• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Protecting hearing with MP3 players

enarchay

Reaction score
I use an MP3 player when I go to the gym, and I often find myself turning up the volume to drown out outside noises (such as the radio I don't want to listen to). I've read that MP3 players can cause permanent hearing damage at high enough levels, so I want to be more careful for now on.

Which affordable headphones do you guys recommend for protecting hearing? Do hearing doctors recommend any specifically?

Also, I use the Sansa Clip. How can I determine how low to keep the volume to prevent hearing damage? I can't find out how many decibels 100% volume equals out to.

Thanks.

hamish5178

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
I use an MP3 player when I go to the gym, and I often find myself turning up the volume to drown out outside noises (such as the radio I don't want to listen to). I've read that MP3 players can cause permanent hearing damage at high enough levels, so I want to be more careful for now on.

Which affordable headphones do you guys recommend for protecting hearing? Do hearing doctors recommend any specifically?

Also, I use the Sansa Clip. How can I determine how low to keep the volume to prevent hearing damage? I can't find out how many decibels 100% volume equals out to.

Thanks.

I think the suggested amount is %60 of total volume no more than 60 minutes (or 30?) per day? Not sure. Anything in-ear is better than normal headphones, if you want to spend $$ look for noise canceling ones.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
I've been happy with the sony earbuds which fit snug in your ear canal, they do block out more ambient noise (and bad gym music).

Sound isn't stunning, but it does the job for the gym. The do crap out with heavy sweat but they fix themselves if you leave them in the sunlight for a few days.

on amazon: Sony MDREX38iP/BLK EX Earbud (i have an older version, this looks close enough)

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can set my Nano to limit the maximum volume. I definitely noticed ringing in my ears with the default settings so now my player can only go to 70% of maximum.
SkullCandy makes decent in ear buds for around $20

dune

Reaction score
I have a pair of these Philips in-ears.

I have a Zune HD, and with the volume turned up to 12 or 14, they block out pretty much any other noise, especially when listening to hardcore. In general, I'd say that in-ears are pretty good for working out, as other types tend to fall out easier.

stevester1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GanglandDandy
I'm afraid of this happening to me too. I love the colors on SkullCandy headphones and earphones.
+1 for Skullcandy They are pretty cheap and they cancel out ambient noises very well. At 20$, you can't go wrong. http://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-Ear...6512250&sr=8-2 If you feel like spending about 50-60$, go to best buy and ask a rep to sell you a pair of 100$ earphones at cost price, their discount is roughly 50% on headphones (usually - exclude Bose). Give him a tip and you should be in the clear.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like my pair of "jbuds2". Very similar to whats been posted here. Great for blocking outside sounds.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamish5178
I think the suggested amount is %60 of total volume no more than 60 minutes (or 30?) per day? Not sure. Anything in-ear is better than normal headphones, if you want to spend $$ look for noise canceling ones.

You can't base things off stuff like this. 60% is meaningless...it depends on your headphones and player. I have some pretty low impedance headphones that I don't use past the first one or two volume clicks on my laptop but there are other headphones that need a headphone amp since max volume on an ipod doesn't do them justice.
The bit about per day expsure is somewhat true though, you want to keep loud noise exposure to a daily minimum.

Remember: Hearing loss is permanent and cumulative. Little bits of damage build up over time and they don't go away. If your ears are left ringing, you have caused damage that will still be there when the ringing is gone (and it will keep building up until you are able to notice it).

The best rec I can suggest is to get noise cancelling/isolating headphones. I have a pair of those same jbuds J2 and they are great at blocking out ambient noise so that you can keep the absolute volume down. Basically you want earplugs with headphones built in...instead of drowning out the noise with damaging LOUDER noise, you can block the noise and then deliver your preferred music at a safe volume.

As a side note, I hate the douches on the bus with their headphones so damn loud I can clearly identify the music they are listening to...not only are they unaware that they will probably have serious hearing problems (remember, our parents didn't have ipods...there are no caution stories yet) but they are annoying me while I try to read. Bonus points if it us some thug-wannabee kid but you can hear him blasting Miley Cyrus (true story...and it was loud enough to hear it on a moving L train).

darnelled

Reaction score
I think you'll be better off with just about any that seal your ear from the outside. I use some made by Shure for the gym. It allowed me to cut the level down a few notches and also drowns out all of the idiot-speak going on there.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by darnelled
I think you'll be better off with just about any that seal your ear from the outside. I use some made by Shure for the gym. It allowed me to cut the level down a few notches and also drowns out all of the idiot-speak going on there.

+1 on Shure. I just recently purchased a pair and it works wonders in the gym

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Best in-ears for under 100? My new gym is about 5x louder than my old smaller gym that closed down because of a) the louder music b) idiot high school kids dropping and banging weights c) all the idiot speak at once.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could pick up a pair of shures for that...but I think I paid $13 for my jbuds J2 (they list at 79 but amazon has them for 18 now if you choose white...higher for other colors).

They are perfect for the gym and sound fine. They come with several sets of ear cups for different fits and I have found that they pop out of your ear without really hurting when you catch them on things (this can be an issue in gyms...)

For $100 you could get a pair of shure e-2 or e-3 depending on sale prices (don't pay list...) and while they are better, I am not sure they are worth it for the gym.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads