1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

50K for a luxury/sport car or SUV – what to get?!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by GuP, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

It isn't clear what you mean by all other things being equal. To me, it means you are placing two identical cars on identical road surfaces, and the only thing you're changing is the drive system, in which case what you say is false. Consider 3 cases:

1. The trivial one: your front tires have a smaller contact patch than the rears.

2. Your rear tires are on ice, and your front tires are on dry asphalt. Consider the reverse too.

3. One side of your car is on ice while the other side is on dry asphalt.

In none of those cases will AWD have 100 percent more traction than 2WD. In all cases, your traction is limited by your tires.

What do I mean by all others things being equal? [​IMG]

You've missed your calling, which is clearly experiment design.

2. A Y

A Y Senior member

This is a pretty simplistic view of vehicle traction, and in some cases wrong.

Trucks too heavy for the available traction? Your engine will stall first.

Torque greater than available traction leading to wheelspin and cessation of forward movement? Only when a car is standing still and trying to drive in a straight line.

100 percent increase in torque? Not really true as shown by the 3 examples I posted earlier.

Instead of relying on information sources with unknown authority, why not consider the situation with basic physical principles in mind, and see if the claims still make sense?

--Andre

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Instead of relying on information sources with unknown authority, why not consider the situation with basic physical principles in mind, and see if the claims still make sense?

--Andre

Funny that a fast Google yielded these two "unknown authority" pages that just so happened to say exactly what I was saying. Let's set aside physics and consider the probability theory involved with those odds!

4. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

................. --Andre
    [​IMG] It sounds like you're having a case of the [​IMG] .

5. A Y

A Y Senior member

Funny that a fast Google yielded these two "unknown authority" pages that just so happened to say exactly what I was saying. Let's set aside physics and consider the probability theory involved with those odds!

If you want to ignore the physics, then we have no common ground for discussion.

--Andre

6. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Google "traction circle" and read something on the underlying physics of vehicle dynamics rather than some popularized and dumbed-down explanation of it.

7. stormin10

stormin10 Senior member

Why are you on the internet, 'boarding school' boy? Your weekend pass should be revoked.

What does that even mean?

8. GuP

GuP Senior member

Just an update : I really like the new AUDI S4 that will debut soon!

I live with my fam and my dad thinks it is wicked silly to spend that much money on a car if it's not a Benz. Call it old school or call it silly, but in his eyes the benz is a status symbol like none other. Maybe I ought to just get the E350 (or rather E550 if I can afford to) in 4matic....

9. username79

username79 Senior member

Maybe I ought to just get the E350 in 4matic....

Yes, try to get it in that baby blue shade for the ultimate in status symbolism.

10. culture

culture Senior member

The difference between AWD & RWD in the winter is night and day.

That said, as long as youre not an idiot you can drive most cars in even heavy snow. I drove an Infiniti G37 RWD through a couple winters north of Toronto with a good pair of snows and it was fine. It didnt handle as well as my previous Jaguar XType in the winter, but it was fine.

Also, for the guy who said A4s are no good: I've had the opposite experience. I have a 2004 A4 with 250k and a 2010 A4 and the only problem ive had with either was the AC going on the 2004 last summer.