• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conan may be replaced by Leno

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tricota
Does anyone think Jay would have stod any chance in 1992, if NBC had also given Johnny Carson his own show? Of course not.
Looks as if NBC was hedging its bet -- keep the old guy people love around at an "accessible" time while the successor plies his trade in the new spot. Unfortunately, NBC has successfully torpedoed the Tonight Show franchise, pissed off a few key assets, and enraged the affiliates. But apparently the money made on the Leno show will salve most of the problems temporarily. Still doesn't make up for the fact that Zucker and crew don't seem to have a clear plan.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They all suck IMO, with Letterman being the least sucky but sucky still.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
A bit before my time, but what exactly was the deal behind Arsenio's boot from Fox? Was he actually good?
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
No. Not even close. His one bright shining moment was when then-candidate Bill Clinton laid down some pretty respectable sax chops on this program. Aside from that, pretty much Meh.
Arsenio Hall started as a fill-in to the failed Joan Rivers talk show Fox aired in the aftermath of the Leno-to-the-Tonight Show decision. Had a devoted (primarily urban) following for a year, mainly because he was able to get guys like Tyson, Murphy (while still funny), Magic Johnson, and others to come by at the drop of a hat. Hall was a good stand-up comedian, but so-so host and bad interviewer, so that eventually did the show in.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Good. He's completely right too. NBC did everything they could to make sure Conan failed. They basically set him up for such by removing a good prime time 10pm hour long drama like it always had going for it before and not really trying to help conan much but rather worrying about trying to save money and keep jleno afloat. Hope nbc and leno crash and burn and conan somewhere else like maybe fox flourishes and dominates the late night landscape. Conan is a ridiculously bright, quick witted, intelligent and funny guy from his work on some of the best years of SNL and simpsons, other writing gigs and then slowly growing with his late night show and always gives good interviews if you've heard him in various things PBS, some podcasts and other similar interviews.. Definitely was done wrong by nbc.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well — in Conan's defense — The Tonight Show wouldn't be "tonight" were it to move to 12:05 a.m.; it would be tomorrow.

NBC is either:
a) really ******* smart and is playing this thing out to put Leno back where he was without having to eat Conan's salary; or
b) really ******* dumb and getting dumber by the day.

Oxnard

Reaction score
Before all of this, I thought Jay was a classy guy for handing over the Tonight Show to Conan in the manner he did. At this point however, I could not possibly have any less respect for Jay Leno for participating in this nonsense. Jeff Zucker or whatever his name is at NBC is an idiot for doing all of this, they are going to turn away a serious amount of viewers if this does not end amicably.

Also love that Conan addressed his statement with "People of Earth:". Will follow Conan wherever he goes, **** Leno and NBC for real.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Well "” in Conan's defense "” The Tonight Show wouldn't be "tonight" were it to move to 12:05 a.m.; it would be tomorrow.

NBC is either:
a) really ******* smart and is playing this thing out to put Leno back where he was without having to eat Conan's salary; or
b) really ******* dumb and getting dumber by the day.

I would take B), I think NBC F**ked up the 11:35 weeknight slot since Johnny Carson retired in the early '90s and jerked Letterman around and in the end putting "the Chin" on the Tonight Show. Now they are doing the same to O'Brien, I don't blame him for entertaining offers from other networks.

Leno is a nice guy but he is as cutting edge as a butter knife.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oxnard
...Jay was a classy guy for handing over the Tonight Show to Conan in the manner he did...

Leno didn't have a choice when he "handed over" the Tonight Show; NBC essentially fired him from the program.

Originally Posted by Bill Smith
I would take B), I think NBC F**ked up the 11:35 weeknight slot since Johnny Carson retired...

Yes. I think this is simply an opportunity to watch another once large and proud business swirl around the drain a time or two before disappearing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads