• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Seward1

Reaction score
Try Ledbury. www.ledbury.com

Its a shirtmaker that I recently launched for this very reason. I lived in London for years and when I came back to the States I could never find shirts that fit. Our classic line is slimmer cut than most American shirtmakers and we also have a slim fit collection.

The slim fits are considerably thinner in the waist and we have got a very good response from men with big sholders/thinner torsos.

Apoligies for the self promotion, but was on SF and considering this is our specialty I figured I would comment.

Thanks, would be great to get any suggestions or input.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Seward1

Its a shirtmaker that I recently launched for this very reason. I lived in London for years and when I came back to the States I could never find shirts that fit. Our classic line is slimmer cut than most American shirtmakers and we also have a slim fit collection.

The slim fits are considerably thinner in the waist and we have got a very good response from men with big sholders/thinner torsos.

Apoligies for the self promotion, but was on SF and considering this is our specialty I figured I would comment.

Those look really nice

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
No, top button is supposed to always be closed with suit and tie. For slim fit: get the one with right neck size and arm size, then take it to the tailor, it costs only 10-15 to take in.

Anyone know a seamstress/dry cleaner/alterations tailor in chicago that will do this for 10-15?

I've got a pile of test shirts waiting to go...just have not found somebody to do it.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkeeM
i'm thinkin about dropping size on a dress shirt to achieve the slim fit and jus leaving the top button unbuttoned, how do you guys feel about top button unbuttoned with a suit and tie?

NO! Thats like buying shoes that are too small just because they look good and leaving them untied.

IMO you should only undo the top button with a casual shirt and tie look, like a less structured blazer and jeans, khakis etc.

NEVER with a suit.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Anyone know a seamstress/dry cleaner/alterations tailor in chicago that will do this for 10-15?

I've got a pile of test shirts waiting to go...just have not found somebody to do it.

Anyone in the outskirt of the city would do this for $15 or so. This particular one is super cheap and the lady is nice: http://www.yelp.com/biz/mandys-cleaners-chicago

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll give some places a try...I have not checked with any of the cleaners in my new neighborhood.

When I asked the cleaner next to my old apartment she just asked why I don't by them in the right size
facepalm.gif

miomall1

Reaction score
OTC, try Adrian Park @ 1755 W. North. Does business under DeLouice Custom Tailor and Design; don't have his number at hand, but you can get it @ yelp or Google if you'd like to call and ask what he would charge. I have not have any shirts taken in by him, but I've been going to him for six months (suits and shirts made, trousers tailored) and find him to be competent, reasonable & trustworthy.

derv

Reaction score

I am curious about the fabric. You can source Purple Label shirts for $125 which are made from fabric that makes the baby jebus cry.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Your shirts and site look great. I'm also curious about the fabrics. If you don't want to list the mill, that's understandable. But if that's info you're willing to share, I'd be interested in finding out more.

Seward1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Your shirts and site look great. I'm also curious about the fabrics. If you don't want to list the mill, that's understandable. But if that's info you're willing to share, I'd be interested in finding out more.

Thanks. We use only the Italian mills, most of the big names there. 100s, 120s. Lots of poplin/twill, couple of Oxfords. Of course I am a little bias, but fabric makes the shirt and we are using the best out there.

Thanks

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
It's slim fit. Especially after several washes. The material gets bad after several washes too though.

Oh I think you misread my post. The Express fitted shirts so far are the best fitting shirts I've tried on but the material is indeed really bad after a few washes. I'm wondering if there's a similar cut shirt that isn't so cheaply made.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skitlets
Oh I think you misread my post. The Express fitted shirts so far are the best fitting shirts I've tried on but the material is indeed really bad after a few washes. I'm wondering if there's a similar cut shirt that isn't so cheaply made.
Oh, I misread your question. If you like Express 1MX fit then you're like me. Here is my lesson: many mall brands fit nicely, but material is crap (I do have 1 H&M with nice material and fit, but the collar is bad). Higher end shirts (personally have RLPL, Borrelli, Fray, BBGF) are really big. The most economical way: find a shirt with correct collar + arm length in the material that you like, then take it to alteration.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skitlets

How much are you willing to spend? MTM is the only way I get shirts now. There are really inexpensive options out there.

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
How much are you willing to spend? MTM is the only way I get shirts now. There are really inexpensive options out there.

I'd really like to keep it at $80 or under. I can get an employee discount at a store like BR and get it tailored, which should cost about $40 a shirt before alterations. But the sleeves are a bit long, so I'd have to get those shortened and the body taken in.

I'll be checking out Normstrack Rack as well this weekend to see if I have any luck with some OTR brands. Already went through most mall brands except the Gap slims which are only available online.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
at that price why not just get them made at jantzen or tailorstore or something?

Quality will be fine (we are talking about mall brands here...trying to beat express) and after a test shirt or two, sizing will be great

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads