• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Results of a healthy diet experiment and cost

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
At least the people I've worked for, all french, mind you, and quite enormous in stature (if that matters), are not afraid to use it and quite enjoy it. I can also name several chefs who cook with it often. I mean, watch any show with Gordon Ramsey in it and I think you're libel to see a filet once every 3 or so episodes.

chefs will prepare whatever people want to buy. doesnt mean anything. few have the bravado and enough weight to their name to alienate their customers.

the famous "delmonico" steak is disputed in its true origin; it could bea few different cuts, none of which is from the tenderloin

peter luger showcases a porterhouse, not a filet mignon (yes, p.house has a side of tenderloin)

lobels will tell you that the tenderloin is more "tender", but rib eyes are more "flavorful". 9/10 people will tell you the same.

your personal tastes are just that: "yours". but it doesnt change the consensus. you may enjoy taittinger, and noone would tell you you couldnt, or that youre wrong, but they also wouldnt say its better than krug

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
chefs will prepare whatever people want to buy. doesnt mean anything. few have the bravado and enough weight to their name to alienate their customers.

the famous "delmonico" steak is disputed in its true origin; it could bea few different cuts, none of which is from the tenderloin

peter luger showcases a porterhouse, not a filet mignon (yes, p.house has a side of tenderloin)

lobels will tell you that the tenderloin is more "tender", but rib eyes are more "flavorful". 9/10 people will tell you the same.

your personal tastes are just that: "yours". but it doesnt change the consensus. you may enjoy taittinger, and noone would tell you you couldnt, or that youre wrong, but they also wouldnt say its better than krug

the fact that you just invoked those restaurants showed that we are in fact discussing incredibly different levels of standards and expectations.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the fact that you just invoked those restaurants showed that we are in fact discussing incredibly different levels of standards and expectations.

Sometimes, I love you bro.
laugh.gif

Anyway, 900/mo for food is definitely pricey.

You can eat healthy for a tiny fraction of that. I've been eating a lot of salad lately. Grilled chicken breast topped with minced terragon and chives and a lemon/evoo dressing is delicious and it costs very little to make. Throw in some blended vegetable (leek, butternut squash, broccoli,etc) soups etc and you'll be keeping calories in line and eating stuff that tastes a lot better for very little money.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ehh... again I really must question exactly which chefs you're referring to and what kind of circles you're operating in.

At least the people I've worked for, all french, mind you, and quite enormous in stature (if that matters), are not afraid to use it and quite enjoy it. I can also name several chefs who cook with it often. I mean, watch any show with Gordon Ramsey in it and I think you're libel to see a filet once every 3 or so episodes.

In any case, eat whatever the hell you want. My tastes as far as a rare piece of meat runs leaner than most people's, and I know that. I can't say I'm the biggest steak fan ever either, but then again most steak fans are quite big, so I'd also not be that way. I've extolled my love of Bison, which I'm actually far more likely to buy than beef at this point. It has a sort of meaty spice to it that I really enjoy and of course, it is quite healthy. Keep in mind I eat duck probably twice a week, some type of braised lamb/pork at least once a week, foie, and at least 2 deserts, so I'm not health freak.

You might check out www.bltsteak.com for a combination of American Steak House/French Chef. I'm a big braised meat guy too, and chefs love it when a customer orders a braised dish. They know that person appreciates taking a cheap cut and making it great. When I eat steak, though, I like a big honkin piece of steak and I like eating it in a great steakhouse with the high temp broilers needed to cook a great steak. Filet rarely comes bigger than 16 oz. (and 12 oz. is even more common), and that simply isn't enough for me. I don't eat like that often, though, and I'm a pretty trim guy. I'd be the first guy to admit that eating a 22-oz ribeye three times a week is a sure-fire way to die early.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newo
$32/day is rough, on KD I used to pull the $3 a day diet.

Yeah, anyone can eat Top Ramen and suck off hobos every day for protein, but that wasn't the point.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
You might check out www.bltsteak.com for a combination of American Steak House/French Chef. I'm a big braised meat guy too, and chefs love it when a customer orders a braised dish. They know that person appreciates taking a cheap cut and making it great. When I eat steak, though, I like a big honkin piece of steak and I like eating it in a great steakhouse with the high temp broilers needed to cook a great steak. Filet rarely comes bigger than 16 oz. (and 12 oz. is even more common), and that simply isn't enough for me. I don't eat like that often, though, and I'm a pretty trim guy. I'd be the first guy to admit that eating a 22-oz ribeye three times a week is a sure-fire way to die early.

..... are you sure that you're a chef?.....

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, he cooked his way through textbooks:
Originally Posted by Grayland
I have an AOS in Culinary Arts, a BS in Food Service Management, and a Masters in Hospitality Management. I put 15 years into high-end restaurants and I've been a chef-instructor for the past 15. In addition, I'm a certified chef with the American Culinary Federation.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Yes, he cooked his way through textbooks:

I'm nowhere near the Internet food heroes you guys are. I've only made my living doing it for 30 years.

Looks like you have quite a bit of experience...

Originally Posted by username79
I'm on-site near L'Academie de Cuisine quite a bit these days and due to all the fascinating cooking threads lately it sparked my interest.

I noticed that they have a set of three classes -- beginner, intermediate, and advanced. The sum of three is quite reasonable and the hours are convenient but it looks like only three sessions in total. There is a 20 week "Culinary Techniques 101" course which seems more in line with the experiences in other threads here, but the problem is my lack of experience.

I would love to learn how to cook, but my current experience level is microwaving stuff from Trader Joes, making sandwiches, making some chili a few times a year, and buying nice looking knives on deep discount at Tj Maxx when I come across them.

So, would taking the amateur 101 track at L'Academie be a good way to learn or will it be way too far over my head and/or a waste of time?

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Apparently not at your level...

I was just going to quickly marinate some chicken last night for dinner. I made the marinade and it has been sitting there since 6pm last night. It's now 8pm the next day, and I still haven't cooked it. Could it go another day?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ohhhhh the drama!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads