• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beer: What did you buy last time and why?

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After getting into craft/micro and belgian ales I can never bring myself to buy beer from Bud, Miller, Coors ever again. It really is garbage. For too long these massive corporations kept the wool over the American consumers eyes passing their products off as something they're not.

My last purchases:

Rogue Dead Guy Ale - Probably my favorite beer. Very drinkable with fantastic body and tons of flavor and nuances. I always have this stocked in my fridge
Guinness Draught cans - I know it's not too well respected but it reminds me of my favorite place in the world. Nothing like a good stout
Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA - Delicious
Smuttynose IPA - delicious obv.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
After getting into craft/micro and belgian ales I can never bring myself to buy beer from Bud, Miller, Coors ever again. It really is garbage. For too long these massive corporations kept the wool over the American consumers eyes passing their products off as something they're not.

My last purchases:

Rogue Dead Guy Ale - Probably my favorite beer. Very drinkable with fantastic body and tons of flavor and nuances. I always have this stocked in my fridge
Guinness Draught cans - I know it's not too well respected but it reminds me of my favorite place in the world. Nothing like a good stout
Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA - Delicious
Smuttynose IPA - delicious obv.

I see Rogue at the store all the time and have been tempted to buy it. Perhaps now I shall.

Had Dogfish 120 a couple weeks ago - that is something else - pretty wacky. OK to try, but I don't thin I would purchase it regularly.

Had Smuttynose for the first time around Christmas. A gift from the in-laws - very nice.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please buy the Dead Guy Ale and get back to me. It is so well balanced unlike many craft beers that are so damn over hopped and bitter/pungent.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
this evening i'm drinking kulmbacher eisbock..didn't really buy it - wife signed me up for an international beer of the month thing for a christmas present. it's a good beer, but potent (9.2%)
If you like that, you should look for weizenbocks at the store. It's probably my favorite style of beer. The eisbock is a special kind of weizenbock that's stronger and, imo, less tasty.

and +1 to the Dead Guy recommendation. I like Dead Guy

lost in va

Reaction score
Sorry about the huge post..I haven't been on here a lot as of late.

I've been doing a lot of beer drinking/stock up:

chocolate+indulgence.JPG

cnl1.JPG

gd-espresso-oa-yeti.jpg

nor-nogne-o-imperial-stout.jpg

3760588452_e635238170.jpg

stone-ruination.jpg

p_2048_1536_63F1C8CA-A0EB-4BA2-877E-A69D898E8DBA.jpeg

3336417050_2270839634.jpg

12845_202087482465_502332465_3488222_3213957_n.jpg

Moylans Hopsickle Imperial India Pale Ale
New Holland Dragon's Milk Oak Barrel Ale
Bear Republic Big Bear Black Stout
Founders Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale
Oskar Blues Ten Fidy Imperial Stout
Founders Breakfast Stout
Harviestoun Old Engine Oil
Southern Tier Krampus
Terrapin Side Project 90 Shelling Scotch Ale

10836_181869137465_502332465_3346058_4662038_n.jpg

2008 Schlafly Reserve: Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout
Stone 09.09.09 Vertical Epic Ale
Harviestoun Ola Dubh Special 30 Year Reserve
Bells Special Double Cream Stout
Bells Kalamazoo Stout
Bells Expedition Stout
Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA

12845_184217647465_502332465_3363010_5044248_n.jpg

Bruery Autumn Maple
Unibroue Terrible
Dogfish Head Black & Blue (trading jeremy this for a Delirium Noël since I can't get it on this side of the water)
Stone Imperial Stout
Stone Double Bastard
Aventinus 2004
Stone Oaked Arrogant Bastard
Bells Java Stout
J.W. Lee's Harvest Ale 2001

I also picked up 2 bottles of this stuff. Waiting on it to get here...

tactical-nuclear-penguin-bottles.jpg

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lost in va
12845_184217647465_502332465_3363010_5044248_n.jpg

Bruery Autumn Maple
Unibroue Terrible
Dogfish Head Black & Blue (trading jeremy this for a Delirium Noël since I can't get it on this side of the water)
Stone Imperial Stout
Stone Double Bastard
Aventinus 2004
Stone Oaked Arrogant Bastard
Bells Java Stout
J.W. Lee's Harvest Ale 2001

Pretty good stuff!

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Please buy the Dead Guy Ale and get back to me. It is so well balanced unlike many craft beers that are so damn over hopped and bitter/pungent.

I had dead guy at a place in the Philippines and it is really really good. I need to get some for my personal stash

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lost in va
I also picked up 2 bottles of this stuff. Waiting on it to get here...

tactical-nuclear-penguin-bottles.jpg

bounce2.gif
I'll bet it tastes pretty bad, but I'd still love to try some!

samblau

Reaction score
Gouden Carolus Cuvee of the Emperor at Valhalla NYC, very happy...actually found it at 4th Ave pub in BK as well.

238141172_c5fcc1a800.jpg

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lost in VA I am so insanely jealousssssss. Canadian beer selection is horrible
frown.gif
The grocery store near my parents has a much larger selection than the largest liquor/beer store in Canada. Government controlled liquor/beer and a government granted monopoly to foreign corporations for The Beer Store has ruined selection in Ontario. It's horrible. You'll have to let us know how Tactical Nuclear Penguin is haha what a name, what a concept.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads