• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the look of the Drover.

Unfortunately, the chisel toe a la craftsman just doesn't fit my foot. After trying a few craftsman, and visiting the Australia Fair in san francisco, I've concluded that the turnout is a much better boot for my feet.

Now I just need to save up for some turnouts to confirm that they feel as good after hours of wear as they do in the shop.

hugz

Reaction score
I was told by a colleague a few days ago "you sure know how to spend money". With that in mind, I'm sure I'll regret registering for this forum.

Having murdered my previous favourite work shoes, I've picked up a pair of RM Williams blaxlands in black yesterday (I work in a Business Services firm with a somewhat relaxed dress code - ie no suit & tie required).

Onto the question: I'd like to soften these up ASAP as I dont really like the look of brand new boots. How often could I apply conditioner? It's suggested that it takes shoes 2 days simply to dry out from sweat, so I imagine that it must take a while for the conditioner to fully soak in.

Thanks

DECEMBER

Reaction score
I wear a US 8D normally, will a 7G in Yearling leather Craftsman be a good fit or too tight?

DECEMBER

Reaction score
will it be too tight with a thicker sock? Or will I still have room?
Think I could go with a 7.5G ?

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on how thick the sock is. You don't want too much room or your heel will slip. I have a 10D foot and take 9G in the Turnout (craftsmen is too tight in the toebox for my foot). These are guidelines though, and it's best to try going in for a fit.

DECEMBER

Reaction score
Well I was thinking about wearing with a merino wool boot sock..

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Others should chime in, but I would reconsider wearing a thick merino wool sock with the yearling craftsman. The yard boot, maybe, but...

If you go with the thick wool sock then, yeah, you'll most likely need to size up by 1/2 size.

On a different note, anyone have pics of an aged boot in the greasy kip? I saw a really nice looking boot on an old man in rainy san fran the other day. I'm pretty sure it was a williams boot but hard to tell as I couldn't see the ankle portion. It occurred to me I might be looking at the greasy kip. It was much nicer than I had imagined--kind of textured and chocolately and smeared. The boots had leather soles so I don't think it was the gardener or yard boot, exactly. They seemed like a great outdoor city boot for the bay area.

DECEMBER

Reaction score
Is the whole point of the comfort craftsman the poron insole?
Would you order the same size in these as the regular craftsman?

I've been reconsidering ordering the RMW Craftsman in shiny black leather...

I want some black RMW chisel-toe boots to wear with jeans... (which are dark indigo at the moment), but I don't want the rubber sole... I don't want it in suede or distressed either. Which options are available to me?

Or is there a way to maintain black leather so it doesn't end up super shiny?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DECEMBER

Been reconsidering ordering the RMW in shiny black leather...
I want some black RMW chisel-toe to wear with jeans.. which options are available to me?

Imho, no. There seems to be less room inside the CC. I had posted photographs sometime ago of 9G Craftsman and 9G Comfort Craftsman side by side, you can see a somewhat different toe box shape.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Do yourself a favor and assume that you don't take the same size in the cc as the regular craftsman. If it turns out you do, then you do (some people do, and most of the SA for RM Williams will tell you that the size should be the same.) But the cc definately has less room in the toebox. A few months ago I had bruised toes to prove it.

Ged

Reaction score

I've been reconsidering ordering the RMW Craftsman in shiny black leather...

I want some black RMW chisel-toe boots to wear with jeans... (which are dark indigo at the moment), but I don't want the rubber sole... I don't want it in suede or distressed either. Which options are available to me?

Or is there a way to maintain black leather so it doesn't end up super shiny?

Comfort Craftsman = Craftsman + rubber sole + poron insole
Blaxland = Craftsman + rubber sole
Craftsman = Craftsman
Forum Special Craftsman = Craftsman + screwed sole

So if you don't want a rubber sole, you don't really have to worry about how the CC fits, just get the standard Cratsman or the screwed sole Craftsman (if you want something even more sleek).

If you don't want it too shiny, consider kangaroo leather. I personally don't like the black kangaroo as it's a bit rough looking, but it would give a more casual look / not as shiny, without going as far as distressed leather.

Alternatively, you could get the standard yearling and just not polish it too vigorously. The French Veal calf is the nicest leather and IMO is what everyone should get, but it shines up really well...

IMG_2722.jpg

DECEMBER

Reaction score
hmm.. I always thought finer grained meant that it would be shinier / smoother... Why does the kangaroo leather have less shine and why is it listed as a dress boot?

Tez Mulan

Reaction score
The Stockman in Kangaroo Chestnut is the best looking RMW boot there is I went into the Bond Street, London store last week and picked up a pair of Craftsman in Chestnut., but my sister kept pleading with me to buy the Stockman instead. The brown is certainly richer on the Stockman and makes for a more interesting color, and the lighter stitching detail really looks like it equals quality. I did consider buying these, but I have become a fan of the brass screwed leather sole - a variant which they never carry in stock. So I have just ordered these from bootsonline along with a Macquarie black in French veal with brass screwed sole, which will be the sleekest boot ever made. Current Inventory: - 1. Macquarie BLACK, Yearling, Welted Sole 2. Stockman BLACK, Kangaroo, Welted Sole 3. Craftsman CHESTNUT, Yearling, Welted Sole On Order: - 4. Craftsman CLARET, Yearling, Brass Screwed Sole 5. Macquarie BLACK, French Veal, Brass Screwed Sole 6. Stockman CHESTNUT, Kangaroo, Brass Screwed Sole I'm also going to buy a pair of these Harold Brumby boots, as I really need something for dress down This little lot should keep me going for at least a couple of years now. I'm really looking forward to getting the Claret boots most of all, as I've done some damage on suits from Zegna, and the current collection has purple/burgundy hues with their brown, black and brown/black suits. Tez

Tez Mulan

Reaction score
hmm.. I always thought finer grained meant that it would be shinier / smoother... Why does the kangaroo leather have less shine and why is it listed as a dress boot?

It certainly has got less shine, but still looks good with a suit and doesnt look too dressy when putting with jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads