MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

Hi Mr.K,

May I ask where did you buy your Fidelity coat? How's the quality?

I ordered it online. I need to see if i still have it book marked. It is not bad. I do not wear it a lot, so it should last for a good while for me. Living in the South, it doe snot get cold enough that often.

2. Mapleton

Mapleton New Member

Dumb question, why do they call it a "pea coat"?

3. aidan.lawrence

aidan.lawrence Member

They are dark brown cashmere-lines Portolanos. Thank you.
    I have those exact same gloves , I love them, they're unbelievably warm.

4. aidan.lawrence

aidan.lawrence Member

Dumb question, why do they call it a "pea coat"?
    it comes from the nautical slang for a really foggy and nasty storm, called pea-soup the coat is designed to keep you warm in this kind of weather, hence the pea coat

5. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

When wearing peacoats, are you not meant to button the bottom button?

Leaving the bottom button unbuttoned takes the strain off of the button while seated. The thread doesn't wear out as quickly, and requires less frequent re-stitching. Peacoat (for pilot cloth, perhaps) material is thick and heavy. It is no easy chore to re-sew a button. While walking or standing in cold weather, button the bottom button for reduced airflow and additional warmth. And yes, Navy dress regs require the buttons to be buttoned, but we aren't in the Navy now.

6. zipidy928

zipidy928 Senior member

Hello folks,

I need help with my pea coat issue. My first two choices were the RL academy pea coat and the Buzz Rickson's pea coat. But since the RL is out of stock and the Buzz Rickson is too expensive, I decided to broaden my search.

This forum has very promising posts when it comes to Sterlingwear's quality. I ordered the Fidelity pea coat basing on the picture and it arrived today but I'm not too excited with it. I am size 36 chest but I usually order a size 38 when it comes to jackets because I don't want to look skimpy. In this case, I ordered a size 36. When it arrived, I tried it on and I think I want the fit to be more snug.

I came accross a post stating that Schott and Fidelity have the same quality and that Sterlingwear has the better quality based from a side by side comparison.

Now, I decided to return this and go with the Sterlingwear pea coat. I'm getting the Navigator because I like the satin lining. Should I get the size 34 or is Sterlingwear's fit more fitted as compared to Fidelity's? Also, should I get a short or a regular? I'm 5'8 but I like my coat to be low on the waist and have that modern effect.

Thanks in advance for any input [​IMG]

7. adeft

adeft Member

How long does sterlingwear take to ship? I placed a order on Tuesday, wondering when I'll get a confirm or if it'll just turn up on my doorstep.

8. adidasaj

adidasaj Active Member

Has anyone seen-in-person or tried on the Adidas NBHD x Kazuki Kuraishi pea coat? http://deadstock.ca/catalog/index.ph...ategoryid=3100 Absolutely love the collaboration, and I'm trying to decide which item to get from it. I would very much like one item before it sells out everywhere, but I'm unsure of which. Truthfully, the pea coat is not the one I'm leaning to. Even if I could afford it (another pea coat is low priority; maybe better to save up for my first Burberry trench).... I don't know if I want logos on my pea coats. But I do absolutely love the look of this line, and I think the pea coat looks very cool. I'd love to try it on myself but I don't think I'll be in Vancouver before Feb and Toronto before April.

9. zipidy928

zipidy928 Senior member

How long does sterlingwear take to ship? I placed a order on Tuesday, wondering when I'll get a confirm or if it'll just turn up on my doorstep.

It depends. If they have it in stock, they will ship it right away; if not, they will have to make it which takes up to 21 days. Keep in mind that they charge your credit card as soon as you place your order.

10. takinghits

takinghits New Member

11. adeft

adeft Member

It depends. If they have it in stock, they will ship it right away; if not, they will have to make it which takes up to 21 days. Keep in mind that they charge your credit card as soon as you place your order.

Thanks.

Do you know if they tell you via an automatic email if it's not in stock and they need to make it first or do I need to call/email to find this out? I'm assuming I'll need to call them with my order number.

12. zipidy928

zipidy928 Senior member

Thanks.

Do you know if they tell you via an automatic email if it's not in stock and they need to make it first or do I need to call/email to find this out? I'm assuming I'll need to call them with my order number.

Call them and ask if they do have it in stock; if not, they will make it for you. I cannot guarantee that you coat will arrive within 30 days because I have read some posts complaining that they received their coats 2+ months later. I made the order anyway and as we speak, my coat is being made [​IMG]

13. zipidy928

zipidy928 Senior member

Hello folks, I need help with my pea coat issue. My first two choices were the RL academy pea coat and the Buzz Rickson's pea coat. But since the RL is out of stock and the Buzz Rickson is too expensive, I decided to broaden my search. This forum has very promising posts when it comes to Sterlingwear's quality. I ordered the Fidelity pea coat basing on the picture and it arrived today but I'm not too excited with it. I am size 36 chest but I usually order a size 38 when it comes to jackets because I don't want to look skimpy. In this case, I ordered a size 36. When it arrived, I tried it on and I think I want the fit to be more snug. I came accross a post stating that Schott and Fidelity have the same quality and that Sterlingwear has the better quality based from a side by side comparison. Now, I decided to return this and go with the Sterlingwear pea coat. I'm getting the Navigator because I like the satin lining. Should I get the size 34 or is Sterlingwear's fit more fitted as compared to Fidelity's? Also, should I get a short or a regular? I'm 5'8 but I like my coat to be low on the waist and have that modern effect. Thanks in advance for any input [​IMG]
    Decided to go with the Sterlingwear Navy 34S. I called for the order and they said that they do not have it in stock and will take 21 days to make. 4 days later, I got so surprised it was sitting right in front of my doorstep. I tried it on and compared it with the Fidelity pea coat I ordered - the Sterlingwear's fit and quality is SUPERB! I will post pictures soon to show. FYI, I am 5'8, 150 lbs, 36 chest, 30 waist

14. merper

merper New Member

Man, I started looking way too late. The stores have all been picked clean of smalls. I found two my size though, and I couldn't figure out which one to go with. I bought both so I'd have time to sort it out at home. Help me decide here guys!

This first's a black one from CK Jeans. It's somewhat thinner, but the winters in my region aren't so cold so that's not a dealbreaker. I like how well it tapers near the waist, but I'm just wondering if it's too long. I'm 5'9" only and I don't want to "get swamped" as they put it.

[​IMG]

The other one's a navy blue from Nautica. It's a good thickness, good length('bout 1-2" shorter) good everything really, but it just seems a bit more boxy than the other one. I can get the waist tailored a bit though right?

[​IMG]

Which one would you go with?

15. zipidy928

zipidy928 Senior member

Man, I started looking way too late. The stores have all been picked clean of smalls. I found two my size though, and I couldn't figure out which one to go with. I bought both so I'd have time to sort it out at home. Help me decide here guys!

This first's a black one from CK Jeans. It's somewhat thinner, but the winters in my region aren't so cold so that's not a dealbreaker. I like how well it tapers near the waist, but I'm just wondering if it's too long. I'm 5'9" only and I don't want to "get swamped" as they put it.

[​IMG]

The other one's a navy blue from Nautica. It's a good thickness, good length('bout 1-2" shorter) good everything really, but it just seems a bit more boxy than the other one. I can get the waist tailored a bit though right?

[​IMG]

Which one would you go with?

I would go with the Nautica pea coat. It looks more classic/traditional. And even if you think it's a little boxy, I think it looks sexy on you and makes you look taller. The CK pea coat is just too trendy.