• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tan in a Bottle?

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
I visited my dermotologist yesterday and got an earful about the terrors of the sun. No tan is a good tan she says. If you want color, buy a bottle of tanning solution.

Anyone ever try this? I don't want to look orange. But then again, I don't want to be pasty white or become a victim of skin cancer either.

Basically, I need to decide if this is really a viable option.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of my gayest dreams is to be so rich that I can afford one of NYC's premium spray tanning professionals to spray me every few days, and to be able to afford to take them on the road with me when I travel. I look a lot better tan but my mother has had some minor skin cancer issues and I don't want to take any health chances. I also don't want to look like a frog when I am 37.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends on your complexion. If you're yellow to olive skinned, but just pale, you can you the light stuff and not look overly orange. It works a bit better if you've already got some color (2 days at the beach sort of look). If you're pink/white then it'll look super orange.

youdee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
I visited my dermotologist yesterday and got an earful about the terrors of the sun. No tan is a good tan she says. If you want color, buy a bottle of tanning solution.

Anyone ever try this? I don't want to look orange. But then again, I don't want to be pasty white or become a victim of skin cancer either.

Basically, I need to decide if this is really a viable option.

She's right about the tanning thing. I think your best bet, as a beginner, would be a gradual tanning lotion. They're really easy to apply (just like a body moisturiser) and they gradually build up colour with daily use - just as a natural tan would build up. After about 7 to 10 days of use your skin picks up a nice tanned colour and then you just need to reapply once or twice a week to keep it that way.

It may not be instant but you get great control over the colour, it looks natural and it's easy to apply and maintain.

Jergen's and Johnson's both do great ones, go for the formula that says 'For Fair Skin' on it. I think I might write another post about them soon. St Tropez Mousse is also an easy one to use but only when you're a bit more confident with self tanners.

You can read my post about self tanning here, I cover most of the basics you need to know.

I think the best tip I can give you is to always apply less than you think you need. It's easy to add more product later but a ***** to take any off.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
My dermatologist told me tanning is fine, burning is bad. Just do whatever it takes not to get burned.

If the sun were really that dangerous the human race would have died off a long time ago.

Moderate sun exposure if OK for most people. Just take it in small doses.

uvmboi13

Reaction score
Just make sure everything is even or else...
burnt_to_a_crisp.jpg

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youdee
She's right about the tanning thing. I think your best bet, as a beginner, would be a gradual tanning lotion. They're really easy to apply (just like a body moisturiser) and they gradually build up colour with daily use - just as a natural tan would build up. After about 7 to 10 days of use your skin picks up a nice tanned colour and then you just need to reapply once or twice a week to keep it that way.

It may not be instant but you get great control over the colour, it looks natural and it's easy to apply and maintain.

Jergen's and Johnson's both do great ones, go for the formula that says 'For Fair Skin' on it. I think I might write another post about them soon. St Tropez Mousse is also an easy one to use but only when you're a bit more confident with self tanners.

You can read my post about self tanning here, I cover most of the basics you need to know.

I think the best tip I can give you is to always apply less than you think you need. It's easy to add more product later but a ***** to take any off.

Wow, can this be the most helpful commercial poster ever? I think so.

Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
If the sun were really that dangerous the human race would have died off a long time ago.

Logic fail.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try Clarins Auto-Bronzant Visage Self Tanning Gel for 2-3 days. Any more than that and you will be looking pretty stupid. You know, like an extra from Jersey Shore. (it is just for the face, neck area)

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You only turn orange if you severely overboard. I fake tan my face, neck, and upper arms every Sunday night since I'm the most social early in the week. I do it again the morning if I have to speak publicly, or have an interview. If you ever happen to over do it, just exfoliate.

I would be sheet white otherwise. I stay inside all the time and am pretty nocturnal.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uvmboi13
Just make sure everything is even or else...

burnt_to_a_crisp.jpg

Wow, it happened to me when I was a kid tons of times, even I look as that guy. funny, but risky

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Won´t this product age your skin ?

I look 7 years younger thanks to not seeing the sun in months for ages. I am a nightly person.

Which one is better L'Oreal Sublime Glow Daily Moisturiser or the Biotherm one?

I am of the most caucasian white possible, so much that I was called snowwhite ,milky white and similars on my childood.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is this obsession with tanning? You Americans are fucked up. Quit trying to be blatino and embrace your pasty European roots.

Yimmy1234

Reaction score
Originally Posted by youdee

What do you think of all the parabens in these sunless tanning products?

youdee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yimmy1234
What do you think of all the parabens in these sunless tanning products?

Firstly I think it would take a LOT of parabens to cause any ill effect to the body, even then it's highly unlikely - there are no studies that show parabens to actively cause any physical damage. In addition to that, we ingest far more parabens in our food than we could absorb through skincare in a lifetime. Relatively speaking, parabens in skincare are a drop in the ocean. It's a personal preference thing but from a purely scientific viewpoint? No harm at all.

Cosmetics companies and alarmist websites have jumped on the 'paraben free' thing as a marketing strategy, i'm more inclined to believe hard evidence.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads