Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters Senior member

It was a factory option on 05's and above. Not sure if I have one for I haven't had it up on the lift yet. We'll be replacing both front axles and installing poly control arm bushings Friday so we'll see then. Good point though but still want the brakes.

With that much power, the best thing you can do if the car doesn't have it already is a limited-slip diff. Don't worry about the big brakes.

--Andre

2. A Y

A Y Senior member

I wouldn't do the poly bushings. They'll die faster, you'll mess up your suspension tuning, and it will ride worse.

--Andre

3. Drinkwaters

Thanks!

I wouldn't do the poly bushings. They'll die faster, you'll mess up your suspension tuning, and it will ride worse.

--Andre

4. sonick

sonick Senior member

Good choice with sticking with the big brake kit, they are definitely a good thing to have; it helps any car even the daily driver.

5. A Y

A Y Senior member

Good choice with sticking with the big brake kit, they are definitely a good thing to have; it helps any car even the daily driver.

What?

--Andre

6. Alias

Alias Senior member

Big brakes look cool and are wonderful for long track days but their pads cost $$$ compared to your standard brake pads. But they will look nice behind those wheels.

7. Drinkwaters

As you know, I'm all about looking good and helping others do the same.
    It kind of sucks that these brakes are so expensive but with anything that is in fashion, so goes the budget.
    I've been looking at of course, Brembo, Wilwood and Stoptech. They seem to be the leaders and so command the price. Is there a company out there that is making as good a brake system but is not as expensive? Thanks for the assist with my mid life obsession.

Big brakes look cool and are wonderful for long track days but their pads cost $$$ compared to your standard brake pads. But they will look nice behind those wheels.

8. 6foot5

6foot5 New Member

2004 Chrysler 300m Special :-]

New here evidently. I'm 19 and 6'5'' Been browsing for new style ideas as I'm sooo tired of wearing jeans and polos that hang like tents off me. Nice to be here. Here's my baby:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers.

9. Alias

Alias Senior member

Nice Chrysler. Enjoy your time here on the forums!

Picked up some Koni Sports for the Mustang. Apparently Koni Holland and Koni NA were in fisticuffs over the damper design and couldn't get any over to the states, but now they've finally shipped. Koni also makes the STR.T dampers which are like sports turned full-soft and are non-adjustable, but I waited for the Sports since I'll be tooling around on the track. Also the Sports apparently ride a lot better on the street than the dampers the car came with, and better control the huge unsprung weight of the log axle. And they were on sale!

Speaking of track stuff: Next up will be my own helmet (had to borrow one), brake stuff (need to replace pads, might as well put lines and better fluid in) and tires (all-seasons suck.) And more seat time!

10. magnus_h

magnus_h Senior member

My Peugeot 207 RC:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Jerome

Jerome Senior member

12. Alias

Alias Senior member

I hate cars.

Thanks for sharing. Now gtfo

13. username79

username79 Senior member

I agree with the above statement. All mass produced automobiles have inadequate brakes. It is a well known fact that at a place like BMW, where world class engineers design some of the most advanced and competent and sophisticated engines and cars in the world, that the brake engineering department is staffed by a single high school shop teacher who insists on using a cheap single piston caliper design because that's all he knows. Surprising, really, but thank god we have 500 fly by night companies with budget CNC machines and a trial version of AutoCAD to pick up where BMW's inadequate employee left off! It doesn't matter than all production cars including a base model Kia come with brakes more than capable of locking the wheels in all conditions! All daily drivers including Honda Fits should have at least 15" big brake kits. Stainless steel lines are very important too. Also your rotors should be drilled and slotted, this is very important for braking performance. Painting your calipers yellow or a combination of yellow and pink reduces stopping distances by 25 feet. It is definitely a great investment to spend $3-5000 dollars (usually 75-100% the value of the car these kits are applied) on something which actually in many cases increases stopping distance!! Also, be sure to get the pad kits which don't work in cold weather conditions, especially if you live in the Northeast and drive in the winter! This is a popular trend amongst expert Honda enthusiasts. Also, if you go to the track and realize you've lost your brakes due to fade, the most important thing to do is immediately spend $5K on upgrades to your car rather than driver education, as with the typical 5-10 track hours you are surely more competent than your vehicle. Did I miss anything?

14. xpress

xpress Senior member

I agree with the above statement. All mass produced automobiles have inadequate brakes. It is a well known fact that at a place like BMW, where world class engineers design some of the most advanced and competent and sophisticated engines and cars in the world, that the brake engineering department is staffed by a single high school shop teacher who insists on using a cheap single piston caliper design because that's all he knows. Surprising, really, but thank god we have 500 fly by night companies with budget CNC machines and a trial version of AutoCAD to pick up where BMW's inadequate employee left off! It doesn't matter than all production cars including a base model Kia come with brakes more than capable of locking the wheels in all conditions! All daily drivers including Honda Fits should have at least 15" big brake kits. Stainless steel lines are very important too. Also your rotors should be drilled and slotted, this is very important for braking performance. Painting your calipers yellow or a combination of yellow and pink reduces stopping distances by 25 feet. It is definitely a great investment to spend $3-5000 dollars (usually 75-100% the value of the car these kits are applied) on something which actually in many cases increases stopping distance!! Also, be sure to get the pad kits which don't work in cold weather conditions, especially if you live in the Northeast and drive in the winter! This is a popular trend amongst expert Honda enthusiasts. Also, if you go to the track and realize you've lost your brakes due to fade, the most important thing to do is immediately spend $5K on upgrades to your car rather than driver education, as with the typical 5-10 track hours you are surely more competent than your vehicle.

Did I miss anything?

9/10 times I completely agree with you
    [​IMG]

15. sonick

sonick Senior member

[​IMG] nevermind