• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

cgo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
What are your thoughts on wearing a vertically striped shirt with a diagonally striped tie? Is that a no-no?
This is a classic combo actually...just make sure the stripe on the tie is bolder (ie. spaced more) than the shirt's stripe

TxdoHawk

Reaction score
I have a pair of black Park Avenues (bought used off Ebay for something like $30) that have served me well. I want to get them recrafted and keep using them as an everyday work shoe, but I'd like to also grab something else in black. I tripped over an article that mentioned these Tim Little wholecuts:

BlackSole-1-blk-pr.jpg

and man, I'm in love.
inlove.gif
What else should I look at along this line? These run around $500, which is definitely the limit of what I want to spend, ideally I'd like to be looking more around the $200-300 range...but these won't get abused every day, so I'm trying to be flexible.

delirium

Reaction score
so what's the deal with Vass MTO boots now? is someone in sf still running a service? what's the price range?

*edit - i guess not necessarily vass mto boots

i'm looking for some hardy yet sleek cordovan PTB - double or triple soles :]

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A-Mart
black shirt with midnight navy suit?
From the perspective of classic men's tailored clothing, black shirts are not worn with any color suit. Even apart from that, black and navy are a bad pairing. They make you look like you're really bad at matching colors.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarlee
Mid grey nailhead as odd trousers: yes or no. I've bought very nice double pleated & cuffed pair which I think will go fine with brown shoes and a navy blazer. What thoughts on wearing with a range of other sports coats?
No on the trousers. I think most people would consider nailhead a suiting pattern the same as pinstripes, etc.

stylenewbie

Reaction score
Is it okay to use clothes brushes or lint removing brushes on flannel or baize cloth coats? Wouldn't the more "thready" and "furry" nature of the cloth lead to threads being pulled out by the brush? I used a lint brush on a black baize cloth coat once, and while the coat looked fine, there were all these black hairs left on the brush afterwards.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rickblaine
What's best practice when it comes to mirror shine? The whole shoe or just the cap?
The mirror shine is composed of a layer of wax polish on the surface of the shoe. That works great on a part of the shoe such as the toe that does not flex. On parts of the shoe that do flex, that layer of wax will crack and you'll end up with a white waxy residue that will have to be stripped off.

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really clothing related but I've been wondering this for a long time...

But what exactly is "spam" and what exactly is a "troll"in SF/other fora speak?

I mean, I kinda get it but is there a widely synonymous meaning for each?
I've seen spam used as "a useless, or dumb" post.
And
Troll used as Someone who conducts the above

and when a troll is trolling, he is excessively doing the above?

Am I missing anything?

Thanks, and i'm asking in all seriousness.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FStyles
Not really clothing related but I've been wondering this for a long time...

But what exactly is "spam" and what exactly is a "troll"in SF/other fora speak?

I mean, I kinda get it but is there a widely synonymous meaning for each?
I've seen spam used as "a useless, or dumb" post.
And
Troll used as Someone who conducts the above

and when a troll is trolling, he is excessively doing the above?

Am I missing anything?

Thanks, and i'm asking in all seriousness.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=forum+troll
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=forum+spam

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads