• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

furosemide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by click here
So why is everyone popping their collars?

Cause in Chicago, it's freezing! Well, actually not today, but for the past week. I think popping a Polo collar is trying too hard, but a peacoat in the middle of the Windy City winter? Hellz yeah.

lt_to

Reaction score
Originally Posted by merper
Thanks for the input! The Nautica wasn't my first choice, but it's starting to grow on me.

Gladly. I guess I can PM you my paypal details so you can send me the extra $300 I need to make up the difference. Seriously though, I don't currently spend enough months in cold weather (or make enough) to warrant a super nice peacoat.

That Sterlingwear does look real good on you snuff. Too bad they're all sold out of my size online (thanks to people like you!
fight[1].gif
).

If it's not too late to put in my two cents... I like the cK, peacoats look good and slims your silhouette if they are longer... personally short peacoats that stops at the butt just don't have that 'pop' to it
smile.gif
Just my two cents.

kinkbmxco

Reaction score
Ordered a Gray Sterlingwear Authentic Peacoat 36R on January 5th through their website. Came in the mail today. I wear a size 36 coat (for a suit) and have a 38 inch chest. I initially ordered a 34R and a 36R but after much contemplating, and talking to someone on these forums, I ended up canceling my order for the 34R. I now regret this decision... the shoulders on the 36R look huge on me. I can live with the length, and I can live with how the coat feels around my chest, but the shoulders make me look like I am wearing football padding. I guess ill be sending it back tomorrow and trying a 34R.

snuff_daddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can u take a good quality pic of the gray material??? ^^

i want to see how it looks and most of the gray coat pics posted are kinda fuzzy/blurry

iwhelan

Reaction score
I don't know if it has been mentioned but the Woolrich Woolen Mills Melton Wool Maine Guide Jacket is kind of like a single breasted peacoat with shawl collar. It has a very similar style. I am very happy with mine. The fit is pretty good too. It might be worth a look if you can find one.

adeft

Reaction score
My sterlingwear authentic came yesterday. I'm 6'3 205, around 40 inch chest, 34 inch waist, and 19.5-20 inch shoulders length (can't find my garment tape measure, this is guessing from a toolbox tape measure). I went out to a couple of army surplus stores to try and get a read on my size. The smallest I could fit into due to the high armholes was a 40R, my arms weren't going to fit in any 38R. At my height, any R is far too short (I like my jackets sleeves as close to halfway between the wrist bone and the start of my thumb as possible for outerwear) so I knew I'd be ordering online but while I could put it on, I thought a 40 would just feel awkwardly tight on me in regular wear. It also felt awkward trying to put my hands in my pockets. Unfortunately, I couldn't try out any 42/44 sizes, which I really needed to make an informed decision.

I ended up taking a chance getting a 42L (normal suit size), fit me perfectly in the length (around the bottom of my butt), sleeves, and shoulders. It could afford to taken in at the waist but I haven't decided if it's worth it. I'll try to get up some fit pics for people similar to my size to reference. I probably could have pulled off a 40L for the slimmest fit possible but it's not worth the trouble. My issues with a 40R probably would've been corrected with a L.

The difficulty with you guys trying to guess from these posts is if I followed the general consensus here, I would've ended up returning a 38L with my 40" chest and been out some shipping costs because my arms wouldn't have fit through the high armholes even if it may have been a good fit everywhere else. If you have narrow shoulders, I'd follow the sizing down advice here but if your shoulders are broad like mine, your normal suit size should be fine. Filling out the shoulders is the problem, they're pretty wide if you just get your normal suit size for this and a smaller guy.

I went to 4 different army surplus stores and 3 had the sterlingwear ones. They're pretty common things so I'd definitely google where some are near you and see if they have them, better to at least have a general idea like I did than a total crapshoot.

kinkbmxco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by snuff_daddy
can u take a good quality pic of the gray material??? ^^ i want to see how it looks and most of the gray coat pics posted are kinda fuzzy/blurry
Ill do my best but I have an old(er) camera and am not the best photographer... So I ended up going to an Army Surplus store here in Portland and picked up a Navy 32! I don't know if I am totally incompetent in measuring my chest, or have a delusional sense of what a "good" fit is... I put on my Patagonia coat on UNDERNEATH the 32 and it was snug but not overly tight. (I won't be layering, just wanted to see) I will say, the Sterlingwear Peacoat seems to be much better thought out in terms of the pockets. They are significantly nicer. The Surplus Coat also can be buttoned up from either side which is kind of neat...That aside, the coats seem pretty equal. Anyhow, here is some pictures for comparison. (Sorry picture Intensive!) Sleeve color comparison
sc883o.jpg
Coat color comparison
11ie0s8.jpg
38 inches right?
jfi7iq.jpg
Sterlingwear Gray 36R
2nsotx4.jpg
32 Navy
10ngi03.jpg
I am partial towards the gray because it will hide any lint or what have you better than the Navy will. Having said that, the Army Surplus Store peacoat was about $30 cheaper, and you get the ability to actually try it on. Hope this helps someone. PM me if you have questions.

zipidy928

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kinkbmxco
Ill do my best but I have an old(er) camera and am not the best photographer...
So I ended up going to an Army Surplus store here in Portland and picked up a Navy 32! I don't know if I am totally incompetent in measuring my chest, or have a delusional sense of what a "good" fit is... I put on my Patagonia coat on UNDERNEATH the 32 and it was snug but not overly tight. (I won't be layering, just wanted to see)
I will say, the Sterlingwear Peacoat seems to be much better thought out in terms of the pockets. They are significantly nicer. The Surplus Coat also can be buttoned up from either side which is kind of neat...That aside, the coats seem pretty equal.
Anyhow, here is some pictures for comparison. (Sorry picture Intensive!)
Sleeve color comparison
http://i46.tinypic.com/sc883o.jpg[IMG]
Coat color comparison
[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/11ie0s8.jpg[IMG]
38 inches right?
[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/jfi7iq.jpg[IMG]
Sterlingwear Gray 36R
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/2nsotx4.jpg[IMG]
32 Navy
[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/10ngi03.jpg[IMG]

I am partial towards the gray because it will hide any lint or what have you better than the Navy will. Having said that, the Army Surplus Store peacoat was about $30 cheaper, and you get the ability to actually try it on. Hope this helps someone. PM me if you have questions.[/I]

Is the navy coat made by Fidelity?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member