• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What should I be wearing?

Jack2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
It was a joke that apparently fell flat. Although chukkas are great!

Ahh- I have not bee reading enough of the forum to realize that there is a plague of Chukka threads.

charfan9

Reaction score
Phxlawstudent, Kobalto, Jack2000,

Excellent! That's EXACTLY the kind of information I'm looking for. Keeping in mind that I am 60 years old (and proud of it, dont want to try and look like a teenager) 5'10" 180, grey and brwon hair, what colors do you think would look best on me? Also, I dont usually wear stripes, I like solid colors better. Thanks Guys!

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Charfan9 what country are you in? (color tolerance, brands available, weather, etc)

charfan9

Reaction score
Fair question! I was born and raised in Southern Calif. and now live in Mississippi! And I LOVE IT HERE!

Monaco

Reaction score
Do you have a budget for your new wardrobe? I'd say, to make this the least complicated, walk into some type of semi-flagship (maybe 2 story if you can find it) Banana Republic retail store, ask for the best stylist or find a gay guy, tell him your story and tell him to make you look great. In my experience, gay guys are friendly, definitely knows a thing or two about fashion for different types of people and will make you look good and up to date. It doesn't have to be limited to Banana Republic, try J. Crew too and Ralph Lauren too, those are all one stop shops with great styles for any occassion. Some sales representatives won't be as helpful as you like but most of them are and they are there to help you choose clothing, if you are willing. Another piece of advice I have is, don't try to be young (that is the worst thing you can do), know your age and work it. Get a nice haircut, grow out a beard, hell walk around in a velvet robe if you dare. You're 60, be proud of your accomplishments and your physical fitness. Maybe you can find a role model, someone that is cool that inspires you to be all you can. Maybe like the most interesting man in the world?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd recommend first lurking around and looking and finding a favorite poster to emulate, or some pics for inspiration. For example, look up pictures of Sean Connery... is that you? look up Karl Lagerfeld, or is that you? look at the what are you wearing pictures for some ideas of brands. The first thing to learn is FIT. Make sure everything you have that you want fits properly and everything new you buy does too. what is the right "fit"? see the what are you wearing pictures for ideas of different silouettes. some things will accentuate certain parts or tone down others. Take anything you have to the tailor to make sure all your pants and polos fit well. I'm with you on the solids and avoiding patterns. also, and most direct to your question, I would suggest looking into different fabrics. They will affect the way the clothing falls/drapes on your body and that is what will accentuate your figure. I'd say a quick way to add sophistication is to work on layering. It implies a level of thought and education. with colors and textures, again, these can be used to accentuate the body in certain ways. new "pieces" to try adding in: - Black turtleneck - definitely a pair of plain, slim, and DARK denim. - light grey slim fitted v-neck sweaters to wear over your polos, crew collar t-shirts, or even some dress shirts (probably not though.). These will give you form but still "smoothen" out your lines. -blue seersucker sportscoat Look at these, but of course just for IDEAS... not exactly this stuff, but this sort of image.
wrinkledblueshirtredpan.jpg
swhitebucksphatguido.jpg
bluevelvetsportscoatbro.jpg
bluestrongseersukerjack.jpg

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Monaco
Do you have a budget for your new wardrobe?

I'd say, to make this the least complicated, walk into some type of semi-flagship (maybe 2 story if you can find it) Banana Republic retail store, ask for the best stylist or find a gay guy, tell him your story and tell him to make you look great. In my experience, gay guys are friendly, definitely knows a thing or two about fashion for different types of people and will make you look good and up to date.

Man, if only this had been posted 2 years ago, it would have saved me a lot of time that I've spent reading random crap on here.
facepalm.gif

fjblair

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BestStyle
Welcome to the Forum
smile.gif

You can wear a nice Suit and a pair of Black shoes.It will be a Professional look.

True but the OP is retired and lives in Mississippi so I'm not sure he wants to dress formally. I sure as hell don't want to wear suits when I retire unless I have to.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Man, if only this had been posted 2 years ago, it would have saved me a lot of time that I've spent reading random crap on here.
facepalm.gif

Alternatively, you can ask a female friend to help you shop at a mall. Women always have a highly developed sense of fashion.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OP, how is that you're 60 and don't know how to dress?

You were born on or about 1950 and your strongest style influences would be the '50s - '70s, which pretty much runs the gamut of men's clothing styles.

How do you dress now and what do you want to change? Have you just dropped a lot of weight?

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 101 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads