• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
I believe the 2011 GT still has the solid axle rear suspension. I wonder how the car will be like as a whole package. Usually cars that match or beat M3s on the track are too uncomfortable on the street, and cars that are as comfortable as the M3 on the street don't handle as well.
Yes. The Mustangs I have driven up to MY 2010 have been unrefined brutes with poor road manners. Nice numbers, yes, but a heap of **** on wheels otherwise. Each successive year of the "new" Mustang has struck me as an exercise in turd polishing. However, I've heard good things about the 2011 and Ford is on a roll these days.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patchmark
Weekend/Evenings - 1996 Porsche 993TT Aventurine Green

Wow. So many things right here.

worship.gif
worship.gif

TT.
worship.gif
worship.gif

Aventurine Green.
worship.gif
worship.gif

More pictures please.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
Track them and the M3 will kill the Mustang. If you equate performance with straight-line acceleration and top speed, sure, they match each other. But that's just one aspect of performance. Just watch Top Gear take the Shelby Mustang for a spin; the thing can barely stay on the pavement.

I think you're equating straight line acceleration. The 2010 GT's with the track pack were known to be pretty great handlers. With Ford deciding to up the ante, by throwing in the new Aluminum Coyote V8, I'm sure the car will be nothing short of fun to drive.

....The current Shelby's may make big dyno numbers, but unfortunately they're pretty heavy. In fact, I find them to be rather underwhelming when compared to what the numbers would suggest. I just let go of my 03' Cobra for a 2010 Maxima (needed the backseat), but V8 Mustangs still hold a certain place in my heart.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know why Ford hasn't decided to ditch the 5.4 in the Shelby. Sure they gave it an aluminum block but imagine if they supercharged or turbocharged the new 5.0 and stuck that in there instead. Still, losing 100+ pounds off the car's nose isn't a bad thing.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
I think you're equating straight line acceleration. The 2010 GT's with the track pack were known to be pretty great handlers. With Ford deciding to up the ante, by throwing in the new Aluminum Coyote V8, I'm sure the car will be nothing short of fun to drive.

....The current Shelby's may make big dyno numbers, but unfortunately they're pretty heavy. In fact, I find them to be rather underwhelming when compared to what the numbers would suggest. I just let go of my 03' Cobra for a 2010 Maxima (needed the backseat), but V8 Mustangs still hold a certain place in my heart.

From what I understand, the 2011 Mustang GT with track package is actually pretty competitive.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Something German.

I used to own an Italian car ... and was thinking about adding a British one. The owner of Britalia here in Berkeley offered: I could almost promise that you'd always have a car in operating condition.
That's when I went German.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisjustinparr
I don't know of anyone who cross-shops an M3 sports sedan with a Mustang GT muscle car.
Neither do I. Where did you read this? It's funny how people equate "car x performs as well as car y" with "car x will be cross-shopped with car y." I simply equate it to "car x will be able to keep up with smarmy douchebag in car y."

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alias
Neither do I. Where did you read this? It's funny how people equate "car x performs as well as car y" with "car x will be cross-shopped with car y."

I simply equate it to "car x will be able to keep up with smarmy douchebag in car y."

A RR Phantom Black from 0-60 mph in just 5.7s. Hyundai Genesis Coupe 0-60 in 5.69s.

Test results for the 2011 Mustang are in. The new GT matches the M3's performance numbers tit-for-tat, and that's even with the (mighty) live axle.

The Hyundai is pretty competitive with the Rolls-Royce. Test results for the 2010 Genesis Coupe are in. In fact the Genesis Coupe matches the Rolls-Royce in acceleration 'tit for tat'.

Edit: To clarify, the performance numbers match each other. The M3 is a sweet car yes, and you do get nice dash leather and everything, but for an extra $30k over the price of a base GT with the new 5.0? I can probably pay someone a lot less than that to put fancy leather on my doors.

EDIT: To clarify, the performance numbers match each other. The Rolls Royce is a sweet car yes, and you do get nice dash leather and everything, but for an extra $378k over the price of a base Hyundai with the Hyundai steering wheel? I can probably pay someone a lot less than that to put fancy leather on my doors.

Statement raise eyebrows in a normal conversation?

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
A RR Phantom Black from 0-60 mph in just 5.7s. Hyundai Genesis Coupe 0-60 in 5.69s.

The Hyundai is pretty competitive with the Rolls-Royce. In fact the Genesis Coupe matches the Rolls-Royce in acceleration 'tit for tat'.

Statement raise eyebrows in a normal conversation?

Reductio ad absurdum. Well done.
teacha.gif

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
marsupialed stuff
Ok now you're just being a jerk. I know your penchant for cars with teak gloveboxes and swanskin seatbelts, so let me save you time and bring this right out so you can understand: 1. Comparing two RWD coupe performance numbers isn't insane. They won't be cross-shopped but you can't help but admire performance for what it is. At least, I can't. 2. Cross-shopping a Phantom to a Genesis is insane. 3. You did just that, so you are insane. 4. Shut up. Again, you're confusing "car x performs like car y" to "car x absolutely MUST BE WITHOUT FAIL cross-shopped with car y." I understand that they are different cars. But when it's time to throw down the gauntlet, winning with fewer dollars is winning big. Look at the guy who ran a rally with a $500 BMW vs $400k dedicated AWD rally cars. Edit: If you bother to read my posts you will notice that I never did say that the cars were the same. I merely said that the performance is similar. Tossing up a RR vs a Hyundai comparison is a great strawman, but you're missing my point entirely. Edit 2: Let's stop arguing over the internet. We can do it over in Dumb Threads but not here. Let's get back to posting Cars We Drive.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EDIT: To clarify, the performance numbers match each other. The Rolls Royce is a sweet car yes, and you do get nice dash leather and everything, but for an extra $378k over the price of a base Hyundai with the Hyundai steering wheel? I can probably pay someone a lot less than that to put fancy leather on my doors.
Well done.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All cars that are driven by us are able to be posted here. I remember the so-called cloud cars. Chrysler used to be a decent make. My father still drives his '97 Dodge Grand Caravan. It's given us a solid 13 years of ski trips and family hauling. Then I sat in a new one. It just seemed worse somehow.
Heck yeah. I drove a late '70s Chrysler (and believe me, not a cool one) to college, 2002-2006.
Originally Posted by username79
However, I've heard good things about the 2011 and Ford is on a roll these days.
I've spent a lot of time driving a newish (I am guessing it is an '09 but I don't know) Taurus. It really drives so much better than its pedigree would suggest. I looked down at the speedo while passing someone and it was at 85, and I was really suprised at how stable it was. ~ H

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads