups here and there on specific shoes when I see they need it.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MisterGee
Nice exposition. Can someone provide a link to where to purchase a nice shoe care kit or just where to buy the above products? Thanks.

Franco's. Excellent source for Saphir and Crema Nubiana. SF member Ron Rider works there and heads up Rider boots:
http://www.francos.com/items/index.asp?catID=71

And some shoe trees fill the shoe better than others. I like Woodlore Epic, the rebadged Costco ones are available cheap on Ebay.

Piato

Reaction score
I was searching for Meltonian shoe cream in NYC and discovered a place that has their entire range. Oddly enough it's a theater supply place: Manhattan Wardrobe Supply. The place is kind of a dump, but they have everything from light gray to green to "banana."

enarchay

Reaction score
Is polish necessary for a pebble-grained leather?

I'm referring to the Allen-Edmond McClain in chili. I bought conditioner from AE, but no polish. Wondering if the conditioner will be sufficient for keeping the shoe in top shape.

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
Is polish necessary for a pebble-grained leather?

I'm referring to the Allen-Edmond McClain in chili. I bought conditioner from AE, but no polish. Wondering if the conditioner will be sufficient for keeping the shoe in top shape.

Read post #12

What do you think of the McClain?

enarchay

Reaction score
What do you think of the McClain?
I haven't owned any AEs before, so I'm not sure how much my opinion counts, but I really like the McClain. I was a bit worried about the chili color at first, but it's really nice looking in person; it's a darker color rather than a bright orange, and has a lot of nuance to it.

enarchay

Reaction score
I use shoe cream on my shoes everywhere but where i want to spit shine...and that is never any further back than the stiff part of the shoe.
So what exactly is the difference between shoe cream, polish, and conditioner?

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or just do nothing to fit in perfectly.

Raralith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
So what exactly is the difference between shoe cream, polish, and conditioner?

Shoe cream and polish are the same thing. From recent AAAC copy/paste:
- Cleaner: Cleans the shoe, getst hat gunk off. Sometimes conbined into a cleaner/conditioner which works fine.
- Conditioner: Adds back moisture to the leather. Sometimes conbined into a cleaner/conditioner which works fine.
- Cream/Polish: Adds back color to the shoe but does not give it a sheen or shine. If you scratch the leather on your shoe and it has a discolored line (against a table), you can polish and buff most of it off.
- Wax: Gives a "coat" of wax for protection and shine. If your shoes are looking a bit dull and you want them to shine a bit (or a lot through "bulling"), use wax.
- Edge dressing: This is purely aethetics. The edge of your shoe, where the sole is, is leather but a black or brown dye is put on top of it, called a "dressing." Well, if you look at the tip of your shoe and see that the dye has been worn down (the way you walk, walked into something, etc...), you can now see the nude leather. Applying edge dressing (in whatever color) redyes it so it looks newer and gives it more of a clean look.

enarchay

Reaction score
Unless you're spit shining the toes I would not recommend any form of solid shoe polish for good shoes. Shoe polish has benzine in it. It is there to cool the wax quickly and make it hard so that it can be buffed. It will also draw the moisturizers out of the leather.

I use shoe cream on my shoes everywhere but where i want to spit shine...and that is never any further back than the stiff part of the shoe.
Wait... I'm confused here. Don't use shoe polish? Only use it when?...

Walter4

Reaction score
If I can add, there can be a different with shoe trees. Those that are made by the shoe manufacturer for the specific last of shoe are best, as the key purpose of shoe trees is to maintain the shape of the shoe.

If you don't get "lasted" shoe trees, try and find trees that best fit the particular shoe. You don't want to stretch the leather, but you do want to fill the open spaces so as to prevent creases and hold the shape of the shoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads