• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's the first, but it's the best I have seen.

jschlotz

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to tap the denim expertise on this forum. I have a couple specifications and am wondering if anyone here can recommend a brand/style based on those.

- straight leg
- dark raw/dry denim
- not easily faded
- heavier weight
- can be worn to work with suit jacket
- minimal/no arcuates
- no stacking (trouser cut)

Also, if anyone can recommend a website that does a good job on MTM jeans, please share.

-Thanks!

kaiserkarl

Reaction score
i have a pair of dunhill jeans in a blueish green color and a pair of carrera white jeans. am i all set? do i need to buy another pair?

riverrun

Reaction score
I need to get another pair of denim. Currently wear APC NS and like them - I might just get another pair but ideally something with a bit more interesting denim and possibly a bit more taper might be better, if I could find it. Only other raw denim I've tried is pure blue japan 005s, which I got bc the rough denim was so cool, but I almost never wear them bc the straight leg looks a bit flared even though its not and bc the top part is a bit too low and tight for me. Any recommendations on something not too far in cut from the NS (err on the side of more taper and no shorter rise bc I'm tall) but maybe a bit more unusual denim? I was thinking LVC but they seem too baggy / full. Something like these would be good I think if the rise were a bit longer.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I think that is the first vox denim picture I have liked

Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
I don't know if it's the first, but it's the best I have seen.

Coat's awesome. Jeans are too long. There are many better pictures of our Vox and Savior(TM).

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
14jxnq9.jpg

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for good raw summer denim in a slim-straight fit?

I also live in the bay area, so it's not exactly Florida. But the few pairs of good denim I have--Iron Heart 634s, RRL raw slim fits--can still get a bit toasty when I'm beating the hills during the warmer, sunny days in the city.

Cid

Reaction score
IIRC, LVC 201s are of a lighter weight denim and have been recommended for summer wear.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If anyone has any denim questions feel free to pm me.

I recommend a nice 8oz pima cotton like "AG" makes for summer time. Many brands use it.
I might even do something similar for spring 11.
I have a **** LOAD of 10oz denim in Italy waiting to be used once treated it will be softer like butter.

Best,
Mauro

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, I am going to get exactly one pair of jeans with no plan to get more, what's your recommendation? I wear mostly slim fit. Not very fashion forward, but not too conservative either.

Thanks gents

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Alright guys, I am going to get exactly one pair of jeans with no plan to get more, what's your recommendation? I wear mostly slim fit. Not very fashion forward, but not too conservative either.

Thanks gents

APC New Standards, done.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads