• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Thoughts on whether I'm fooling myself would be appreciated.
plain.gif

I think you're fooling yourself.
wink.gif

Seriously- I think there is a place for that belt but I don't like it against any single item you are wearing and not as a whole either
fight[1].gif

And I don't think it should default to the obvious "summery" pairing either, but each element here strikes me as too formal or wrong material contrast, especially the jeans.

Dr. Grey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IST66
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/ist66/4-10.jpg[/I]

This is real FANTASTIC!!![IMG]https://www.styleforum.net/images/smilies/bigstar[1].gif
bigstar[1].gif
bigstar[1].gif

ajv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gregaz
Pardon the unintended tribute in the closeup shot ...

DSC_3508.jpg

DSC_3504.jpg

Wow.......i am left wordless

Originally Posted by IST66
4-10.jpg

1-22.jpg

Certainly one of your best and I do like the matchy matchy......

Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Thanks for the kind words for yesterday's fit. Here's today's...

14jxnq9.jpg

6thh02.jpg

b6awx1.jpg

34ngn51.jpg

Woolrich shirt jacket
JCrew button-down shirt
GAP selvedge jeans
RL cordovan boots

Very sharp casual look.....

Originally Posted by Phat Guido
Sheesh - RAIN.. 2 days of HEAT & HUMIDITY.. HOME TIME..
WWIWinSINDay2-4.jpg

Perfect as always..........

I liked those so much I wanted to requote.
All of you good Sirs are elevating the game so much, that a small timer like me thinks he should not dare posting pictures anymore.

Adrian

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I don't want my belt/shoes/leather accessories to match exactly in color and texture because to me that reeks of anal retentiveness. It's fundamentally the same argument for NOT matching the ties and pocketsquare.

Just to clarify, by not matching I DO NOT mean black belt/brown shoes...etc. I personally go for similar shades of color. I do try to vary the texture though (suede with non-suede, smooth leather with linen texture..etc)

The "circle-jerk" comment refers to the automatic pile-on of compliments and the INTOLERANCE of any criticism.
plain.gif

The general lack of any dissenting opinions makes WAYWRN quite boring recently.

Well - then that sounds like you are going out of your way to not match - which i find more affected than matching. Why go the extra effort to find a belt in a "slightly" different shade just to prove you are not anal retentive/OCD? I hear this comment every now and then and it baffles me. I always learnt to dress with matching belt and shoes ... and although a slight variation in color is allowed, it should be the exception and not the norm.

Also, you must not be familiar with WAYWRN. Silence typically is the form of criticism here. In general ... if something is average, slightly bad or just enh people dont quote or talk about it ... if something is REALLY nice, people complement it effusively ... and if something sucks big time people rip it to shreds. And if something sucks or isnt as great as the complement it is receiving ... someone usually steps up and points that out.

If you feel that there is not enough criticism here, then start sharing it, cos i know that is one of the main reasons i post here (and why i hope a lot of people are posting) ...

Also, your comments/criticisms will hold more weight if you actually post pictures to give people an idea of your sense of style

Edit - for example ... AJV just said PG's fit is perfect ... i totally disagree ... and i wont hesitate to point that out. PG is a great dresser, but that is nowhere near a perfect fit for him.

musicboohoo[1].gif

IST66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kappelan
O my goodness. Incredible. Fantastic. Especial shoes
worship.gif

Originally Posted by clarinetplayer
Beautiful belt.

Originally Posted by dr. locktopus
Holy ****!

IST, that looks unbelievably fantastic. So sleek!

Originally Posted by tshaw
Loving it all, guys!!!
T

Originally Posted by Cary Grant
One of your best, IST.

Originally Posted by Aaron01

That bag is brilliant!

Originally Posted by gregaz
Wow ... possibly your best ever. Love everything about it!
Who made the bag?

Originally Posted by niidawg3
Speechless ... Its fits like these that make a daily visit to SF so worth it.

worship.gif
worship.gif

Originally Posted by lee_44106
I like all of them except the matchy-matchyness of the belt/shoe/bag. I know it's a rule about the colors, but this is one rule I purposely break. I purposely mismatch the color and textures.

Originally Posted by srivats

IST's outfit is fantastic.

Originally Posted by Racing Green
Big time. I know it's completely subjective but I think IST is way out on his own on this thread.

Originally Posted by edmorel
nice colors but (only doing this to appease Lee's "no critical comments" in WAYWN poasts) the shirt collar is pretty bad, looks bad and cheap. I would suggest at least MTM shirts from one of the forum favorties and a bit more spread and the points a bit longer. The tie knot is affected by the bad shirt collar and the blue square/blue silk knot are too much blue on the navy jacket.

Originally Posted by Dr. Grey
This is real FANTASTIC!!!
bigstar[1].gif
bigstar[1].gif
bigstar[1].gif

Originally Posted by ajv
Certainly one of your best and I do like the matchy matchy......

Adrian

Thanks for your comments, kind words and comments, gentlemen!
worship.gif
smile.gif

It is a little unexpected for me. I have very attentively read your recommendations. They are very valuable to me.

Originally Posted by AndrewO
5-1.jpg

Sorry did'nt link properly. Great shoes. Who makes them?

Thank you! Alden Unlined Chukka Boot
Originally Posted by kgmessier
These pics haven't been quoted nearly enough.

Total awesomeness magic. Deets on everything, including the fern?

Cheers! SC and pants - Borelli, shirt - Finamore, Shoes - C&J, PS - Wong.
bigstar[1].gif

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IST, please find a good shirt maker and get shirts with spread collars, your shirts don't flatter you at all.

jobro

Reaction score
I think that IST66's picture with the four shots does make the light-brown out to be overwhelming, however the single, top to bottom, shot looks spot on.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
IST, please find a good shirt maker and get shirts with spread collars, your shirts don't flatter you at all.

I'm going to ask you the same as I asked Ed. Why? What specifically- examples of your ideal?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to ask you the same as I asked Ed. Why? What specifically- examples of your ideal?

I think the points of your shirt collar should be covered by your jacket, that is a better visual effect. In IST's case, not only the points are not covered, they look like pencil in the glass. I am not going to say anything about that huge knot, double FIH or whatever that is,it looks awful. Longer and more spread collar will look better, in my opinion.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4525987883_35272a81d3.jpg
4525988833_c2df38b2ea.jpg
4525989707_fe8698e810.jpg

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^ better collar on Trini, even though it is opened, a bit taller, longer point, a bit more tie space. Tastes would dictate whether you have a big spread or not, I am not partial to big spreads but IST's collar looks like a bargain basement shirt.
Ed- can you post pics of your "ideal" in this regard and who the makers are? I've seen many collars from some of the "accepted" brands here that look awful as a result of the way the shirt has been laundered and pressed. I guess my point is that I don't see anything "wrong" with IST's collar... nothing that grates me at any rate.
bad pic below but since I like to put myself up for criticism when I put up criticism : longer points, more tie space
1265984611.jpg

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
I think the points of your shirt collar should be covered by your jacket, that is a better visual effect.

So it is just your personal aesthetic preference for a spread collar...

Originally Posted by edmorel
^^

better collar on Trini, even though it is opened, a bit taller, longer point, a bit more tie space. Tastes would dictate whether you have a big spread or not, I am not partial to big spreads but IST's collar looks like a bargain basement shirt.

bad pic below but since I like to put myself up for criticism when I put up criticism :

longer points, more tie space

And so you would obviously hate a tab collar then... his is merely not a spread... I've seen similar simple point collars at Charvet... can't call those bargain basement.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And so you would obviously hate a tab collar then... his is merely not a spread... I've seen similar simple point collars at Charvet... can't call those bargain basement.

I don't like tab's but they are not the same thing is what is happening here. His tie knot as is as wide and as long as the collar/points. That is not a pleasing look to me, again, it;s not the spread so much as much as it is a question of tie space and collar point length

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics