• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
I miss mine.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by NOBD
Spilt sauce on them?

Nope. 'Outgrew' them.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope. 'Outgrew' them.

Ah, I understand. I'm still waiting for that moment (at age 39).

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
APC New Standards, done.

Too skinny, too fashion oriented, too hip (at least to my taste). Prefer something that can be worn with a dress shirt, sport coat, pocket square, perforated bluchers...

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope. 'Outgrew' them.

Ah, I understand. I'm still waiting for that moment (at age 39).

No no - not in age. In waist.
blush.gif

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Too skinny, too fashion oriented, too hip (at least to my taste). Prefer something that can be worn with a dress shirt, sport coat, pocket square, perforated bluchers...

Seriously?

apcnewstandardfitpic.jpg

blush.gif

Ah, I didn't understand...

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
blush.gif

that was clear from the start.
laugh.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, I am going to get exactly one pair of jeans with no plan to get more, what's your recommendation? I wear mostly slim fit. Not very fashion forward, but not too conservative either.

Thanks gents

First of all, APCs are a blank slate. You can wear them in any number of ways - conservative to ultra hip.

If you want an alternative, something that you can wear with a sportsjacket (which I caution as being for expert use only) and a pocket square (which I say should be done only be grandmasters, and then only with utmost care), try out some Simon Miller Jeans, which are as minimal as you find.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, that was my impression after googling. Do you have more photos wearing them?

Now I understand... Just these with an overcoat:

20102201tot1.jpg
20102201tot2.jpg

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
First of all, APCs are a blank slate. You can wear them in any number of ways - conservative to ultra hip. If you want an alternative, something that you can wear with a sportsjacket (which I caution as being for expert use only) and a pocket square (which I say should be done only be grandmasters, and then only with utmost care), try out some Simon Miller Jeans, which are as minimal as you find.
Now I understand... Just these with an overcoat:
20102201tot1.jpg
20102201tot2.jpg

I see, way better than those pictures I found online. Will hit the store to see how they look on me. Thanks a lot gents.

518aata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am pretty clueless about jeans, so I thought I'd ask the experts.

I'm 52, and don't wear jeans out to dinner or clubs, etc. I wear them to my sons' soccer games, and other places where I might get my pants dirty. But I still want them to look good.

A year or so ago, I finally switched from grandpa jeans to 501s. It was at my wife's urging, and I'm glad I listened to her. I like the <$50 price. I also like the way they fit, except for the baggy legs. Should I have the 501s tapered, or is there a different brand (or another type of Levis) that fits similarly to the 501, is priced similarly, but has a more tapered leg? Thanks.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, the current 501 are not very baggy. where are they loose on you, all throughout the leg? Do you wear them loose in the waist as well?

518aata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Hmm, the current 501 are not very baggy. where are they loose on you, all throughout the leg? Do you wear them loose in the waist as well?

They fit me pretty well in the waist, seat and rise, but I have pretty skinny legs. Hence, I think they would look better if they were a bit slimmer through the legs, and if they tapered to a narrower opening at the ankle.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, I am going to get exactly one pair of jeans with no plan to get more, what's your recommendation? I wear mostly slim fit. Not very fashion forward, but not too conservative either.

Thanks gents

Do you have a budget? I would say Flat Head 1001, hemmed, remove pocket stitching...

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive been happy with my Uniqlos. Pretty cheap too. Very plain and you can definitely use them with sportcoats if that's your thing.

Rise is low to mid, which I prefer and think looks better on shorter people, so keep that in mind.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads