• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

jemcgarvey

Reaction score
Am I limited as severely as it seems by my 16.5/38 size? I can't find any at H&K, and the other Jermyn street makers seem to offer the majority of their shirts only up to 35-36" sleeve length.

Must I resign myself to wearing the few styles available in 38" sleeve?

Thanks ahead...

parkwinesguy

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a newbie here today and have a question of my own. Please disregard the lack of decorum on how to post within this thread.....I recently purchased a pair of brown Mephisto Galdino wingtips. The leather is of a type that I don't know and so I'm not sure how to care for them. The closest descriptor I can give is 'oiled'. Can anyone identify what type leather it is and suggest care instructions?
Thank You In Advance,
Steve

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jemcgarvey
Am I limited as severely as it seems by my 16.5/38 size? I can't find any at H&K, and the other Jermyn street makers seem to offer the majority of their shirts only up to 35-36" sleeve length.

Must I resign myself to wearing the few styles available in 38" sleeve?

Thanks ahead...

Custom shirts, brother.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by parkwinesguy
Hello,
I'm a newbie here today and have a question of my own. Please disregard the lack of decorum on how to post within this thread.....I recently purchased a pair of brown Mephisto Galdino wingtips. The leather is of a type that I don't know and so I'm not sure how to care for them. The closest descriptor I can give is 'oiled'. Can anyone identify what type leather it is and suggest care instructions?
Thank You In Advance,
Steve

I'm not familiar with Mephisto shoes, but there is such a thing as oiled leather although it is usually used for hiking or work boots rather than dressier shoes. Given Mephisto's somewhat unique take on what constitutes attractive shoe design, I wouldn't be surprised if they did use oiled leather for a wingtip. If that's the case, you'll want to use a moisturizer/conditioner on them. A google search for "oiled leather care" will turn up lots of details.

Kazou

Reaction score
Originally Posted by parkwinesguy
Hello,
Thank You In Advance,
Steve

I don't think these shoes are oiled leather. They are most likely corrected grain and the "oily" look is the polish they have used. I would care for them with a shoe brush, shoe cream and shoe wax. As they are not really expensive shoes, you don't have to find expensive shoe care products. Stick with Kiwi and you'll be fine. As for how to take care of it, don't wear them everyday (shoes need to rest) give them a good brush and every once and a while, brush them, put on the cream or wax, let dry and using another brush, give it a solid brisk brushing to give it a polish. Repeat a few times. Hope this helps.

jayehmke

Reaction score
Should I grab a belt buckle from beltbuckle.com? They look pretty nice, but I wanted to get another opinion first. I was specifically looking at the designer buckles.

josh1233

Reaction score
Originally Posted by awuwish
What is a good website(s) for finding clothes as seen in movies. Specifically, I really liked JGL's wardrobe in 500 Days of Summer, but can't seem to find anywhere that has movie-related wardrobes specific to a particular movie.

If your talking reproductions, try magnoli clothiers. If you are talking the real thing, Sotheby's and Christie's

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by click here
Is a shoulder measurement for a size 38 jacket 17 inch across unusual? Is it a bit small for a usual size 38?
yes, somewhat. I'm a 36 and most are about 17, within a half inch bigger or smaller. 38's generally start around 17.5, so that sounds a bit narrow. if you don't want divots, might still work though.
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodkat
hey all this is my first post!
just wondering; whats the general consensus on doc martens?

more of a SW&D question. I think they're fine, it's a certain kind of look and there are lots of options in terms of colors and materials. Just be aware there's some history there that some people might not react well to (ie white laces, do some googling).
Originally Posted by awuwish
What is a good website(s) for finding clothes as seen in movies. Specifically, I really liked JGL's wardrobe in 500 Days of Summer, but can't seem to find anywhere that has movie-related wardrobes specific to a particular movie.
another thing I've done is googled around to try and find the costume/wardrobe designer. often there'll be some discussion about the brands they like to use.
Originally Posted by jemcgarvey
Am I limited as severely as it seems by my 16.5/38 size? I can't find any at H&K, and the other Jermyn street makers seem to offer the majority of their shirts only up to 35-36" sleeve length. Must I resign myself to wearing the few styles available in 38" sleeve? Thanks ahead...
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=125285
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=28165
Originally Posted by jayehmke
Should I grab a belt buckle from beltbuckle.com? They look pretty nice, but I wanted to get another opinion first. I was specifically looking at the designer buckles.
Respond to this to prove you're not just a spammer.

jayehmke

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Respond to this to prove you're not just a spammer.

I had a feeling I would get this kind of response. No
spam[1].gif
here, just an honest question.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jayehmke
I had a feeling I would get this kind of response. No
spam[1].gif
here, just an honest question.

ok, you understand why.
Personally not really the kind of stuff I wear but I guess they're alright. I'm not really sure what you're asking for... "would you order from them?" what do you mean?

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
It's not an uncommon thing to do, especially if one aspires to the Ivy or "Trad" aesthetic. Personally, I am not a fan.
Thanks for the feedback! I am at a new job and where suits everyday... my wardrobe isn't up to the task yet, and I am having to stretch beyond my comfort zone in combinations between shirts and ties. Helpful posts like yours are saving me stress and giving me confidence.

Thank you!

JD

Reaction score
Need options!!!

I have a - Dark grey suit with subtle blue lines (crossing not pinstripe)...

Any suggestions on a nice shirt tie combo (color wise?) I have some blue shirts, whites, a cream color.. and many patterned ties (no solid color ties)..

Thank you!

JD

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads