• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My review of J Crew suits (they suck)

Chargersfan

Reaction score
Hugo Boss > Club Monaco > > > > > J Crew Ludlow

facepalm.gif

Go back to your Tip Top world...I hear Mexx calling your name...

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GucciMonster
As I stated in my original post it was the Piana Ludlow I was referring to not the worsted wool suit that you have posted (as it does not contain Loro Piana wool). I didn't expect a difference in QUALITY between the 2 and 3 button suit. * For the record it was a 2 button suit.

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...1351/21351.jsp

Well, according to J Crew - "Our signature suiting, meticulously crafted from four-season world-class wool fabric by Loro Piana. Bespoke-inspired details include intricate pickstitching along the lapels and interior and luxurious Bemberg lining"

I see that some of you guys apparently prefer 'lighter suits' but I assume that a 4 season world class wool would feel like it could be worn during 4 seasons, across the world. That's summer, spring, winter and fall (admittedly, not in that particular order)

Possibly the only thing dumber than the phrase "4 season world class wool" is the idea of "bespoke-inspired details."

Everyone and everything in this thread is fail.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hardly a review simply a rant that you did not likke this particular garment.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are pretty much four reasons why I don't care for J. Crew suits. Number one is the shoulders. I feel that they are kind of weak. A neopolitan shoulder is one thing, but J Crew attemps a lightly structured shoulder that just lacks any sort of shape for the structure that it has. I think it is funny that they are selling them now with basting thread in the seams as if you're getting it made and it hasn't been clipped yet. I am sure this marketing gimmick makes a lot of people excited.

Also, the buttons are extremely cheap looking plastic pieces. It bothers me that they get Loro Piana wool and add plastic buttons to it.

The proportions are a bit strange, the shoulders are wide, but the waist is super surpressed. This is why on a lot of people wearing them, and even the models you see all of the pulling at the button, because in order to get one that fits your shoulders it has to be snug in the waist, or people end up having a jacket that has 1987 shoulders.

They advertise a chest piece in some of the jackets. While some do have this, there is still a glued portion of interfacing in the jacket that gives it this odd feeling in the lapels and waist.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Also, the buttons are extremely cheap looking plastic pieces. It bothers me that they get Loro Piana wool and add plastic buttons to it.

While not denying how crappy J-Crew suits are, I regret to inform you that real Loro Piana jackets also use crappy plastic buttons that say "Loro Piana" on them.
frown.gif

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
The proportions are a bit strange, the shoulders are wide, but the waist is super surpressed. This is why on a lot of people wearing them, and even the models you see all of the pulling at the button, because in order to get one that fits your shoulders it has to be snug in the waist, or people end up having a jacket that has 1987 shoulders.

Could this be a good thing for people who need a higher drop?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
While not denying how crappy J-Crew suits are, I regret to inform you that real Loro Piana jackets also use crappy plastic buttons that say "Loro Piana" on them.
frown.gif

Ugh, that is just terrible...

On drop: It is not even that the chest is big, it is the shoulders themselves. I feel like if you need that much of a drop, the back and armholes are going to be pulling.

I wear about a 39 chest size, but if I were to buy a J Crew jacket I would have to have a size 36 shoulder with a 38 chest. It is almost like the shoulders and chest are mismatched.

Plus, as far as trousers go they are all sold as separates, no?

nctexan

Reaction score
I've been eyeing the Ludlow line for a bit now. Have never made a purchase as it just doesn't seem smart to purchase any type of suiting online, but there are very few J-crew stores that carry any of the suiting at all, so trying on w/o paying for shipping has been out of the question for me.

To get to my point they are running a sale for 30% off a $250 & up purchase, with free shipping. So I could pick up a Ludlow for just under $450. I'm gonna bit the bullet and order, seeing that I'd only have to pay for return costs if it doesn't work out on me. I have been going back & forth between the worsted wool and their other "Italian Wool", double vented. It's either the "charcoal" in the worsted or the "heather charcoal" in the other. I like the darker heather charcoal color but based on my small bit of fabric knowledge, wouldn't I be getting more bang for my buck going with the worsted?

I plan to use the suit immediately for recreational purposes, i.e. bachelor party night in vegas, titty club back home, so if I'm going to be wearing it at night, shouldn't I go with the darker color?

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Possibly the only thing dumber than the phrase "4 season world class wool" is the idea of "bespoke-inspired details.".

I disagree.

If they add things like:
  • working button holes
  • hacking pockets
  • ticket pocket
  • contrast stitching accents
  • the little buttonhole thingy hanging off the lapel
  • a slimmer cut
  • pick stitching
  • or a non-traditional lining color/pattern....
then I think it is perfectly accurate to use the verbiage "bespoke-inspired details."

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are a moron and have no idea what bespoke means, then I can see how that would make sense to you.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you are a moron and have no idea what bespoke means, then I can see how that would make sense to you.

The poster above you was the guy who thought that this shoe had wooden soles. He's kind of silly.

816660145_260.jpg

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
The poster above you was the guy who thought that this shoe had wooden soles. He's kind of silly.

816660145_260.jpg

What? You mean my double oak soles aren't really made of oak wood? I want my money back!

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the fairest review would be to say J Crew suits suck for you. These suits suck for me also, but a friend at work wears one and it looks like it was made for him.

I would generally avoid any suits from mass produced chains myself - that includes Banana Republic, Calvin Klein, so on and so forth. Most are not value for money - i.e. not worth $379 plus tax.

Besides, if you look around what can your $400 - $500 pocket money get you?
- A Zegna suit if you look around,
- A Hickey suit if you go through the outlet route (I picked up jacket and pants for measly sum of $450 from Barneys),
- A Hugo Boss suit for definitely under $400 if you look around. They aint the best suits ever, but still pretty darn good for the money if you pay under $400,
- A Versace Collection suit can be picked up in that price range as well. Saks had a 50% off and further 20% reduction making a Versace suit suprisingly cheap. Again Versace suits aint anywhere near the best, but if they are giving them away ...
- Burberry London suits are not so pricey if you look around. I picked a lovely charcoal plaid one from a great outlet for the amazing sum of $350. That suit was minted!
- Heck, Ive even seen Prada suits at an outlet that once you make deductions, you could walk out the door paying $550. Im not the greatest fan of their suits but I bet many people love em.

There are so many other great brands of suits that you can pick up for under $500 if you take time to look around.

Im not running down Jcrew, they are fine regarding the smart casuals, but for formal, like Banana Republic, I would be a little hesitant in throwing money in that direction.

AlmostFullBenefits

Reaction score
Its completely possible to get 4-season weight wool--if you live in a place that doesn't have seasons. Even living 6° south of Toronto, I don't see how a single weight could be appropriate for all 4 seasons.

Also, Klobber makes a really salient point: for the money you spent on the J. Crew suit, you could have bought a much higher quality suit, if you just spend the time to look around. There's no shame in not being able to afford a fine bespoke suit on a whim, but that doesn't mean you have to reserve yourself to greatly inferior products.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads