• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alias
Just received my Context tankers today. They're pretty nice, although the price is a bit steep. Sucks to read about problems people are having with their Aldens, but I'll keep a close eye on mine as I wear them in.

I'm a perfect 7D US and contrary to suggestions ordered my boots in size 7. The boots fit very well. I feel if I had ordered a 6.5 they would be unbearably snug. But that's just me.

Nice choice, I'm actually wearing my Context Tankers today. I have had a little bit of the edges of the commando sole coming unglued slightly but only on the sides a little which is probably from me dragging it on the carpet as I sit at my desk at work. I don't think it's anything that would cause any issues long term. Overall these boots have broken in beautifully, I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

Arizor

Reaction score
Thanks Trapp
smile.gif
. Yes they only made twelve, though Mike tells me they're probably the most popular boot he's ever had, so I'm sure they will be releasing more in the future.

WatchGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alias
Just received my Context tankers today. They're pretty nice, although the price is a bit steep. Sucks to read about problems people are having with their Aldens, but I'll keep a close eye on mine as I wear them in.

The back tab on my tankers broke the second time I wore them. They don't seem to be as good of quality as my other Alden boots. Context has been great in accommodating me (offered to send them to Alden for repair or reimburse me for local repair). But, sending them back to Alden will take about a month and I would rather have Alden to it than anyone local. It sucks because I had to wait over a month to get them in the first place.

Recommendation: don't use the tab to pull the boots on. They are not reinforced enough for that. Kind-of disappointing since they are a 'tanker'.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WatchGuy
The back tab on my tankers broke the second time I wore them. They don't seem to be as good of quality as my other Alden boots. Context has been great in accommodating me (offered to send them to Alden for repair or reimburse me for local repair). But, sending them back to Alden will take about a month and I would rather have Alden to it than anyone local. It sucks because I had to wait over a month to get them in the first place.

Recommendation: don't use the tab to pull the boots on. They are not reinforced enough for that. Kind-of disappointing since they are a 'tanker'.

Jesus. This type of stuff should not be happening with $600-$700 boots. So basically, the pull tab on the tankers is non-fuctional and just for appearances.
plain.gif

The cigars look superb. WatchGuy, can you confirm what last those are on? People are wondering.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Disappointing to hear all these little quality complaints which should never happen with shoes of this caliber.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use the pull tabs on my Tankers and mine are just fine, though I have heard the same complaint about some of the LSH Jump boots that did the same thing so I guess it does happen.

Overall Alden quality has always been a little spotty in my experience but overall the boots are nice and the small issues can often be overlooked or easily corrected. My current Tankers and Indy boots are pretty good, but I've seen and handled some that have had their problems. I once sent back two pair of Indy boots for pretty bad quality issues and that turned me off Alden for a solid year or so before I finally gave them another try and then only because I was able to buy them in person and inspect them first.

Still, other than White's Semi-Dress, no other boot visually appeals to be as much as Alden so I'll keep buying them with the knowledge that every now and again a small quality issue is likely to pop up. From what I hear if you send them back to Alden they are very good about taking care of any issues.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slide13
From what I hear if you send them back to Alden they are very good about taking care of any issues.

I've always heard great things about Alden's customer service, so props in that department.

I guess I just don't understand why the same types of issues keep coming up. Some loose stitching here or there is to be expected. But if the pull tabs on the jumpers and tankers break with enough consistency (for at least one person on the second wear?), then why doesn't Alden address this with some re-design? Re-inforce the pull tabs. If that doesn't solve it, stop offering boots with shoddy tabs (just leave them off.) I think it's crap to have pull tabs that break with apparent consistency.

Same thing with the commando sole. Either do it right or stop offering that feature.

Alden makes great shoes and boots, which is the only reason why I care. I just think these issues are things I'd expect in a boot that retails for $75 - $200, not at Alden's price-point.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry about that. He says that they should glue their soles well, and not even bother stitching them, as the glue will hold better than a single stitching around the edge. There is no problem with their being stitched as well, but a bad glue job with stitching means you have to pull off the commando sole well before it is actually worn out if it starts to pull away from the sole, which apparently it does pretty regularly. As far as I can tell, it is a standard leather sole underneath the commando, and when it wears or pulls away you could just remove it, but I'm not sure and both my pairs are currently at the cobbler. I'll look when they come back tomorrow. Edit: It's true that on my monks, the commando sole appears to be stitched/glued over a regular leather sole, but that is not the case with the Ultimate Indys from Leathersoul. The toe of the commando actually goes back under the leather at the toe, which keeps the toe from peeling away from the sole if you catch it on a carpet or something. It can't just peel off, it can only be removed in order to be replaced with another of the same type of sole. I'd forgotten that while I didn't have the boot right in front of me. They came back from the cobbler today and they look great. I'd rather have a $20 repair than have them back at Alden for a month.
Originally Posted by Trapp
^Thanks for the input. It's pretty disappointing considering the cost of these shoes. Are the commando soles simply added to their standard leather outsole? I'm wondering if the commando's can be pulled off, leaving a functional leather sole beneath (and saving the cost of a re-sole). I obviously wouldn't do it unless they become a problem, but in the event that they do start behaving as your's are, I'll want to consider options. What about Aldens does your cobbler complains about? You didn't finish the thought. Anyone else have problems with the commando soles? I seem to remember seeing a lot of praise for them a while back, and I also remember the Alden Shop in SF pushing them for the chukkas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads