• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by djh
^TheShoeMart - call them up and ask to be put on the second's list for Aldens in your size. A bunch of great deals right now.
teacha.gif
Yes.

Only one place to get seconds.

slappy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
Have you done the footwork with Alden and how much will you save? I doubt if you cannot shell out retail for one pair of shoes that you are going to be able to lay down the down payment for 12 pairs..
smile.gif

Cute. Edit: deleted my sarcastic comment

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slappy
Cute.

Edit: deleted my sarcastic comment

Are sarcastic comments too expensive?
fight[1].gif

Really have you contacted Alden yet?

slappy

Reaction score
Actually I did contact Alden as I mentioned in an earlier post. Though I pretended to be opening a mens store. You seem pretty fixated on wealth as a status symbol. I do hope you actually make more money than me.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slappy
Actually I did contact Alden as I mentioned in an earlier post. Though I pretended to be opening a mens store. You seem pretty fixated on wealth as a status symbol. I do hope you actually make more money than me.
Well do you have any details on pricing? Will you need a brick and mortar? As for wealth I really could care less either way. It just seems like this is ill thought out and you are focused on just saving money but in the end may end up spending more.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well do you have any details on pricing? Will you need a brick and mortar? As for wealth I really could care less either way. It just seems like this is ill thought out and you are focused on just saving money but in the end may end up spending more.

Honestly I'd be amazed if he could pull this off. Doing any kind of group order like this is like herding cats. Also seems like a real Alden dealer could get wind of this and let Alden know the truth behind "slappy's house of shoes" and *poof* goes the order.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Honestly I'd be amazed if he could pull this off. Doing any kind of group order like this is like herding cats. Also seems like a real Alden dealer could get wind of this and let Alden know the truth behind "slappy's house of shoes" and *poof* goes the order.
I know it will not happen but it would be worth it just to monitor the sizing fiasco.
facepalm.gif

darnold

Reaction score
If any kind of group order gets rolling, registering a desire for a plaza lasted, double leather soled perf tip bluch.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
groups are tough.
it's hard getting 3 people to agree on one shoe, let alone 12!
plus Alden has to approve the design.

but hey, count me in for a cigar plain-toe boot, Barrie last, double leather sole with natural edge in 9E
at wholesale price.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
with all this talk about a "custom" Alden shoe, it's inevitable that there's going to be another 3-4 pages of conversation that will lead nowhere (or perhaps to a half of an idea for a boot that will picked up by an Alden dealer here and submitted to be be made)

to help keep things grounded, here's some things that you may want to keep in mind about Alden shoes:

- custom one offs are available through some brick and mortar stores, but there is an $150 extra fee, plus taxes. A shell boot that normally costs $650 will be close to $850-$900 for a custom design after all fees are paid for. There will be a 6-9 month waiting time for black and #8 cordovan, longer for the other colors.

- Alden doesn't even give an estimated completion time for shell cordovan shoes/boots in the rare colors, most reputable dealers wait 12-24 months for their order. FORGET about custom ordering a batch of cigar or whiskey shell makeups.

- on that note, FORGET about modified last make ups, if you want them, buy them (or order them with a large mark up) at Moulded Shoe in NYC or there are a few "modified last" models on shoemart, very few.

- if you really want a custom shoe, your best bet is to email Tom at Leathersoul with your design and if it is a good one, he will submit the order to Alden for a batch even if there are not 12 people ready to buy.

So anyways my advice is:

- always keep $600 spare if you are on the lookout for a new Alden boot. You never know when something like the Pitt boot from LS or the Cigar Indy from Leffot will be on flash sale. If you are scraping up money after the shoes have been out a while, you are too late.

- make a list of the styles you want and buy only what is on your list, if you can get the exact model for $10 or $50 off, do it as brand new Aldens are hardly ever on sale.

- buying Aldens is addicting (that's why there are a few members here with 5+ pairs, myself included). To start off, get the few pairs of exactly what you want and then learn to enjoy the special makeups and other people's collections vicariously. Like any good thing, if you have too much of it, it becomes a burden rather than a pleasure. (I'm still waiting for the winter and a new job where I can wear some of the dressier models I bought from LS over a year ago - though my collection is small enough where I am still on the lookout for a few more).

Hope this helps! Continue the debate...

rick

Reaction score
HEH! I got a pair of Whiskey Longwings (Seconds) on the way and am on a pre-wait list for Ravello Cap Toe boot sans speed hooks. I think I am sitting this out.

ahab where are you on a list for the ravello captoe, i would like to join you on that list.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1969
Are you guys serious about trying to dupe Alden into selling you on the cheap? If so, please take your shenanigans off this thread.

Agreed.

Even if the plan comes off--a big 'if'--(especially since the scheme is being batted around the 'official Alden thread' of a public forum
facepalm.gif
) the money saved won't come close to making up for the time and energy you'll spend executing the plan. Not to be a fly in ointment, but phrases like 'can of worms' , 'total fiasco', 'hair-brained scheme', and 'massive headache' have come to mind when reading the last few pages of this thread.

slappy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1969
Are you guys serious about trying to dupe Alden into selling you on the cheap? If so, please take your shenanigans off this thread.

There's no duping of Alden. Why would Alden care whether a collective of shoppers or a store buys their shoes? They get the same profit for either. Anyways I can see this isn't going to end up anywhere constructive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads