• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What should I be wearing?

charfan9

Reaction score
Hello to all,

This is my first time on this site. My question is this,

I am a 60 year old retired male. I am 5'10" tall and weigh 180. I have a 34 inch waist, brown and grey hair, blue eyes. I have been working out at the gym for quite some time now, and am physically fit for my age. I know that those who are overweight tend to wear dark loose fitting clothing, but what about those who are fit? What colors and style of clothing would look good on us? I dont meant to sound vain, but I've worked hard to get to where I am at, and wouldnt mind "Showing Off" a bit.

Thanks

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not much of a welcome, but that is a very broad question. How do you currently dress? That and other information would help.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whatever you do, dont be an older dude wearing clothes that are too tight. That's trouble waiting to happen.

Get stuff thats well tailored and fits, but leave the tight t-shirts at the store.

Here is where you should look to start, most if this stuff fits:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...60731&page=126

Here is an example of "fits" (courtesy Voxsartoria 2010):

800879271_oWeUz-X2.jpg

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing fitted (slimmer fitting) clothes will accomplish your goal.

Montrachet

Reaction score
When I retire I'm going to dress like Norton I, Emperor of the United States.

Sartrolliast

Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Whatever you do, dont be an older dude wearing clothes that are too tight. That's trouble waiting to happen.

Get stuff thats well tailored and fits, but leave the tight t-shirts at the store.

Here is where you should look to start, most if this stuff fits:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...60731&page=126

Good God, don't send him to that ******* sewer of a thread. He'll be wearing leather bracelets, socks with fish on them, unbuttoned OCBDs, double monks, and he'll get arrested in the rest stop men's room for having a camera.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well fitting button down shirts and wool pants/khakis (basically grown up pants).

Jackets are up to you, depending on climate and preference.

I met a judge the other day and he looked fantastic in a suit. I would guess he was in his 50s or 60s. It would even be SF approved. He was wearing a 3 roll 2. Looked like it was tailored for him; probably was.

charfan9

Reaction score
Thanks to all, your points are well taken. I dress pretty casual for the most part ie Levis and "Polo Shirts". I'll also wear "Dockers".

I dont mind paying for what I get, but I want to get what I pay for. I've found that if you buy a $10.00 shirt, that's what you get, a $10.00 shirt. I can afford to spend more than that. Can anyone recomend a "Brand Name" line that is worth the extra money? Are Ralph Loren polo shirts worth the extra money? What brand of polo shirts would you recommend? Also, Dockers dont look bad, but can I do better? The main clothing stores in my town are Sears, J.C. Penney, and Belks. Belks seems to carry a pretty good line of Men's clothing, is it worth the extra money?

Thanks to all

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what you are looking for, John Smedley polos and some of the slimmer Bill's Khakis. The Smedleys you will have to get online but the pound is falling right now, so a good time to buy.Real shoes with leather soles. Chukkas would be good.
This forum is geared more towards mens dress clothing.

http://www.johnsmedley.com/

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by charfan9
Thanks to all, your points are well taken. I dress pretty casual for the most part ie Levis and "Polo Shirts". I'll also wear "Dockers".

I dont mind paying for what I get, but I want to get what I pay for. I've found that if you buy a $10.00 shirt, that's what you get, a $10.00 shirt. I can afford to spend more than that. Can anyone recomend a "Brand Name" line that is worth the extra money? Are Ralph Loren polo shirts worth the extra money? What brand of polo shirts would you recommend? Also, Dockers dont look bad, but can I do better? The main clothing stores in my town are Sears, J.C. Penney, and Belks. Belks seems to carry a pretty good line of Men's clothing, is it worth the extra money?

Thanks to all

I find RL Polo shirts on sale to be the best quality before it gets too expensive to bother with. Can't get the "basics" on sale though.
facepalm.gif
Then again, I like them because they come in custom fit. J. Crew polos are pretty nice, as are Banana Republics offerings. For a custom Polo there is tailorstore.com Haven't tried them personally as I'm very happy with RL custom fits.

As for pants. I bought some J Crew wool ones on sale. They're pretty nice. Flat front and slimmer, maybe more for the younger generation? Not sure on that. I also like the Baroni pants. Pretty slim, comes in pleats and flat, wool, good value imho.

But honestly, Dockers are pretty darn good. They hold up well and if you like how they fit, thats all that really matters. If your looking for wool pants though, there are better options.

Never heard of Belks. I do all my shopping online these days it seems. Nothing OTR fits me anyway so it has to go to the tailor or I have to buy MTM. Except for t-shirts and polos. I can get a decent fit off of some brands. Pants need to be hemmed anyway and don't always come in my size.

Jack2000

Reaction score
Try some brooks brothers slim fit shirts and the more mature J.Crew stuff. I don't know why Alan C mentioned chukkas, but they are cool casual shoes, especially in brown suede.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
It was a joke that apparently fell flat. Although chukkas are great! As said above, it depends on what you're dressing for (business casual vs. boardroom vs. I'm retired and can wear anything I want). You should look through the What Are You Wearing thread at the top of the page and get ideas. Dress well, showing good taste, and your fitness will shine through. You don't want to do things to specifically highlight it, however. It will look like you're trying way too hard.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads