• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to get a dress shirt collar to stand up after washing like it's new?

blueheronNC

Reaction score
I've had problems with this for years and can't figure out how to maintain that "new dress shirt" look on my collars after washing. I usually hand wash in Woolite and hang dry. The problem I have is that after washing/ironing, the collar wears itself a lot more "spread out" when I have the top button undone (which is always since I work business casual) than when it was new. I look like I'm from the 70s/Saturday Night Fever and my undershirt always shows. You can basically see everything underneath the shirt above the first button I have fastened (undershirt, chest hair if I'm not wearing an undershirt, etc.). You can also see the inside of my collar towards the front because of the way the collar is limp/spread out.

So how to I get my dress shirt collar to stand upright like the attached photo below (taken wearing a new shirt for the first time)? Is it simply a matter of starching (which I've never tried because many advise against it)? If so, how do I starch properly to ensure that look? Or is there a particular ironing or hang dry technique that I'm foregoing?

blueheronNC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmoody15
Like this

I don't understand what that would achieve over regular collar stays, which I already use in my dress shirts. Sure, they keep the collar itself in a straight line over that portion, but it doesn't solve the "spread out" look I describe above.

Hans

Reaction score
I used to have this problem as well, until I bought better shirts. Now I wear mostly Finamore, plus a few Borrelli and Isaia. In my experience, their collars always look sharp. I wash my shirts with regular detergent (no starch) in the machine and then line dry them.

Professor Chaos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blueheronNC
I don't understand what that would achieve over regular collar stays, which I already use in my dress shirts. Sure, they keep the collar itself in a straight line over that portion, but it doesn't solve the "spread out" look I describe above.
It does solve the spread out look. Through magic!* *Unless you can explain magnetism, I'm calling it magic.

blueheronNC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hans
I used to have this problem as well, until I bought better shirts. Now I wear mostly Finamore, plus a few Borrelli and Isaia. In my experience, their collars always look sharp. I wash my shirts with regular detergent (no starch) in the machine and then line dry them.

All my shirts are MTM and in the $150-200 price range, so I'm not sure how much higher I need to go! Do you use any particular practices when line drying, like fastening various buttons (e.g. the top one)?

jmoody15

Reaction score

It all depends on your positioning of the magnet. If you position the magnet wide, you'lee get the spread out look. If you slide the magnet into a narrower and higher position, then your collar stands up.

Those magnets are pretty strong, so it usually stays however you position your collar

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Boil the body. Starch the collar and cuffs before your man buttons them on.

Change collar and cuffs to a fresh set before 2PM.

- B

Hans

Reaction score
All my shirts are MTM and in the $150-200 price range, so I'm not sure how much higher I need to go! Do you use any particular practices when line drying, like fastening various buttons (e.g. the top one)?

No, I just dry them on a rack and then iron them while they are still a little bit humid. After that, I keep them on a hanger with the top button fastened.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inside the shirt.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bentley
I don't understand how these magnetic collar stays work. Can someone explain?

Where does the little magnet go?

Picture+50.png

I use a bunch of these instead of a belt.

- B

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by Bentley
I don't understand how these magnetic collar stays work. Can someone explain?

Where does the little magnet go?

Some of you are too slow, not enough coffee today?
facepalm.gif

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Picture+50.png

I use a bunch of these instead of a belt.

- B

Have you found the realignment of the molecules in your reproductive area to of advantage?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads