• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going on a Diet

mayonaise

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Are you seriously suggesting the guy replace lunch/dinner with a little cubical of dark chocolate?
smile.gif
Well, I suppose he could lose weight that way, the majority of which would be lean body tissue/muscle..

Haha, I didn't mean dark chocolate as a meal replacement, more as a weapon to fight a sweet tooth. It can help with candy cravings.

seoulfully

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmwrestle
i will probably allow myself tomorrow as a cheat day to reward myself on all my progress (plus its playoff pats game). but i think i deserve it to indulge a little.

hey, first off, sorry about your pats. secondly, everyone's posting killer tips for a realistic and healthy weight loss. i'd add that rather than a cheat day, you should consider a cheat meal. i know a day gives you more to look forward to, but trust me, as you progress, when you get to your cheat meal, you'll (a) think it's not worth it to eat the drivel/cheat food and (b) actually prefer eating healthier options and won't really need the cheat meal.

i'm right there with you. i had some leg issues last fall that stopped me from running. i need to drop like 20-25 lbs. keep at it man. there are definitely going to be times you feel low. but just hit up a message here and i'm sure you'll get tons of support and great advice. (btw, there are a TON of online weight trackers for free that you can use as a signature etc if you don't feel like typing in the info every time.)

kmwrestle

Reaction score
Starting weight 12/5/06: 416.5 lbs
Goal weight: 250 lbs
Current Weight as of 1/27/07: 383.5 lbs
Amount needed to hit target: 133.5 lbs
Total amount lost: 33 lbs

my original goal was to be 380 by the end of january, losing a total of 36.5lbs in my first month. it looks like this should definetly be reached which is good.

Valgar

Reaction score
I usually save my cheat meal for when I go out with friends and they decide to eat out, or work related meetings. Otherwise I don't like taking them...except for spaghetti.

kmwrestle

Reaction score
ive realized how hard goin on a diet is. the temptations here temptations there, work dinners here, superbowl here. the past week hasnt exactly been the most focused for me, probably contributed to a heavy work load. i gave in to some chinese food on thursday, went out to dinner for work on saturday and superbowl on sunday. those 3 days were killer for me, but i managed to get back on track monday which is good. Ive also hit 40lbs lost which is a lot of success for me. the only downside to this is my boss bought me a mtm suit in dec for xmas. i went to get fitted and im swimmin in it, they didnt seem confident in being able to take it enough for the amount ive lost.

Current Weight as of 2/8/07: 375.5 lbs
Amount needed to hit target: 125.5 lbs
Total amount lost: 41 lbs

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmwrestle
ive realized how hard goin on a diet is. the temptations here temptations there, work dinners here, superbowl here. the past week hasnt exactly been the most focused for me, probably contributed to a heavy work load. i gave in to some chinese food on thursday, went out to dinner for work on saturday and superbowl on sunday. those 3 days were killer for me, but i managed to get back on track monday which is good. Ive also hit 40lbs lost which is a lot of success for me. the only downside to this is my boss bought me a mtm suit in dec for xmas. i went to get fitted and im swimmin in it, they didnt seem confident in being able to take it enough for the amount ive lost.

Current Weight as of 2/8/07: 375.5 lbs
Amount needed to hit target: 125.5 lbs
Total amount lost: 41 lbs

There's nothing inherently bad about Chinese food (in China, they just call it "food"
smile.gif
) and it's probably better for you than most. Unless it's the fried US variant.

Good work

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've lost just over 25% of what your aiming for. Good work!

kmwrestle

Reaction score
Reviving an old thread.
Well after my last post things went down hill. The person I worked with that was pushing me to lose the weight quit, and so did I with the diet. Over the next 2.5 years I gained all of it back and then some. As of Oct 12 2009 I weighed in at an all time High of 455. Since then I have been extremely focused to not be disgusting anymore. I am now trying to lose 156lbs to get under 300 and I will then reevaluate my progress and goals based on body fat percentage.

Update as of 12/20/09
Start Weight 10/12/09: 455lbs
Goal Weight: 299lbs
Current Weight 12/20/09: 401
Total Loss: 54lbs
To Go: 102lbs

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First question - I glanced through the thread and didn't see it asked explicitly: Do you cook at home or do you eat outside?

Rule 1 for losing weight: Cook at home and pack everything you eat for the day. Weight loss is a numbers game and if you are serious about it, you need to keep track of what you eat and how much.

Also, can you post your grocery shopping list for the week? What kinds of things do you buy to have at home?

kmwrestle

Reaction score
a typical day for me diet wise:
Breakfast: Nutrigrain Bar
Lunch:
a. can of cambells chicken soup with a turkey sandwich(turkey, cheese, whole wheat bread)
b. field green salad with feta cheese, grilled chicken and balsamic vinegrette
snacks (3-4 per day)
a. almonds
b. can of tuna
c. 100 calorie packs of muffins or cookies
d. clementine, apple, carrots
e. individual size bar of sharp cheddar cheese
dinner:
piece of meat (chicken, pork, beef, salmon, haddock, tuna)
vegetable (approx 8 oz)

desert : piece of dark chocholate if I am craving something sweet
drinks: water....approx a galon a day

i have been eating this way since oct 12 with no real issues. maybe 1 cheat meal per week

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmmm

that actually doesn't seem like too much

i'm only an amateur but i'd suggest getting rid of the cheese

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was about to say.. how many calories is all of that? If you are indeed a 400 lb man and eating like you are a 120lb woman, that's the surest way to have hunger pangs and succumb to the snacking temptation. I would shoot for 50% of maintenance which I assume you know how to calculate.

Also, I have a bunch of suggestions on changes to your diet, but I don't think it really matters in the grand scheme of things at this stage in your progression - you should just focus on eating (relatively) clean and keeping the calories down.

kmwrestle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oman
hmmm

that actually doesn't seem like too much

i'm only an amateur but i'd suggest getting rid of the cheese

the only reason i eat cheese is because it is my only form of dairy
i cant drink milk for some reason...and don't like cottage cheese

id estimate i'm eating around 1500-2000 calories a day. I figure my maitinence is around 4500. So Im losing close to a pound a day. Normally this isn't healthy but at 400 lbs the risks associated with being that overweight outweigh the way i'm eating in my opinion..... once i get to 300 i will reevaluate everything, focus more on gaining lean mass and losing the remaining fat.

as far as being hungry it usually isn't a problem. more often than not I have gotten to the point where I am forcing myself to eat as much as I am. If I wanted to i could easily go under 1000 calories a day but it is far too unhealthy imo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads