1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things that are pissing you off- Food & Drink Edition

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 25, 2010.

1. ld111134

ld111134 Senior member

usually they use a construction such as "american-style kobe".

Not here - the Kobe entrees (and other dishes) were on a separate "specials" card, not on the main menu.

Huntsman, the Violet Hour is a good call and a favorite in our neighborhood.

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

One thing that is pissing me off is the opening of pizza/salad places all over Kansas City, and also the explosion of gourmet burger joints, 5 guys, smashburger, blanc burger, i feel like everywhere in south kansas city you can only get burgers or chinese food.

This should not be pissing you off, because you guys in KC only ever had Cheesecake Factory and P.F. Chang's, and Fuddrucker's as the outliers, to begin with. The shining gems of KC are obviously BBQ, and Vietnamese food, if you're into it, and there's no shortage of either. Really good Mexican food exists, I'm sure, but I've never felt compelled to hang around KC long enough to discover it.

3. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    actually, i'm not sure if it's still there, but i seem to recall eating at a lidia bastianich restaurant in kc, too. and let's not forget fried chicken!

4. Cordwinder

Cordwinder Senior member

I've never gone to a 'steakhouse' per se. Is this what one should expect to be charged somewhere like Smith and Wollensky's or a Mortons/Ruth Chris, et al?

Can one ever (in the US) get actual Japanese Kobe?

Just fly out here.
    Have your beef, experience new culture and leave satisfied you had real Kobe Beef in Japan.

5. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Chicago, somehow, always slips through my travels. Have never been.
    ~ H

Whenever you make it there you'll enjoy it, greatly. Terrific city.

6. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

7. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Sometimes you just have to tell people you can't acommodate them and move on. Yea, you want to serve everyone, but when one customer sends the entire kitchen staff running in opposite directions trying to take care of their ridiculous requests you need to draw a line.

8. Kyoung05

Kyoung05 Senior member

It pisses me off when people try so hard to mask the taste of alcohol. It always seems like somone is trying to invent new ways to make alcohlic drinks taste like they're non-alcoholic. Look, you dont't want to taste the liquor? Order a fucking soda.

9. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

usually they use a construction such as "american-style kobe".

I've seen that exact language. I resist the urge to tell them they have it backwards.

10. robin

robin Senior member

Baking is brutal. make one small mistake and your entire cake/pastry/tart is ruined.

It also probably doesn't help that I'm trying to do dessert recipes out of keller's books while having a few drinks.

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Ugh this is really lame. My wine class is making me write a menu pairing for osso bucco. I have to have beer, wine, and spirit pairings. Wine pairings for osso bucco are perhaps the simplest thing in the world. And beer is easy enough too. But spirits? I mean really. Who The F drinks spirits with serious food? WHO>?! Nobody.

12. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Who The F drinks spirits with serious food? WHO>?! Nobody.

a post osso bucco glass of Nardini or Sassicaia grappa sounds quite nice.

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

a post osso bucco glass of Nardini or Sassicaia grappa sounds quite nice.

As an after dinner libation it sounds absolutely perfect. But this is supposed to pair with the food, i.e. being poured as the food is delivered. Which is hella lame.
    I'm going to go with Grappa anyway, because it seems to make the most sense to me. But I think spirit pairing WITH food is generally a major failure.

14. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Dare: say appletini.

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

As an after dinner libation it sounds absolutely perfect. But this is supposed to pair with the food, i.e. being poured as the food is delivered. Which is hella lame.
    I'm going to go with Grappa anyway, because it seems to make the most sense to me. But I think spirit pairing WITH food is generally a major failure.

What wine class are you taking? Spirits with food is nice. What goes well with truffle oil fries? Hangar One Vodka?

16. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

What wine class are you taking? Spirits with food is nice. What goes well with truffle oil fries? Hangar One Vodka?
    Wine and Beverage Management. What spirits are nice with food?
    Don't say Calvados or Armagnac.
    And hey dick, I have a job interview at a REAL restaurant tomorrow. I don't think they do truffle oil fries. But I might be able to convince them to start.

[​IMG] I'll have to ask if cocktails are allowed.

17. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Wine and Beverage Management. What spirits are nice with food?
    Don't say Calvados or Armagnac.
    And hey dick, I have a job interview at a REAL restaurant tomorrow. I don't think they do truffle oil fries. But I might be able to convince them to start.

I just told you. I will have a shot of Hangar One with my truffle oil fries, thank you.

18. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

Screw that. Jagerbombs would compliment the meat very nicely.

19. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

I once paired a manhattan with mac and cheese. I thought they went pretty well together, actually.

20. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I just told you. I will have a shot of Hangar One with my truffle oil fries, thank you.

You, my friend, are an enigma.