1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things that are pissing you off- Food & Drink Edition

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 25, 2010.

1. sonick

sonick Senior member

Friend just sent me this message:

>> i had this thing at the filet minon place
    >> it's like mashed potatoes inside a filo puffed pastry the size of raviola...on top is a salmon mouse and red caviar...SO FUCKING GOOD

2. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

3. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Friend just sent me this message: >> i had this thing at the filet minon place >> it's like mashed potatoes inside a filo puffed pastry the size of raviola...on top is a salmon mouse and red caviar...SO FUCKING GOOD
    Was he at a Bar Mitzvah in 1982?

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

This both amused yet somehow ticked me off. So last night, great food, nice wine, great setting. It was a vintner's dinner. Two bubble headed girls/women obviously tipsy by the time first course arrives. Typically vapid, convinced everyone is watching them. Chef stops by our table to chat with me. After several minutes, they call to him across the dining room, to come over so they can ask a question. In a loud, shrill voice, "We were just wondering what this fish is?" She was holding up, in her fingers, one of the perfectly seared scallops that Chef had just talked about to the entire room. [​IMG]

5. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

^ what a bunch of trollops.

6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I spent about 90 minutes first thing this morning cutting habaneros for various preparations.
    My hands were double-gloved.
    Didn't do a damn thing.
    I wash my hands on average 30 times a day in an average shift. I've washed them about 50 times today, and it won't stop burning. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

I spent about 90 minutes first thing this morning dry-rubbing my deli meat for various preparations.
    Didn't do a damn thing.
    I wash my hands on average 30 times a day in an average shift. I've washed them about 50 times today, and it won't stop burning. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Soak them in milk, K.

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

This both amused yet somehow ticked me off. So last night, great food, nice wine, great setting. It was a vintner's dinner. Two bubble headed girls/women obviously tipsy by the time first course arrives. Typically vapid, convinced everyone is watching them. Chef stops by our table to chat with me. After several minutes, they call to him across the dining room, to come over so they can ask a question. In a loud, shrill voice, "We were just wondering what this fish is?" She was holding up, in her fingers, one of the perfectly seared scallops that Chef had just talked about to the entire room. [​IMG]
    How were their boobies?

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

How were their boobies?

As far as I could tell, they looked like scallops.

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

As far as I could tell, they looked like scallops.

That is much more offensive than not knowing about food.

12. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

I spent about 90 minutes first thing this morning cutting habaneros for various preparations.
    Didn't do a damn thing.

I cut up habaneros this past Sunday. Wasn't thinking and accidentally rubbed my nose vigorously because got some random dust in it. Shit burned like a motherfucker for hours and Monday my hands burned for a good six hours.

13. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

That is much more offensive than not knowing about food.
    Scallops >>>> Flounder

14. tdangio

tdangio Senior member

People who argue that a fillet is the best cut of beef. I counter that, no, the ribeye is superior as it has much more flavor and is just as tender. They come back with, the ribeye is just a bunch of fat, so you're wasting a lot of money on fat. Yes the ribeye is marbled, the fat is where the flavor is. Well, the fillet must be the best cut, because it's the most expensive. Logic fail [​IMG]

After the argument we get to lunch at a seafood place and the guy orders a fillet medium-well.

15. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Blah blah................. Well, the fillet must be the best cut, because it's the most expensive. Logic fail [​IMG]

After the argument we get to lunch at a seafood place and the guy orders a fillet medium-well.

Just to tie this whole thread back to Style,

how is this argument different from the clothing argument, highly regarded and held dear here, that the likes of Kiton are "BEST"?

16. Milpool

Milpool Senior member

Didn't do a damn thing.

What kind of gloves? Nitrile would be my first choice.

17. tdangio

tdangio Senior member

Just to tie this whole thread back to Style,

how is this argument different from the clothing argument, highly regarded and held dear here, that the likes of Kiton are "BEST"?

It's not, and I think it's safe to say that pretty much any argument of "X is the best because it's the most expensive" is a fundamental failure in logic.

18. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I spent about 90 minutes first thing this morning cutting habaneros for various preparations. My hands were double-gloved. Didn't do a damn thing. I wash my hands on average 30 times a day in an average shift. I've washed them about 50 times today, and it won't stop burning. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    No wonder Lish is playing hard to get!

19. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

A man cannot possibly be prepared for a 500 cover Wednesday. [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. OldSchoolCharm

OldSchoolCharm Senior member

I cut up habaneros this past Sunday. Wasn't thinking and accidentally rubbed my nose vigorously because got some random dust in it. Shit burned like a motherfucker for hours and Monday my hands burned for a good six hours.

only way to get rid of the burn is to eat the pepper. by the time that stops burning so will the other spots.