1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoe care: timing and best products?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by shuuy, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

I don't think I want wax because I don't care to have my shoes extremely shiny. As for the polish, I've heard that certain shoe care products (waxes?) can deplete the shoe over time. Polish wouldn't do this, correct?
    There is a whole debate on this topic in another string. Nothing conclusive though.

2. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

There is a whole debate on this topic in another string. Nothing conclusive though.

Have a link to the topic?

3. vincerich

vincerich Senior member

I'm about to buy some products from AE's site, so just to recap...

I should use polish, but not wax?

Do I need anything else on this list?

1. AE Conditioner/cleaner

2. AE polish

3. AE horsehair brush

4. AE flannel cloth

5. Heel/sole edge dressing.

Do I also need the shoe cream?

You'll need the horsehair brush and the bottle of matching polish. You can use a tshirt rather than the flannel cloth. The conditioner/cleaner depends on which shoe you buy. The burnished calf, shell cordovan and suede products don't require the conditioner/cleaner. AE doesn't recommend it for those shoes. The heel dressing is a personal choice. if you want to touch up the color on the heels of your shoes, it's your business. Personally, I pass. You'll definitely need at least 1 pair of shoe trees. JAB has shoe trees on sale for 12.50 for the rest of today. I ordered 2 pair this morning for my new AE shoes.

4. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

You'll need the horsehair brush and the bottle of matching polish. You can use a tshirt rather than the flannel cloth. The conditioner/cleaner depends on which shoe you buy. The burnished calf, shell cordovan and suede products don't require the conditioner/cleaner.

I have the McClains. I don't believe they are "burnished calf."

Btw, I notice in the AE care video on youtube, the guy uses the Dauber. Do I need this as well, or will the horsehair brush suffice?

Thanks.

5. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

6. vincerich

vincerich Senior member

Does AE sell lasted shoe trees?

I bought a spring-loaded shoe tree from AE, and I followed their size chart, and I notice the fit is fairly tight--it's a bit difficult to get the shoe tree to slide into the heel. I worry that this will stretch the shoe, but I don't have any alternatives at the moment.

I wish.

7. boxdiver

boxdiver Senior member

I'm still trying to find a consistent set of steps to take care of my Allen Edmond Park Avenue's.I saw the video on the AE website, then I saw different things on the board.

I applied the AE shoe polish, then tried using the horsehair brush and it seemed to do nothing. I then wiped off the polish with a cloth. The shoes for some reason appear less shiny than they were before I polished them.

Are these the correct steps?

1) Remove dirt
    2) Apply shoe polish with cloth
    3) Remove shoe polish with cloth
    4) Apply wax (if desired)

Also, how do you all store your shoes? Do you try and keep them in the original box/covered or do you just put them on your shoe rack?

Thanks.

8. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

9. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Ths is what I do every couple of months:

1) Remove dirt with horsehair brush
    2) Apply conditioner
    3) Let dry
    4) Brush with horsehair bush
    5) Buff with soft cloth
    6) Apply shoe cream or wax with either a cloth or dauber