• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

50K for a luxury/sport car or SUV – what to get?!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
It isn't clear what you mean by all other things being equal. To me, it means you are placing two identical cars on identical road surfaces, and the only thing you're changing is the drive system, in which case what you say is false. Consider 3 cases:

1. The trivial one: your front tires have a smaller contact patch than the rears.

2. Your rear tires are on ice, and your front tires are on dry asphalt. Consider the reverse too.

3. One side of your car is on ice while the other side is on dry asphalt.

In none of those cases will AWD have 100 percent more traction than 2WD. In all cases, your traction is limited by your tires.

What do I mean by all others things being equal?
rolleyes.gif

You've missed your calling, which is clearly experiment design.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The engine creates the rotational force "torque" to move the vehicle. The counter force "traction" allows torque to create forward movement.

If the counter force traction is less than the amount of torque created by the driver's right foot - the wheels break lose and spin. Forward movement will cease.

If two wheels are used to bring torque and traction together the available traction at the two wheels will limit the amount of torque than can be applied.

Since heavy trucks will need more torque to be moved, they sometimes require more traction than 2 wheels can provide.

That lead to the creation of 4WD. Torque is now sent to 2 additional wheels, which provide 100% more traction. 100% more torque can be applied without slipping and spinning wheels.
This is a pretty simplistic view of vehicle traction, and in some cases wrong.

Trucks too heavy for the available traction? Your engine will stall first.

Torque greater than available traction leading to wheelspin and cessation of forward movement? Only when a car is standing still and trying to drive in a straight line.

100 percent increase in torque? Not really true as shown by the 3 examples I posted earlier.

Instead of relying on information sources with unknown authority, why not consider the situation with basic physical principles in mind, and see if the claims still make sense?

--Andre

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y

Instead of relying on information sources with unknown authority, why not consider the situation with basic physical principles in mind, and see if the claims still make sense?

--Andre

Funny that a fast Google yielded these two "unknown authority" pages that just so happened to say exactly what I was saying. Let's set aside physics and consider the probability theory involved with those odds!

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Funny that a fast Google yielded these two "unknown authority" pages that just so happened to say exactly what I was saying. Let's set aside physics and consider the probability theory involved with those odds!

If you want to ignore the physics, then we have no common ground for discussion.

--Andre

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Google "traction circle" and read something on the underlying physics of vehicle dynamics rather than some popularized and dumbed-down explanation of it.

GuP

Reaction score
Just an update : I really like the new AUDI S4 that will debut soon!

I live with my fam and my dad thinks it is wicked silly to spend that much money on a car if it's not a Benz. Call it old school or call it silly, but in his eyes the benz is a status symbol like none other. Maybe I ought to just get the E350 (or rather E550 if I can afford to) in 4matic....

culture

Reaction score
The difference between AWD & RWD in the winter is night and day.

That said, as long as youre not an idiot you can drive most cars in even heavy snow. I drove an Infiniti G37 RWD through a couple winters north of Toronto with a good pair of snows and it was fine. It didnt handle as well as my previous Jaguar XType in the winter, but it was fine.

Also, for the guy who said A4s are no good: I've had the opposite experience. I have a 2004 A4 with 250k and a 2010 A4 and the only problem ive had with either was the AC going on the 2004 last summer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads