• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you're overweight, why buy nice clothes?

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
As to your build, you are correct. Some men are quite effete and should be what would be painfully thin on other men.

Your insinuation that a smaller size frame equals "effete" is quite ridiculous since that alone is not adequate criteria for evaluating such a label. So I'll assume you meant it as a derogatory remark in order to rationalize your own weight to yourself-- i.e. "it is better to be overweight than effete." I don't really look effete, but you can continue to believe that if it makes you feel better.

I recently read a sociological study where they found most Western men today believe that carrying excess fat is a sign of masculinity. Yet this is quite contradictory since woman are predisposed to carry more fat than men. But in many countries (such as France) this odd view on male weight is largely not held.

MsMcGillicuddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
In case anyone is interested, here are the Met Life tables that I mentioned previously. I'd be willing to bet most people (except those whom everyone labels as "skinny") will be above their ideal weight range when using the 1959 data.

http://healthlinks.washington.edu/nu...section12.html

Interesting - when Met Life released revised tables in 1983, they said that the weights in the tables were not the weights that reduced incidences of illness or disease. The weights also weren't used to figure out premiums. I find that interesting.

And to whomever upthread (I think there were a few folks) pointed out that BMI ranges aren't the best indicators for much of anything, I would definitely agree. Lots of fit people have high BMIs, and lots of unfit people have low BMIs (if you happen to look great in a suit without eating well or being active, there's not much societal motivation to do either). Let's encourage individuals to look at their own health and activity levels instead. That may offend some sensibilities, however, as that may mean 'overweight' people may accept their weight, and may end up sitting on a plane next you. Such is life.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
Get a ******* clue, *****.

this is a very mature approach.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MsMcGillicuddy
And to whomever upthread (I think there were a few folks) pointed out that BMI ranges aren't the best indicators for much of anything, I would definitely agree. Lots of fit people have high BMIs, and lots of unfit people have low BMIs (if you happen to look great in a suit without eating well or being active, there's not much societal motivation to do either). Let's encourage individuals to look at their own health and activity levels instead. That may offend some sensibilities, however, as that may mean 'overweight' people may accept their weight, and may end up sitting on a plane next you. Such is life.

BMI is used because it indicates the likely level of stress on the necessary physiological systems. A 250lb. guy with 10% bodyfat may be thin, but when ill and requiring surgery his systems will still be under stress.

Please stop repeating the nonsense of 'BMI is worthless' -- it's worthless for aesthetics, but for some reason people have again extrapolated bodybuilding into science.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
I don't like to have preconceptions of people so I'll pose this as a question; Is this beneath you?

Originally Posted by db_ggmm
Get a ******* clue, *****.

Originally Posted by BB1
Your insinuation that a smaller size frame equals "effete" is quite ridiculous since that alone is not adequate criteria for evaluating such a label. So I'll assume you meant it as a derogatory remark in order to rationalize your own weight to yourself-- i.e. "it is better to be overweight than effete." I don't really look effete, but you can continue to believe that if it makes you feel better.

I recently read a sociological study where they found most Western men today believe that carrying excess fat is a sign of masculinity. Yet this is quite contradictory since woman are predisposed to carry more fat than men. But in many countries (such as France) this odd view on male weight is largely not held.

Originally Posted by BB1
In case anyone is interested, here are the Met Life tables that I mentioned previously. I'd be willing to bet most people (except those whom everyone labels as "skinny") will be above their ideal weight range when using the 1959 data.

http://healthlinks.washington.edu/nu...section12.html

crackup[1].gif

In a thread, just about dedicated to bashing fatties, look at what one sentence from me stirred up. I'd ask, "Lesson learned," but let's face it, we all know the answer to that.
laugh.gif

It appears you underfed folk are much more "sensitive," another effete trait.
laugh.gif

I guess us manly fatties have a thicker skin?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
BMI is used because it indicates the likely level of stress on the necessary physiological systems. A 250lb. guy with 10% bodyfat may be thin, but when ill and requiring surgery his systems will still be under stress.

why? serious question.

I could understand if you said that his lower body joints are under stress no matter what, but I don't understand what you mean by that.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Piobaire;2838752 I guess us manly fatties have a thicker skin?[/QUOTE said:

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
why? serious question.

Because organ systems don't develop concomitantly with the rest of the body. Their body has a higher requirement to maintain homeostasis than a smaller person (more hormones, more food, more digestion, etc.)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Because organ systems don't develop concomitantly with the rest of the body. Their body has a higher requirement to maintain homeostasis than a smaller person (more hormones, more food, more digestion, etc.)

I think why is pretty on target.

Muscle does heal better than fat though. If you've ever seen a gut incision in a true bariatric patient, you won't soon forget. They sew up the muscle and the fascia, but leave the fat open to the air, to heal by secondary intention. I've seen wounds with > 12" of blubber open and you have to re-pack and change the dressing all the time. It's slow healing.

Also, I've always wondered about cancer and aging in high level athletes. The more you eat, the more free radicals you produce. So Lance Armstrong has had to deal with the free radicals of 20 normal men.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why

ok, fair enough, but if a persons chest cavity is 30% bigger, then that would assume that his organs were also bigger and better prepared, no?

I am thinking of two men standing next to each other, each with <15% body fat, each 5 foot 8. one has 40 inch shoulders, one has 60 inch shoulders. won't the organs of the broader man be larger to fill in the larger chest cavity? won't that take up the extra work involved? I don't know, I am asking.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think why is pretty on target.

Muscle does heal better than fat though. If you've ever seen a gut incision in a true bariatric patient, you won't soon forget. They sew up the muscle and the fascia, but leave the fat open to the air, to heal by secondary intention. I've seen wounds with > 12" of blubber open and you have to re-pack and change the dressing all the time. It's slow healing.

Adipose tissue has less blood flow, which is likely the primary reason for this.

Also, I've always wondered about cancer and aging in high level athletes. The more you eat, the more free radicals you produce. So Lance Armstrong has had to deal with the free radicals of 20 normal men.

Yeah, but I don't think it scales linearly since the body has mechanisms to deal with them (higher tissue turnover, etc.).

ok, fair enough, but if a persons chest cavity is 30% bigger, then that would assume that his organs were also bigger and better prepared, no?

I am thinking of two men standing next to each other, each with <15% body fat, each 5 foot 8. one has 40 inch shoulders, one has 60 inch shoulders. won't the organs of the broader man be larger to fill in the larger chest cavity? won't that take up the extra work involved? I don't know, I am asking.

No. Smooth tissue (what constitutes most organs) doesn't hypertrophy like skeletal tissue, nor is hypertrophy of skeletal tissue necessarily indicative of any increases in anything other than size itself. Specifically, the potential for the lungs to be larger in a larger-framed man doesn't mean they will be nor does it indicate any kind of 'better' aerobic potential (it's a much more complicated system involving multiple organ systems and energy pathways). Even cardiac tissue, which has the ability to grow in size with a usual concomitant increase in aerobic and anaerobic ability, will not grow to massive sizes nor is the entire organ capable of a growing in response to stresses -- only the ventricles tend to grow.

The liver can grow in size, but this is to accomodate carbohydrate and fat storage and not to increase its ability. Other organs like the stomach can stretch, but this again is not growth of the tissue itself.

And beyond the organs themselves, the lymph system, hormones, vascular systems, etc. do not function at all like the skeletal system.

Your query is kind of like saying Shaq is smarter than Steve Nash because his head is bigger. It just doesn't work like that.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why

Your query is kind of like saying Shaq is smarter than Steve Nash because his head is bigger. It just doesn't work like that.

I'll take your word on it, but what the **** is in there, then? I think that it is relativly common to have pretty big differences in the external diameters of chest cavities in people, even if their body fat level is relativly similar. I am just puzzled - if a person's chest is 45 inches compared to someobody whose chest is 38 inches, that is a lot of space on the inside. what is filling that cavity?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll take your word on it, but what the **** is in there, then? I think that it is relativly common to have pretty big differences in the external diameters of chest cavities in people, even if their body fat level is relativly similar. I am just puzzled - if a person's chest is 45 inches compared to someobody whose chest is 38 inches, that is a lot of space on the inside. what is filling that cavity?

Some people have bones that are shaped differently and their organs are in different places. Using a standarized measurement like the underarm chest measurement will produce different results on different shapes and does not necessarily indicate a greater overall thoracic volume. Also, the cavity does not need to be filled with organs and other tissues. Someone who knows more about anatomy can tell you more, but specific to this discussion the spatial aspect of tissues is irrelevant.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Some people have bones that are shaped differently and their organs are in different places. Using a standarized measurement like the underarm chest measurement will produce different results on different shapes and does not necessarily indicate a greater overall thoracic volume. Also, the cavity does not need to be filled with organs and other tissues. Someone who knows more about anatomy can tell you more, but specific to this discussion the spatial aspect of tissues is irrelevant.

fair enough, it just seems counter intuitive that a 250 pound person (assuming 10% body fat) will have the same organ size as a 150 pounder person, with the same level of body fat. but I don't know that that is or isn't the case. I find it interesting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads