• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying Japanese Selvedge denim (by the yard)

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm really interested in some arts and crafts type projects using some kickass denim... I'm not gonna upholster my car or anything, but does anyone know where to get some realllllly reallllllly really nice ~13-14oz+ denim that you wouldn't mind making jeans out of?

I was under the impression that most better mills won't sell to random F***ers, or to fabric retailers.

tundrafour

Reaction score
I found this web page a few months ago. I can't guarantee the fabric's quality since I haven't ordered any, but it looks okay (good enough for arts and crafts, at least) to me.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you can go to a jobber and buy the fabric. You are looking at 7.99 a yard and I would use 21 oz denim.

Raijin

Reaction score
Hello all, first time post for me. I work in the industry and 7.99 a yard for 21oz selvage seems insanely cheap. I buy direct in Japan (either kuroki or kaihara usually, sometimes hishitomo) and for 25 rolls I pay more than $14 a meter for quality fabric. Decent non-selvage goes for around $7-8 a meter (but at double width of selvage). Since I buy (and manufacture) in Japan I would assume prices would be higher for similar fabrics here in the U.S. I would be highly suspicious of someone selling 21oz Japanese selvage at those prices.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Souper
I'm sorry, what's a jobber?

thats the man between the manufacture and the retail store.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raijin
Hello all, first time post for me. I work in the industry and 7.99 a yard for 21oz selvage seems insanely cheap. I buy direct in Japan (either kuroki or kaihara usually, sometimes hishitomo) and for 25 rolls I pay more than $14 a meter for quality fabric. Decent non-selvage goes for around $7-8 a meter (but at double width of selvage). Since I buy (and manufacture) in Japan I would assume prices would be higher for similar fabrics here in the U.S. I would be highly suspicious of someone selling 21oz Japanese selvage at those prices.

do you sell denim by the yard or can you recommend someone that will do this.
someone in japan or the usa. i would like selvage 16 to 21 oz.

Raijin

Reaction score
Sorry I can't be of any help there, I'm not a textile dealer but rather have a line of clothing. The fabric goes from the mill to the factory and not through our hands. I just thought those prices cheap for any kind of good denim. They have shuttle looms in China now as well but it is in no way good quality Japanese selvage denim. (though probably better than standard fair Chinese denim)

Regular denim makers generally don't make anything higher than 14oz denim. Most of these heavy oz denims you see are custom runs and not the kind of fabric that a mill would have on hand. True 21oz (don't believe everything you read about denim weight) denim cannot be sewn on regular machines. The guy who made the first 21oz fabric (that fabric was later taken over by the people that make Iron Heart) had to use machines used for leather to get through the fabric. The highest oz denim I have seen carried on a stock sheet was 15oz.
Good luck though.... maybe try and make friends with someone at iron heart, flathead, or samurai and see if they will send you some left-over fabric....

airflight23

Reaction score
I too am looking for quality selvedge or non selvedge denim

I am located in the Los Angeles area so if anyone sees this, holla

looking to buy at least 5 yards, maybe more (PROBABLY MORE)

Cordwinder

Reaction score
Sorry, reviving 3 year old thread.

I am a jobber in japan. I can get and sell selvedge denim. PM if interested.

Lawrider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cordwinder
Sorry, reviving 3 year old thread.

I am a jobber in japan. I can get and sell selvedge denim. PM if interested.

do you ship it around the world?
what's the price for 14 oz selvedge in 30 metres lenght?

thnx.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads