• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on Suit for Wedding

PaleRabbit8725

Reaction score
Hi All,

Im getting married in a few months and have started to look for a suit for myself. Initially, I was thinking Indochino but after reading reviews and going in for an appointment I wasnt confident in their process. I also feel that Im a bit of an awkward fit and have somewhat high expectations when it comes to how a suit should fit. I want to look like a million bucks on my wedding day!

I've come across two potential OTR suits that seem ok in fit but I was hoping to get some advice from people "in the know" about a proper fitting suit. OTR 40R seems about right for me. I have a broader chest/ larger pecks and bigger thighs with a narrow waist (39-40 chest, 31ish waist, 39 ish hip and definitely more triangular in shape). These seem to be the two areas of fit issues for me, especially in the chest area of OTR suits. Often find the lapel not sitting.

Here are the two options I've come across so far. Any comments or advice? I understand there will always be alteration to do but understand that sometimes issues jsut cant be fixed.

Canali

Pal Zileri

Specific areas of note for me are the lapel area (seems to be the biggest issue for me, I tend to stand erect), lower/mid back and shoulders.

Thanks for any advise you can give!

rjc149

Reaction score
I have pretty similar dimensions to you, and have the same issues with OTR jacket lapels not sitting.

I think the jacket on top looks a little snug. The bottom looks better. Be careful about the trousers being too slim if you're beefier up top.

PaleRabbit8725

Reaction score
I have pretty similar dimensions to you, and have the same issues with OTR jacket lapels not sitting.

I think the jacket on top looks a little snug. The bottom looks better. Be careful about the trousers being too slim if you're beefier up top.

The Top one definitely has a slimmer cut in the trouser from hip to ankle. Interestingly enough the jacket it wider in the waist than the bottom one which has a more roomy trouser. I'd definitely need some tapering done.

rjc149

Reaction score
The Top one definitely has a slimmer cut in the trouser from hip to ankle. Interestingly enough the jacket it wider in the waist than the bottom one which has a more roomy trouser. I'd definitely need some tapering done.
The bottom photo is darker, so it's harder to see if, or where, the fabric is pulling. The lapel does gape a bit, which means it's a little snug. Overall, however, I think it fits better -- the Canali's jacket arms look a little too tight.

The Canali's trousers are also much too slim and tapered for a suit trouser, in my opinion, as I don't think the hem should ever potentially get caught on the tongue of your shoe -- that means the opening is too small. But this is a stylistic preference, you may very well prefer the more "Euro" look of very slim suit trousers. It's a young man's suit, but young men inevitably outgrow their young man suits. Keep that in mind, if you plan to hang on to this suit.

As I mentioned, I have a similar build as you, and I've had the exact same lapel issues. Most of my suits are bespoke. If this suit is being purchased both as an investment and for posterity's sake, may I suggest having something made for you?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads