• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

chriskl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
I have nothing of value to add to this discussion but I just wanted to recognize that this is a ******* awesome quote.

+1

Coltboy, we need more people with your philosophy in the world.

sharkw

Reaction score
He actually did the whole rough calculation for me. From what I remember: $6,000 in fabric, the sponging/cutting would be $400, something else (labour costs for putting together the suit?) $3,000, and then the retail price would typically be double that (markup/margin I guess?), for a total of $19,000+. That was at the extreme high end though. At the opposite end, he showed me a small swatch of fabric from another supplier with the wholesale price being quoted at $16.50 a yard! Quite the spread in prices!

I think his point was that certain of the fabric suppliers and suit industry were slightly out of touch with what would constitute a reasonable amount to pay for a suit. 1-2 weeks salary for someone making about $100,000 a year (which is quite a good amount in my city) would be $2K-$3K. So the suits they sold in the store would go up to just under $2,000.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sharkw
He actually did the whole rough calculation for me. From what I remember: $6,000 in fabric, the sponging/cutting would be $400, something else (labour costs for putting together the suit?) $3,000, and then the retail price would typically be double that (markup/margin I guess?), for a total of $19,000+. That was at the extreme high end though. At the opposite end, he showed me a small swatch of fabric from another supplier with the wholesale price being quoted at $16.50 a yard! Quite the spread in prices! I think his point was that certain of the fabric suppliers and suit industry were slightly out of touch with what would constitute a reasonable amount to pay for a suit. 1-2 weeks salary for someone making about $100,000 a year (which is quite a good amount in my city) would be $2K-$3K. So the suits they sold in the store would go up to just under $2,000.
Plus it just sounds like a ripoff to me. No way the company is sending out swatches of a few square inches each if their "value" is so high.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He actually did the whole rough calculation for me. From what I remember: $6,000 in fabric, the sponging/cutting would be $400, something else (labour costs for putting together the suit?) $3,000, and then the retail price would typically be double that (markup/margin I guess?), for a total of $19,000+. That was at the extreme high end though. At the opposite end, he showed me a small swatch of fabric from another supplier with the wholesale price being quoted at $16.50 a yard! Quite the spread in prices!

I think his point was that certain of the fabric suppliers and suit industry were slightly out of touch with what would constitute a reasonable amount to pay for a suit. 1-2 weeks salary for someone making about $100,000 a year (which is quite a good amount in my city) would be $2K-$3K. So the suits they sold in the store would go up to just under $2,000.

Well, by your numbers, even if the cloth is free (or CMT), you can't get a suit there for less than $7k.
I think the problem is hardly the 'unreasonable fabric suppliers' but the 100% markup they charge. If they think fabric is expensive, why do they want to skim 100% on top of that?
At some point you have to decide whether you are a tailor or a cloth merchant.

mjc

Reaction score
A bit off topic but we spoke a bit about the economics of suit tailoring, just for information's sake he showed me one top end mill's fabric price list, one fabric was over $2,000 a yard (material only) - and it takes about 3 yards for a suit!

Now, was that 100% wool, or a wool-poly blend?
laugh.gif

- Mike

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
Maybe it had threads of gold woven into the cloth, in which case it would be a wool-mineral blend?

The sad thing is, they actually sell such a fabric...

It makes for a heavier flannel.

sharkw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
Well, by your numbers, even if the cloth is free (or CMT), you can't get a suit there for less than $7k. I think the problem is hardly the 'unreasonable fabric suppliers' but the 100% markup they charge. If they think fabric is expensive, why do they want to skim 100% on top of that? At some point you have to decide whether you are a tailor or a cloth merchant.
Just to clarify, they actually don't make suits at that store, he was just giving me an extreme example of how much one could spend on a custom suit - yes I realize now that he was overstating the case a tad
smile.gif
Originally Posted by mjc
Now, was that 100% wool, or a wool-poly blend?
laugh.gif
- Mike

No swatch, just a description and price in a catalogue (not even a picture!), must have been a blend
biggrin.gif
Anyway I think I went off topic too much already, back to Indochino. Here are the pics after I got the suit back from the tailor. Stuff I had done: pants were pretty much spot on, got them lengthened a smidgen though they probably were perfect before for those who prefer minimal/no break. Had the jacket shoulders taken in half an inch, the tailor noted that I apparently had an erect posture so he also rotated the sleeves back a bit. As I said I'm happy overall, I will buy from Indochino again. Of course, I'm sure you can tell from the pictures that there are the usual shoulder issues plus pulling at the back, plus other details which I haven't caught. The shirt and tie are the free ones from the coupon, I probably could have tucked it in a bit better for the pictures. I look a little flabby in the pictures, anyone think I could/should narrow the chest/waist measurements a little more? Yeah I know I have pretty big hips, so perhaps this is the best a suit will ever fit me - definitely a huge improvement over anything I can get off the rack + tailored. Edit: yeah the sleeves could be shorted a tad and the jacket lengthened a bit.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jacket looks about 1 inch too short.
sleeves could be taken in .25 to .5 inches.

you look great in it otherwise, no really chubbiness.

LorenzL

Reaction score
The jacket is a bit short for my taste as well, but the fit seems really good! After the discussion about the shoulder style I became much more aware of how shoulders look on suits in general and I noticed that there are indeed people who much prefer that kind of look!

beowolf

Reaction score
Looks good Sharkw,

I might try for one this month.

mdwsta4

Reaction score
Well my tailor didn't like the way the suit fit at all and suggested i have it remade. Gave Indochino some updated measurements and we'll see how the shirt and suit come back.

dunkin

Reaction score
been thinking of getting a IC suit...I'll wait for a new discount code

jbharris88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dunkin
been thinking of getting a IC suit...I'll wait for a new discount code

You may be waiting awhile. I am a repeat customer and was wondering about promotions awhile back and customer service responded to me:

"Our company was built to providing real value to customers in terms of affordability, great service, custom-made experience and style education. Thus, we try not to focus on promotions unless for special holidays like Christmas."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads