• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things that are pissing you off- Food & Drink Edition

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
not really a BBQ fanatic because I grew up with vegetarian parents and so I never had BBQ until I was like 16, so I can't be of much help I guess. As a high schooler in that area, I worked at a steak house, nothing of note really, but we had a wood-fired grill in the middle of the dining room floor, and a huge smoker out back, and brisket was really popular. Half the people came in for steaks and half came in for BBQ, and beef was definitely on the menu. Cutting the fat off those F***ers was pretty gross, but fascinatingly fun too.
It's too bad you can't swing up to Kansas City and take I70 to St. Louis on out, because I know KC has some notable BBQ that would be worth the detour, at least 3 or 4 famous spots.

I'll check egullet or something for recs. Maybe they'll have something. I really want some brisket. I'll make it to KC sometime.
Originally Posted by samus
Also Kwilk - let us (me) know if you find anything especially good around Amarillo. Thanks!

Well, we stopped at that steakhouse famous for the 72 oz steak challenge. The food wasn't bad. The steak wasn't the best quality but it was cooked well. I had a hard time finishing my 8 oz sirloin and looked at the little platform and saw a guy absolutely demolishing 4.5 lbs of steak and felt nauseous.

samus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Well, we stopped at that steakhouse famous for the 72 oz steak challenge. The food wasn't bad. The steak wasn't the best quality but it was cooked well. I had a hard time finishing my 8 oz sirloin and looked at the little platform and saw a guy absolutely demolishing 4.5 lbs of steak and felt nauseous.

Hah - I've been having an internal debate over whether my fellow drivers and I should try that, but yeah. I doubt it. Especially since I found out they put you up on that stage thing.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
i suppose this is the second time i'm complaining about the price of something which may be in bad form... but i feel justified in being pissed off about a 4$ glass of bordens milk, or a 3$ cup of folgers coffee.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe this is just an Atlanta thing but does seemingly every East or South East Asian restaurant have to have sushi? There are some absurd restaurants here that have sushi menus.

which brings me to another point, the amateur critics in Atlanta can go to hell. It is as if they've seen Top Chef/Iron Chef/Some cooking show like that so they know automatically what should happen in a restaurant and that they are some gourmand or something even though this is the first time they've left Romano's Macaroni Grill or Copeland's or some such bullshit.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
which brings me to another point, the amateur critics in Atlanta can go to hell. It is as if they've seen Top Chef/Iron Chef/Some cooking show like that so they know automatically what should happen in a restaurant and that they are some gourmand or something even though this is the first time they've left Romano's Macaroni Grill or Copeland's or some such bullshit.
Hell yes. A hearty +1.

Ahem....
Brisket is good. Look I like "BBQ beef ribs" I just don't think they should be called "BBQ".

BBQ is pork, sometimes chicken.

Beef BBQ. NVM I just devoured some BBQ beef ribs and they were good but **** me keep that bullshit ass form of "BBQ" in Texas where it can wallow around with whatever else bullshit roams that state.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe this is just an Atlanta thing but does seemingly every East or South East Asian restaurant have to have sushi? There are some absurd restaurants here that have sushi menus.

I don't think you know what gourmand means.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson

The Big Texan. I stopped by there a few years back with my dad on my way back from New Orleans. He told me that years back some semi famous wrestler who I forget was in the stall next to him, and finished two of those 72 oz steak challenges in one sitting.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday night I made the mistake of going to the Chicago Chop House. I ordered the dry-aged Kobe "tomahawk" ribeye and my fiancee ordered the Oscar-style filet.

First, they brought me the wrong entree - the waitress set before me a plain filet. Back went both steaks. Twenty minutes later we get our food - my fiancee's filet looked like it had been put under a heat lamp in the intervening time, so I am certain that they didn't make her a new entree. Meanwhile, my "Kobe" ribeye wasn't done correctly - I ordered medium rare and half the steak was medium, and also the steak was chewy not "buttery". While I was tempted to send the meals back, the future-missus didn't want to wait any longer so we simply forged on.

After we paid, I mentioned the problem to the waitress and we received a dessert to take home.

A very expensive mistake on my part.

Apparently, the "Kobe" served at the Chop House is from an outfit in Texas and thus is not "real" Kobe - I figured as much.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOU! I know I have warned against the evils of the Chicago Chop House many times in this forvm, and I thought we had actually discussed it at some point. Sorry you had to deal with that... when you could have eaten at David Burke's
frown.gif

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
LOU! I know I have warned against the evils of the Chicago Chop House many times in this forvm, and I thought we had actually discussed it at some point. Sorry you had to deal with that... when you could have eaten at David Burke's
frown.gif

We ended up paying more than what we would have paid at Burke's! My so-called Kobe ribeye alone was $109 with no sides.
ffffuuuu.gif

I completely blanked on your warnings about the Chop House.
mad.gif

I should have listened to you, bubbie.
frown.gif

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ld111134
We ended up paying more than what we would have paid at Burke's! My so-called Kobe ribeye alone was $109 with no sides.
ffffuuuu.gif

Holy ****.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's rough.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Incidentally, I had a "free" dinner at the Jack Binion's steakhouse in at the Horseshoe in Hammond a few weeks ago - was great for the price (although I lost a few hundred gambling because my friend is an a$$hole and wouldn't leave while I was up like I wanted to - clearly his fault that I gambled after that) .. and I would probably have enjoyed it for retail if I had to pay - they had a bunch of domestic and imported waygu on the menu, although I stuck to dry aged.. I'd compare it to Cap Grill for price and quality... but if you can get the freebee - go for it!

SeanH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Does anyone get excited looking at this?

I do, though he seems to be missing something. How could anybody go to Bryant's and not get fries?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ld111134
ffffuuuu.gif

I've never gone to a 'steakhouse' per se. Is this what one should expect to be charged somewhere like Smith and Wollensky's or a Mortons/Ruth Chris, et al? Can one ever (in the US) get actual Japanese Kobe?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads