• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to get a dress shirt collar to stand up after washing like it's new?

enarchay

Reaction score
Do you guys use collar stays for the collars on oxford shirts (with the buttons)? I notice that when I wear my oxford shirts with the top button (or top two buttons) undone, the collars tend to sort of flop over left and right, rather than standing up with a slight roll. Doesn't look great. Wearing a blazer solves this, but sometimes I wear oxfords with the sleeves rolled up.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dont use the stays, I prefer to look a bit more nonchalant. My procedure is simple, wash in a washing machine hot wash with decent detergent. Hang dry, press with a steam iron (NO starch!) hang back on hanger with second button done.

I use the second button (not the neck button) because it leaves the collar in a position where if i'm tieless the collar stands up and if i wear a tie it lays nicely.

Leave enough room between the shirts hanging that they dont smash the collars down. Problem solved.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blueheronNC
I don't understand what that would achieve over regular collar stays, which I already use in my dress shirts. Sure, they keep the collar itself in a straight line over that portion, but it doesn't solve the "spread out" look I describe above.

I have used these and they work great. The collars you get in OTR shirts are flimsy. You can have a tailor change collars. You will get a much more stiff one which will be easier to hold up.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Life is better in a suit.

Thats actually quite true.

+1000.

Mata_Leao

Reaction score
Try buttoning your top button as you get dressed in the morning. After a couple minutes buttoned, it should hang cleaner when you go open collar. Works like a charm for me.

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by P. Bateman
Can anyone here vouch for the power stays? I just got this Michael Kors shirt which makes me look like it's disco time.

IMG_2481.jpg

Collar looks too roomy.

Todd6060

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
if only there were a way to hold the collar in place - like, if it could somehow be buttoned down onto the shirt.

Exactly. I only wear button-down collars unless I am wearing a tie.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about you stop wearing spread collars that are not buttoned all the way up and undershirts altogether. Both looks suck.

Mike

marshtj

Reaction score
In my new position, the dress is more often then not business casual. I hated the look of collar fly away that always appeared half way throught the day. Then, I found Wurkin Stiffs:

http://www.wurkinstiffs.com/

I now wear them 2-3 days a week and could be more pleased. I think they are the perfect solution to this problem. By the way, I am not in any way affiliated with the company. I'm only an enthusiatic customer.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marshtj
In my new position, the dress is more often then not business casual. I hated the look of collar fly away that always appeared half way throught the day. Then, I found Wurkin Stiffs:

http://www.wurkinstiffs.com/

I now wear them 2-3 days a week and could be more pleased. I think they are the perfect solution to this problem. By the way, I am not in any way affiliated with the company. I'm only an enthusiatic customer.

I have the same. They work great. You can use them with or without the magnets!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads