• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Sartorial Evolution. Photos encouraged.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Telefonica
TC..... WOW. Incredible transformation. I've copied some of my fav's below.

Excellent work, sir... simply excellent.

Thanks for the kind words, those are some of my favorites too.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Same coat, 8 months apart. April 2009
2ewo7sw.jpg
December 2009
29c9kqh.jpg

derv

Reaction score
OK - this thread inspired me to graduate from lurking status.

My evolution is just now beginning. I have been lurking around here for a few months, and have upgraded some of my stuff from simply awful to just plain bad in the last month while I learn. Think Perry Ellis shirts, Mens Warehouse (the 2 for $500 kind) suits, and grocery-store ties. The fanciest I got was AE shoes.

Upgraded some stuff recently with the goal of trying to gain some confidence. Not much of a leap just yet - nicer, but still crappy suits like Lauren and HSM, but most importantly finding shirts that actually fit me better (still grocery-store being Ben Shermans, but the fit is what I am after). Bought some nicer ties and another pair of AE's.

I don't even know what to ask let alone where to go from here, but I guess I find myself wanting to develop a fit first before developing style. I am only 145# at 6' so it has always been tricky for me and always easy to mask my thin figure with overly baggy clothes. Gaining confidence wearing clothes that actually fit will likely be my biggest hurdle, but one I am ready to conquer.

Stay tuned...I guess...and thank you all very much for the inspiration. Hopefully my evolution will be noteworthy enough to post some pics here sooner than later.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fun thread OK, here's my story: I grew up with a maternal grandfather who was a tailor; he and my grandmother (who was a seamstress) made mostly men's custom suits in the Savannah, GA area. My dad was also something of a dandy when he was in his late 20's - he liked side zip boots with cuban heels, slim suits with wide lapels, and sported a fly moustache. He was like the hetero Label King, but hey, it was the 70's. He was also a 5'4" 130 lb somewhat soft-spoken trial lawyer, so he needed to stand out somehow. My grandfather (his father-in-law) made most of his suits off a single pattern he drew so he could make my dad's wedding suit. I recall him telling my dad not to gain too much weight because he didn't want to redraw the pattern. My father's father was also a dandy, but in the clueless rich-guy mode. Picture Kitonbrioni in the 1930's, with better fit. He liked to hang out with various ne'er-do-wells in the Hollywood, Florida area, and he dressed like the Italian and Jewish transplants from the NE who he hung around with. My tailor grandfather died when I was in high school and only ever made me one suit, but I saw a lot of them being made since my grandparents did a lot of the sewing at the house. In fact, the worst trouble my cousin and I ever got into was running around the house wearing a sleeveless, just basted jacket. In retrospect, I'm sure we destroyed it. So I knew about tailoring but really didn't ever think it was relevant to my life until I was much older. I have no idea how, with that background, I ended up so clueless. Part of it was that every male adult I knew wore a suit, so I didn't want to. The other part is I think that, when I finally had to dress up for work, Kitonbrioni grandfather might have been a bigger influence. Also, by that time my dad had moved on and needed to look less fashion forward - something to do with the public trust
smile.gif
My freshman year of HS, all my suits were rented:
n517806163_1522027_6577.jpg
I think I had the SW&D look down ok by my soph year:
8224_173857221406_646506406_3643634.jpg
P.S. - 1000 points if you can ID the guy on the far right, he's semi-famous: I got older and went through a pleated pant phase, but I did OK. This is 1998:
photo11-1-1.jpg
Finally got some suits, started thinking about a bit more coordination. Unfortunately, I was thinking about purple(?). And aren't stripes supposed to be slimming? 2004
n1427081800_30174786_4478-1.jpg
This is me in December 05, doing better rocking the bowtie, but you can't see the horror that is the pants.
178738659_5d732dec98.jpg
In 2006- early 2007, I was still wearing a lot of bowties, but (que horror!) a BLACK suit??? And what's with all the French Blue shirts? I didn't work in the dot.com industry . . . . Nothing here fits right, and shortly after this trip I started to think more about what I was wearing . . . . As a side note this pic illustrates the two reasons I don't **** my assistant, even though I occasionally see her in the bathtub.
524321518_8df34215c3_b.jpg
OK, so I started at AAAC, where according to one douchy poster, I complained too much about people calling Polo "Blue Label." I wore a suit I just sold a lot:
photo.jpg
By the time I got over here in '08 I seemed to favor a lot of pink, but hey, I'm from Florida.
IMG_0290.jpg
Kinda matchy:
Photo44.jpg
Fast forward to more recent times. If anything, I think I've gotten more conservative . . . .
P1000754.jpg
Though still use some color:
meducale.jpg
P1010578.jpg
Though sometimes I still swing and miss . . . .
P1010698.jpg
Looking through those pics was fun, though I'm not sure much has changed since I got here. I started wearing knit ties - stolen directly from PG. Before I saw one of his posts, I hadn't considered a knit tie for 20 years. I've gotten a little more muted in my color palate. Other than that, the constraints of changing sizes, changing finances, and lack of time have kept me pretty much in the same place.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Big, well done. You have indeed become more conservative and I think you dress really well.

Did I read that right? That pic with the bow tie is from 98? You don't look any older 11 years later.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Big, well done. You have indeed become more conservative and I think you dress really well. Did I read that right? That pic with the bow tie is from 98? You don't look any older 11 years later.
No, it was a typo - I had a brain fart. It's from 2005. I don't seem to have many pics from 1998-2003 or so. Actually, I'm sure I do, but they're all in "analog" form. I edited to add a bit of backstory too. Hope it isn't too much b.s. for one thread.

KtownGreg

Reaction score
What a great thread especially at the end of the year. Many great transformations. Kudos to Moo and SG for their evolutions. Big A and TC demonstrate refinement of one's style. I'm still a newbie having only joined SF around 18mos ago. I'll echo the utility of posting scans and receiving feedback.

One of my first fit posts:

WAYWT11-19-200852008-11-19.jpg

Baggy pants, baggy shirt, coat too big

Often not so much. (Who is this bloated guy?)
IMG_2252JPG.jpg

This captured so much that was wrong. Pants, sweater, shirt all needed to go on diet.
Feb-Shots202009-02-05.jpg

IMG_2335.jpg

Casual fits still are a bit of a struggle
IMG_2504.jpg
IMG_2660.jpg

Some better than others
WYAWT_casual63.jpg
IMG_0940.jpg

Still I tried to stay on course finding my style. I love my bows.
IMG_2306.jpg
IMG_2582.jpg
WAYWT50.jpg
IMG_0924.jpg
DBl26.jpg

Perhaps the most dramatic changes in fit are illustrated in my tux...
tux.jpg
Newtux32.jpg

Spent 2009 working on fit
L1020129.jpg

My first pair of post SF pants that fit.
Waywt1216.jpg

WAYWT12.jpg
WAYWT97.jpg
WAYWT35.jpg
today114.jpg
WAYWT72.jpg
L1020147.jpg

My most recent post. Still evolving....
Sale_itemsL1040677BC.jpg

Goals for 2010.
Continue to reduce the number of items in my closet which fit poorly. Buy less, use more.
Seek to better understand use of color and texture.
Allow my personal style to evolve (ie. Learning from SF but not applying group formulas to my fits).

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ktown, that tux before & after is really cool, definitely illustrates what I think is a common evolution for a lot of us. I was sitting in a waiting room this morning surfing SF on my phone and decided that there are a generation of us between the ages of 30 and 50 that were put off track by the prevalence of the Armani silhouette - a baggy mess that never "fit" but was the standard throughout the 80's and even very early 90's. I honestly didn't realize all my stuff was at least a size too big until roughly 2004-2005. We all owe Giorgio a kick in the nads. Thanks TC and JP

stewartu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KtownGreg
What a great thread especially at the end of the year. Many great transformations. Kudos to Moo and SG for their evolutions. Big A and TC demonstrate refinement of one's style. I'm still a newbie having only joined SF around 18mos ago. I'll echo the utility of posting scans and receiving feedback.

One of my first fit posts:

WAYWT11-19-200852008-11-19.jpg

Baggy pants, baggy shirt, coat too big

Often not so much. (Who is this bloated guy?)
IMG_2252JPG.jpg

This captured so much that was wrong. Pants, sweater, shirt all needed to go on diet.
Feb-Shots202009-02-05.jpg

IMG_2335.jpg

Casual fits still are a bit of a struggle
IMG_2504.jpg
IMG_2660.jpg

Some better than others
WYAWT_casual63.jpg
IMG_0940.jpg

Still I tried to stay on course finding my style. I love my bows.
IMG_2306.jpg
IMG_2582.jpg
WAYWT50.jpg
IMG_0924.jpg
DBl26.jpg

Perhaps the most dramatic changes in fit are illustrated in my tux...
tux.jpg
Newtux32.jpg

Spent 2009 working on fit
L1020129.jpg

My first pair of post SF pants that fit.
Waywt1216.jpg

WAYWT12.jpg
WAYWT97.jpg
WAYWT35.jpg
today114.jpg
WAYWT72.jpg
L1020147.jpg

My most recent post. Still evolving....
Sale_itemsL1040677BC.jpg

Goals for 2010.
Continue to reduce the number of items in my closet which fit poorly. Buy less, use more.
Seek to better understand use of color and texture.
Allow my personal style to evolve (ie. Learning from SF but not applying group formulas to my fits).

This is a great post. I think it not only shows your style evolution but also your evolving comfort with your clothes. You look so much more relaxed, comfortable, and natural as this progression of photos evolves. How much weight did you lose? I would guess 20-25 pounds? If not that much then it is a great illustration of how much fit can affect body style.

Great job. Best wishes for 2010 and nicely done!

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
KTown... awesome stuff. You've really improved your look. It looks like you lost some weight, trimmed your clothing and grew a beard. I think it all works really, really well. Keep up the good work!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads