• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit - best value suit and where to buy

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rgoldstein
Syms. I bought 2 Jones New York two button, two piece affairs for 100 bucks total (Thats 50 dollars a suit) just the other day (needed to fortify the work rotation). Clearance rack is yore friend. Not incredible quality but certainly great for the price. Even their full price suits are a great value. Alterations are free if you buy 2 or more suits.

That or the Men's Wearhouse. If you just need a solid suit either will work.

For a little more high line stuff try Brooks Bros. Great traditional cuts usually under 1000 bucks.

Jos. A Bank is good for the working guy, but if you're looking for really fashionable stuff you'll be letdown.

Even Macy's carries surprisingly nice stuff if you're willing to spend a little money.

Value does not mean "CHEAP."

Macys, JAB, and Men's Wearhouse are not good values.

And there have been countless threads on this subject. Use the google forum search for more that 30 seconds and you will find answers in depth.

rgoldstein

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Value does not mean "CHEAP." Macys, JAB, and Men's Wearhouse are not good values. And there have been countless threads on this subject. Use the google forum search for more that 30 seconds and you will find answers in depth.
Its really down to a matter of what you're using the suit for and what you can afford to spend. If you're just out of college like myself and interviewing for jobs / working at your first job you typically can't afford to spend $3,000 on a full work rotation of suits, and one or two suits, however quality, just isn't sufficient to make it through the week without looking silly for simply alternating two suits. I understand that the places I've suggested are not exactly purveyors of the finest tailoring (I would argue with you about JAB, but thats off topic), but I have never found fault with their products for what I use them for (solid suiting for places where you need to look professional but total, utter quality is not as much of an issue). If you dig for what you want and bother to get it altered to fit you nobody will know the difference, and you'll still look better than 90% of the people you come across if you know how to put it all together. Thats all I'm saying. It would help to know what he will be using it for. True, everyone needs a Rubinacci, Canali, Giorgio Armani, MTM etc. in their closet at some point, but find me a guy who considers them practical.

Reaction score
From the informaton provided and further reading in other threads I think I am going with JAB or BB. One reason I think these may be the best option is because I need a sales staff that is educated on the subject since I know very little. I have learned a lot reading the forum, but when I get in the store I know I am going to have a lot of questions. I need a new suit that is good for interviews and weddings. I thinking about gray or charcoal with a discreet pinstripe. A plain suit seems so boring and this is coming from a conservative person. Would a discreet pinstipe be a issue for an interview suit? It appears BB is about twice as much as JAB. In general will the appearance (fit and construction) of BB worth the price difference?

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thisguyneedsasuit
From the informaton provided and further reading in other threads I think I am going with JAB or BB. One reason I think these may be the best option is because I need a sales staff that is educated on the subject since I know very little. I have learned a lot reading the forum, but when I get in the store I know I am going to have a lot of questions. I need a new suit that is good for interviews and weddings. I thinking about gray or charcoal with a discreet pinstripe. A plain suit seems so boring and this is coming from a conservative person. Would a discreet pinstipe be a issue for an interview suit? It appears BB is about twice as much as JAB. In general will the appearance (fit and construction) of BB worth the price difference?

Damn right it is. BB is on sale right now.

BB is half canvas construction, has better stitching, nicer lapels, nicer fabrics, and generally a more knowledgeable staff.

JAB has.... sales. All the ******* time....
facepalm.gif

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rgoldstein
I understand that the places I've suggested are not exactly purveyors of the finest tailoring (I would argue with you about JAB, but thats off topic), but I have never found fault with their products for what I use them for (solid suiting for places where you need to look professional but total, utter quality is not as much of an issue). If you dig for what you want and bother to get it altered to fit you nobody will know the difference, and you'll still look better than 90% of the people you come across if you know how to put it all together. Thats all I'm saying. It would help to know what he will be using it for. True, everyone needs a Rubinacci, Canali, Giorgio Armani, MTM etc. in their closet at some point, but find me a guy who considers them practical.
I an likewise just out of college (well, 3 years out now, but still in grad school). But even so, with a emphasis on the time-cost of JAB v. Brooks, JAB can't hold a candle. Their suits are ugly terrible mass produced Chinese monstrosities of poor quality and fit. Brooks 1818, on the other hand, is of a decent construction and will likely last until the OP outgrows it.
JAB is garbage. Don't even consider it, or let their "Buy One Get Two Free" siren's song entice you. Just think about the markup - JAB is still making money @ three suits for the price of one. The quality is atrocious. Get a BB 1818 after Jan 5th. Get a solid charcoal or navy. It's absolutely worth it.
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Damn right it is. BB is on sale right now. BB is half canvas construction, has better stitching, nicer lapels, nicer fabrics, and generally a more knowledgeable staff. JAB has.... sales. All the ******* time....
facepalm.gif

I will say it again, JAB is garbage.

Reaction score
Why should I wait until the 5th to buy a 1818 suit? Currently the suits are 30% off through the 4th. Will there be a deeper discount on the 5th?
Does anyone know how often BB has suit sales and the usual discounts?

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Get a BB 1818 after Jan 5th. Get a solid charcoal or navy. It's absolutely worth it.

Why wait until after Jan 5th? Are they having a better sale than they have right now? I thought their additional 15% off on Christmas was one of their better recent sales. You can wait for another sale, but who knows when that'll be and how much off the discount it will be.

seppe

Reaction score
Buy the nicest suit you can afford but stay within your budget. This should be a fun process for you and money stress will take some of the enjoyment out of it. Therefore, buy only what you can comfortably afford. And remember: the fit is as important (actually more imho)than the material so make sure it is tailored. With a nice fitting new suit you'll look great. Then start saving for the next one and upgrade as you are able.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timeless Fashion
Why wait until after Jan 5th? Are they having a better sale than they have right now? I thought their additional 15% off on Christmas was one of their better recent sales. You can wait for another sale, but who knows when that'll be and how much off the discount it will be.

50% off starting Jan 5th.

supersan7

Reaction score
Many people on SF seem to like to rip JAB. Fwiw, my pop owned Armani, Barberi and other nice suits, ran a 3,000 person company that went public on Wall St. and later sold his shares to make a large bundle and he has said 5 times he thinks JAB suits are good and thinks the people attacking them on here are full of it.

My brother lives in Park Slope, a pricey neighborhood in Brooklyn and makes maybe $400k a year and he told me today he's bought every suit the last 18 years at JAB, and that he knows bankers in NYC and others who buy suits there. He just bought 2 there last year and he does the mid-range ones and not the Gold. He has to meet with some fairly important folks occasionally and he's extremely successful.

I only bring up their particulars to give context, not to brag (nobody knows me on here due to user name so it's not possible to brag, nor any reason to impress anyone). I only say it so you don't think they're some average joes. My sister in law is very into fashion (probably amongst the most of people I know) and brands - and she likes his suits.

I myself know very little about suits, yet for a practical suit, JABs seem fine.

The other thing to consider is this: suit fashions (lapel sizes etc.) change fairly quickly so whatever you get is going to be out of fashion in I'd guess 5-8 years so the whole thing of "great construction that will last you a lifetime" that some people on here play up may not matter all that much as it's likely going to be out of style soon anyway. My Dad retired and has 15 suits in his closet. I tried to find some that would work for me, and only 2 out of 15 were still in fashion.
You might well find better deals or value with putting a lot of time in searching clearance racks etc. but it seems the JAB 3 for 1 provides value if you need 3 suits. Obviously their retail is very high so don't do full retail of course.

I just went to the BB site where the 50% off sale already began for 1818s and there are only a tiny # of sizes - mostly huge ones. Maybe the stores will have more, but if they are similar to the site, it looks like a waste of time.

I came close to doing the Marco Valentino and other online deals, though my bro pointed out 2 key things: 1 is that you have to try them on in person. I've tried 12 on in stores the last 2 days, and half or more right away aren't right for my body. So if you order a suit online you've never tried in person, 50/50 you're paying shipping each way on it.

Second thing he said is that you'll pay a lot less for tailoring at a store if you buy it there than going to a tailor, so it seems that is a plus of BB, JAB and stores with tailors.

Also a guy on a thread I started 1 day ago said RL store has a 1,400 suit on sale now for 400 if you like navy or gray pinstripes that I think he said was on par with 1818, and 1818 at half off is still 450 or 500 I think. Check out the thread - it's the only 1 under my username.

Likewise many on here rant against the BB outlets, but I spoke to the manager of the local BB here today and he said he ran an outlet for 8 years and most people can't tell the diff b/t his outlet BB and his retail BB. He said they're having a 40% off sale at the outlet (at least the one near me) and that you can get a good one for $250 or $300. Good luck.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the vast majority of the populace cannot tell how much your suit cost because they are ignorant.

Style does not go out of fashion. The classics only goes out of fashion to people who buy into fashion. Medium lapels and correct fit will last you until the suit is replaced by something else entirely.

For smart people, your family doesn't seem to get it. If your going to buy JAB, why the **** would you buy the more expensive line? The executive line is the practical suit thats cheap. And since your just going by how you look, it doesn't look any different either.

For the record, I never bashed the executive line. Just the "sticker price."

If your buying online, you need to know your suit measurements. Shoulder measurement is the most important. Everything else can be taken in. Obviously, you do not buy a slim fitting suit if your overweight. However, you can slim down a bigger suit. No OTR suit will ever fit you perfectly unless you by chance match the body mold they used to make the suit. So your going to have to tailor it anyway.

You are incorrect. In house alterations are the same price as outside alterations unless your paying full price at Nordstroms, BB, or another high end store that charges so much they do alterations for free (but your clearly advocating JAB, which does not offer free tailoring). Do more research. In fact, sometimes outside alterations are less expensive. As for quality, it really depends on the store. In my city, MW and JAB tailors are horrible. There are tailors who charge less and those who charge more. So far, the tailors that charge more charge more because they do a job many times better.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by supersan7
Many people on SF seem to like to rip JAB. Fwiw, my pop owned Armani, Barberi and other nice suits, ran a 3,000 person company that went public on Wall St. and later sold his shares to make a large bundle and he has said 5 times he thinks JAB suits are good and thinks the people attacking them on here are full of it.

My brother lives in Park Slope, a pricey neighborhood in Brooklyn and makes maybe $400k a year and he told me today he's bought every suit the last 18 years at JAB, and that he knows bankers in NYC and others who buy suits there. He just bought 2 there last year and he does the mid-range ones and not the Gold. He has to meet with some fairly important folks occasionally and he's extremely successful.

Too long. Ben Bernanke is a regular JAB customer. However, being a successful businessman does NOT mean one knows anything about clothes and quality.

Reaction score
Do you have a link to the 50% sale starting on the 5th?
Thanks for the information concerning Polo. Does anyone know what line of suits they sell at their outlets? Are the same line or quality as a normal Polo store?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information concerning Polo. Does anyone know what line of suits they sell at their outlets? Are the same line or quality as a normal Polo store?

I'm interested too. Is it just suits or shoes that will be 50% off as well?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
I'm interested too. Is it just suits or shoes that will be 50% off as well?

Link (sorta).

Polo suits are the same in outlets as retail.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads